Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GT JTD fuel pump issues and other non starters

I need a new fuel pump in the tank as mine is goosed, supplying fuel intermittently to the engine and the plastic casing around the top of the pump is all cracked and leaking diesel

Question is, how does it come out of the tank? I can't see any retaining bolts holding it in but neither will it just lift out

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Mine weeps when the tank is full but the ring is OK as far as I can see so guess the O ring seal is leaking. Made a half hearted attempt to undo it but it didn't budge. There is a special tool to grip it if you want to go to the expense. I thought it might come off more easily if heated "gently" with a hair dryer or some other source of mild heat. Should be OK with diesel.

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
I used to have a flat nosed file which sat nicely on one of the grips, then I could just give it a tap with a hammer and it would start to turn. Heating it with a hairdryer is a good idea, should help loosen it. They're always pretty tight. If its the screw on bit that is cracked and leaking, then it doesn't really matter how you get it off, you could pry bar it if you have to. Then just replace it & the big O-ring seal and you should be alright.

·
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I presume a new top bit will be supplied with a new pump? I'm not going to get a chance to look at it now before Thursday so I'll see what's what then. Cheers all

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Don't know if you'll get one with a new pump......I might well have one, but not back in UK until Sunday......

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
I presume a new top bit will be supplied with a new pump? I'm not going to get a chance to look at it now before Thursday so I'll see what's what then. Cheers all
No it doesn't come with a new pump. I would just get a 2nd hand pump & 2nd hand ring, but buy a brand new seal (p/n 46537483 - less than a tenner).

These fuel pumps very rarely go wrong. I don't have one unfortunately - my fuel pumps all went underwater in the flood - but it shouldn't be expensive to pick up a good 2nd hand one & the ring.

·
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm supposed to be going to Scotland on Saturday and was hoping to take the GT for obvious reasons. Dan no worries and thanks for your input :)

Richard we can catch up when I'm back from Scotland in the new year, if i can get the lot from you if you have any then that'll be the way forward :)

·
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on this. I bought a pump off ebay last weekend and fitted it yesterday. Tested before fitting and works just fine, put the back of the car back together this morning and went out in it. Lo and behold, same problem returns. Intermittent pump working and back to square one

I'm starting to think there was actually nothing wrong with the original pump and that the actual problem is of a dodgy electrical supply nature. Going out soon to **** about with the pump plug and see if any of the connectors are not connecting properly. Failing that, it's off to the garage when i get chance

·
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've messed with the plug that goes into the socket on top of the sender unit/pump and it seems ok so far. Had a quick test drive and it's now been running for 10 minutes or so and fingers crossed it's fine

Never heard of that tdc sensor, any more info and location of it?

·
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to add, the contacts in the plug for the pump were a bit splayed out, I've closed them together in the thinking that they weren't contacting properly

·
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's stopped again. It seems to want to work fine for a while and then stop when it gets warmed up. If that makes a difference to things or if anyone has a theory on this I'm all ears :lol:

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Does it start again when it cools off....after 15 - 20 minutes? If so sounds like crank sensor (probably aka TDC sensor).

·
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not for starting at the mo - hasn't run for over an hour now and it's bloody cold out tonight! That was pretty much how it behaved though, it ran last night just fine, it ran this afternoon just fine but gave up when it got warm. Same again tonight it ran perfect until it got warm and now it's kaput. I'm not going to get a chance to look at it or take it to a garage now until Saturday as I'll be up in Lancaster for work but I'll keep an eye out here for updates and suggestions. I must say, when i realised it stopped when warm, crank sensor was one of the first things that came into my head. Not heard of it referred to as a TDC sensor before, excuse my ignorance

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
It's not for starting at the mo - hasn't run for over an hour now and it's bloody cold out tonight! That was pretty much how it behaved though, it ran last night just fine, it ran this afternoon just fine but gave up when it got warm. Same again tonight it ran perfect until it got warm and now it's kaput. I'm not going to get a chance to look at it or take it to a garage now until Saturday as I'll be up in Lancaster for work but I'll keep an eye out here for updates and suggestions. I must say, when i realised it stopped when warm, crank sensor was one of the first things that came into my head. Not heard of it referred to as a TDC sensor before, excuse my ignorance
that's what the sensor does, tell the ecu when cilinder 1 will pass top dead center...

·
63,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right, update time

The car has had a working fuel sender fitted in the tank and all connections are good
I've fitted a new crank sensor this afternoon along with a new battery
Fuel is being fed from the tank but the car will not start
I do have a glow plug error on the dash but I've always had that, albeit intermittently

Short of blowing the car up, I'm out of ideas

1 - 20 of 31 Posts