Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I decided to do the 42,000 3 year service myself after being quoted £370 :eek:

I changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter. This is how i did it:-

1. Buy parts. I get mine at trade cost, £60 all in.
2. Get the car warm, take it for a 15 minute run so the oil is nice and hot.
3. Jack the front of the car up, support on axle stands and remove the bottom cover (torque screws and 10mm nuts)

Oil and filter change

4. Using an 8mm allen key drain the oil into a tub.

5. Remove oil filter cover

6. Remove oil filter - ensure you have a tub underneath to collect oil spillage

7. Smear clean oil around the new oil filter seal, tighten by hand and using a filter wrench (or gently with grips) tighten a further quarter of a turn
8. Resecure sump plug - do not overtighten.
9. Refill oil using correct grade oil, I put 4.25L of oil back in, checked it on dip stick (it showed 3/4 full) then ran it. Topped up to correct level next day to get an accurate level - do not overfill!
10. Check for leaks!

Fuel Filter Change

1. Remove engine cover

2. Remove the quick release fuel pipes and electrical connectors from the filter housing. NOTE: - there is an electrical connector on the base of the filter. Be carefull not to yank the unit upwards when removing.

3. Seperate the filter from the housing

4. Oil up the seals and replace the new filter

5. Reconnect all the pipes and electricals
6. Wipe away any fuel spillages.
7. Start the car (it will start after a few turns while the filter self primes) and check for leaks

Air filter change

1. As above remove the engine cover, jack up and support the car and remove the bottom cover
2. Working on top of the engine remove the snorkle intake

3. To gain better movement of the air box I also removed the fuse box and fuse box base

4. Working under the car, lift the box out of the bottom bracket (or pull the braket down gently to release) undo the two air filter box securing clasps, open the box and pull out the filter - Watch out for debris falling into your eyes!
5. Open the box at the bottom as wide as possible and feed in the new filter (sorry no pics). The filter should sit in very easily. Close the box and re-secure the fastening clips.
6. Reconnect all the bits in reverse order.

It took me 2 hours to complete all of the above, very straight forward. Hope this helps some of you save a few quid, obviously there may be easier ways to do this, and of course you attempt this at your own risk. The only thing I cannot do is reset the service light :( so I suppose I will have to get that sorted now.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great post superfly!
Always good to see so many photos as well.
And best of all you know its been done properly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Great post mate. Im sure it will be an excellent help and money-saver to many on here :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
£370 :wow: what a rip off, I get all that done + pollen filter (and I'm sure something else) for £200 ... (in expensive surrey!!!!)

·
Registered
240 Posts
what about the condition of all the various bushes & ball joints?
dont rely on an MOT of picking it up. Did you change the cabin/pollen filter, are the belts good?check the timing belt? brake pads? brake & clutch fluid?
The service does consist of more than the oils and filters, but a first class effort!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont rely on an MOT of picking it up. Did you change the cabin/pollen filter, are the belts good?check the timing belt? brake pads? brake & clutch fluid?
The service does consist of more than the oils and filters, but a first class effort!
Yes of course - also the ball joints, steering, suspension, brake and fuel pipes, coolant antifreeze etc............the thing is this was always a basic "how to...." guide and I know from experience there are very few places you can take your car and get a "proper" full service.

I've done all my own vehicle servicing including a impreza turbo I owned for 7 years (2 timing belts changed in that period). If you have the correct tools these are jobs you can do yourself. :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
Not so much these days, the don't even take your wheels off on a service. Just give them a shake to listen for knocks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello there, I really liked your service guide - very easy to follow. I managed to do the fuel filter without any trouble. But trying to get the bottom cover off was a nightmare - the last two 10mm bolts on the left hand side just wouldn't come off. Wanted to jack up the front to make removing the cover easier, but I couldn't see an obvious point for a trolley jack or axle stands with the bottom cover still in place. So 2 questions: 1) where can I jack the front end in one go? and 2) how on earth do I dislodge those last bolts from the bottom cover?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello there, I really liked your service guide - very easy to follow. I managed to do the fuel filter without any trouble. But trying to get the bottom cover off was a nightmare - the last two 10mm bolts on the left hand side just wouldn't come off. Wanted to jack up the front to make removing the cover easier, but I couldn't see an obvious point for a trolley jack or axle stands with the bottom cover still in place. So 2 questions: 1) where can I jack the front end in one go? and 2) how on earth do I dislodge those last bolts from the bottom cover?

Thanks!
Jacking up -have you spotted the upside down triangle on the side skirt? ...then the ridge that is slightly underneath the car is a jacking point ...but usually for a jack that has a groove (like most scissor jacks). For a trolley jack, without a groove ....in a similar vicinity to the upside down triangle, but much more underneath the car, is a metal bit that protrudes, with a hole in it ....this is also a jack point and an axle stand point. The problem lies when you jack the car up here with a trolley, but then have to use a different area for the axle stand. So maybe a trolley with a block of wood that has a groove cut out is the way forward!

The cover comes off easily ....but only if the car is jacked up and you are right underneath the engine ....if you haven't jacked the car up (on axle stands) you ain't getting that cover off! One of my bolts has been threaded ...so be aware of that too.

Look at the big yellow arrows ...they are the metal bits with a hole (not sure if they are rubber on a 156):

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/romeoraider/Alfa%20Romeo/156front.jpg

hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It certainly does! I did the job last night - your instructions were brill, really clear and made the whole thing a piece of cake. Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its model / age dependant. Checked with Alfa and they wanted £25 to do this. However things may have changed since I wrote this several years back. Also parts are available cheap from eurocarparts or carparts4less.

Moved on to a BMW 335d now so its been a while since i was on here.........

Good luck.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just had my Astravan MOTd and serviced - £110 all in (including fixing a broken brake light).
I paid more than that to fix the door handle on my same-year GT!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
hi there, great guide, followed it for my 156, however... any one knows how to change pollen filters for a 156?
Yea you need a (I think a 7mm socket) then twist yourself into a contorted position under the passenger side dash and undo the L shape plastic part and take out the old and replace with the new (the old maybe one piece and the new 2 piece it makes no difference ) then when you are done you have to somehow untwist yourself and get back out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was my first time doing something like this and thanks to this DIY was not difficult.
Took me 3h to do everything ... now my GT is ready for my road trip.

Thanks mate for this DIY

1 - 20 of 25 Posts