Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you sitting comfortably ... then we shall begin....

Once a upon a time I had a licence plate lamp warning light appear, this I thought would be sorted by a bulb replacement when it was next taken to my mechanic aforalpha.co.uk.

Problem was before it had a chance for a visit I noticed one day that my reverse lights were not working, although on-board computer had and still has not notifed of this. Oh well another challenge for Paul (my mechanic, well not mine but the guy I take it to).

But low and behold before it had a chance to get there we had a foggy evening and I went to switch on the rear fogs and got another lovely message on the on-board computer informing of rear fog lamp failure.

Oh well another challenge for Pail, only when it got to Paul he checked the bulbs and had the car in bits checking contacts and earth points along until the fuse box with out finding a fault. woe is me, and £140 quid lighter.

Funny thing is if switch on the rear fogs, the nsr (near side rear) license plate bulb comes on and even wireder (is that a word) is that put into reverse and the osr license buld some on !

Anybody got any words of wisdom, Paul has suggest an auto electrican but I am not so sure.

By the way its on my 6year old GT which I love but this fault is going to get in trouble at the MOT !

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Are you sitting comfortably ... then we shall begin....

Once a upon a time I had a licence plate lamp warning light appear, this I thought would be sorted by a bulb replacement when it was next taken to my mechanic aforalpha.co.uk.

Problem was before it had a chance for a visit I noticed one day that my reverse lights were not working, although on-board computer had and still has not notifed of this. Oh well another challenge for Paul (my mechanic, well not mine but the guy I take it to).

But low and behold before it had a chance to get there we had a foggy evening and I went to switch on the rear fogs and got another lovely message on the on-board computer informing of rear fog lamp failure.

Oh well another challenge for Pail, only when it got to Paul he checked the bulbs and had the car in bits checking contacts and earth points along until the fuse box with out finding a fault. woe is me, and £140 quid lighter.

Funny thing is if switch on the rear fogs, the nsr (near side rear) license plate bulb comes on and even wireder (is that a word) is that put into reverse and the osr license buld some on !

Anybody got any words of wisdom, Paul has suggest an auto electrican but I am not so sure.

By the way its on my 6year old GT which I love but this fault is going to get in trouble at the MOT !
sounds to me, like you have a very bad earth:thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As you might of guessed I am no mechanic, so my next question is what and where to check for bad earth. Do each of the light units have an earth. What should I be asking an auto electrican or is this a job for the main dealer.

If there is only one earth how come my rear lights, brake lights and indicators are not affected.

It would sort o make sense that the fogs and reverse lights might play up together as they are one unit but how are they linked with the number plate ?

Any further suggestions much appricated.

Suggestions please

1 - 4 of 4 Posts