Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1.9 JTD GT with 34k miles on the clock and I'm not getting nowhere near the promised MPG, nor on Computer, nor in real life. I'm now been doing over 95% motorway miles taking it easy and still can't get above 42mpg. Nowhere near 56 or even close to that.

Where do I start looking first. What in your opinion would most likely be the reason. I'm pretty sure the last owner wasn't looking after the poor girl that well. All I done so far is put expensive diesel engine cleaner (wynn's formula gold) but that didn't seam to make much difference. Plus I checked all the tyres are properly inflated.

Car idles just fine. I don't see it smoking a lot or something. Seems to be going just fine. 1 Thing I noticed that computer says oil level is maximum which according to manual shouldn't be the case and it should be restored to normal but don't think that has to do anything w consumpt..

So would i look into changing glow plugs? Air filter? Fuel filter? Or what are ur suggestions.

Thanx in advance.

P.S. I have a non centering very stiff gear leaver problem. Is it changing them gear linkage bushes is the cure? And where can I buy them, couldn't find on ebay :(

And did anyone actually succesfully tried curing heavy clutch syndrome? Gives me a sore leg after all day driving in town and I like to think i'm a fit lad :)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Cars never reach their published figures as they are obtained under laboratory conditions. Your sounds about right from what I've read on here.
Having said that my 1.6TS gives me over 40mpg!

·
Registered
912 Posts
On a long motorway drive, doing about 75-80mph I get about 50mpg.

I'd start with the air filter. When was it last serviced?

Air filter is a biatch to change so may not have been done :tut:

I'd also change the fuel filter which is quite an easy job and run some Forte Advanced Diesel Treatment through your fuel system. It's the best stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forte-Advanced-Formula-Diesel-Treatment-400ml-DIESEL-CARS-LIMITED-OFFER-/190610469915?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6144f41b

Oil level showing Max on the dash is normal. Better to use the dipstick as a gauge.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
yep you're down on mpg, i get that soley round town.

i would start by cleaning EGR out and go from there. maybe investigate MAF.

check your actual MPG though, info centres often spout crap!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Owned my GT(1.9 150) since 2009 and averaged 42-47mpg on mixed driving. did a 1500mile round trip to Scotland taking it easy an hit the 50 mark,but have never seen 50 since!. Usually get 500miles to the tank:)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Virtually always get 500+ miles per tank, even on commuting runs across Birmingham.

Real mpg versus the computer is usually within a reasonable accuracy range on mine. I spent a few months doing the Fuelly updates and the two readings were within 2mpg over that time.

After a good service my mpg went up, as did response and pulling power. The air filter hadn't been changed in a long time.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Mixed driving mainly A roads and the odd motorway I got 39mpg out of my 1.9 tractor. The trip said nearly 42mpg. I am also not convinced my thermostat is working properly as it only gets to 75°

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
new air filter and clean air box out with damp cloth ....amazing how many maf's fail soon after this simple task .....new fuel filter ........glow plugs leave alone unless you have starting problems

stiff gear linkage ....... strip clean and grease

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
my info centre is almost correct if my trip counter is to be belived and I get above 50mps somtimes I aim for like 56mpg but its not often I get because I like to "enjoy" the car, though I will say there are times when the car dont feel quite so quick as normal and I have noticed the fuel economy drops a bit at the same time but next day its fine again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanx very much everybody for response. I'll do the service (starting with air filter and cleaning the box and making sure maf is in order. Test for the difference and then work the way down) Will post my findings.

Merry Xmas for now tho!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think i should do that too, in general my GT 1.9jtd doing average 35-37 mpg, but after I haven't drive it for 3 days . and she running down to 23 mpg on 30miles town road and today slightly better 27mpg on mixed 26miles .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts