Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy comrades!! Just ordered a Nokia CK7W handsfree kit for installing into the GT. I have the standard head unit that came in the car (not BOSE) and no CD changer. Although I'll have help from a mate who knows more about cars than I do(nothing!) just wondering if anyone can:

a. Let me know if i need any extra leads etc. in addition to what comes with the kit.
b. Let me know of any ballaches/tricky parts to the installation that we need to take extra care for.
c. If poss, can someone do an idiots guide to the basic steps for installation.

Any other tips / tricks would be very much appreciated!

Barney

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not sure if it comes with a radio muting lead - I am getting a Bury kit installed in a GT at the weekend, I like these kits because they will charge the phone as well.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
A phone kit typically requires two powerwire connections (same for most incar electronics), so it's worth pointing out where you can tap into:

1. the main 'constant' powerwire: this is the main power supply to run the kit; you can tap into the wire to the headunit, which is in position A7 in the main power-ISO plug (labelled UB+); the wire is NOT in position A4, which is where the wire exists in most other brands of car; if the phone kit has ISO plugs, you may need to alter the wiring
2. the switched 'ignition' powerwire: this triggers the unit on/off when you turn the ignition key to ON; you can tap into the cigarette lighter powerwire, which is the MIDDLE wire of 3 in the plug; there is no ignition wire in the GT ISO plug (unlike other brands of car where it is usually in position A7)

Without knowing what leads come with the kit, I can't comment on what extras may be required. But I'm guessing nothing extra is required, aside from maybe spare wire to extend to the cig lighter powerwire.

To join the powerwires, you may wish to solder and insulate, or cut-shut and maybe use crimp-on bullet terminals. So you'd need all the gear for that.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thanks for the gen fellas, kit should arrive today so I will let you know if I am missing any of the neccesary items.
Another question I have is how easy is it to route cabling throughout the cabin? I deally I would like to route the microphone up one of the windscreen pillars, then along and mount it on the ceiling lights. Obviously the wiring for the lights run this way, however, I have no idea hot to physically go about taking the trim off to route the wiring! Any ideas? I think i will place the button for acc,rej calls in the ashtray as it is discretr and is used for nothing else at the moment. I presume this will be easier to do because of the short distance between the radio head unit and the ashtray?

Cheers in advance guys.

Barney

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Barney - when I had a kit installed in my current 156 thet installed the microphone next to the base of rear view mirror so both front seats had accesses to it.

There are threads which detail how to remove internat trim just do a search.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Removing the A-pillar is pretty easy. With the door open, pull away the rubber door seal running along the edge of the A-pillar. The A-pillar trim is just clipped in position, so carefully use controlled force to unpop the clips; near the top, the trim is secured to the car with a strap and Allen key bolt; this is to protect the occupants against the A-pillar flying off in an accident (from the curtain airbag above; note, the airbag does not run behind the A-pillar trim, so there's no risk). At the bottom, the trim is wedged between the dash and metal pillar, so just slide it up and away. Plenty of room behind to run a mic wire.

The front edge of the roof trim/lining is not sealed against the windscreen. Just carefully feed the wire along, over the edge of the trim.

You only potential problem is the length of the wire of the mic. Depending on where you position the Nokia main box, the mic may not be long enough to run all the way to the rear view mirror area. You can always cut-shut and extend the wire.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent! thanks very much guys - great help. i think i will put the main box somewhere in the passenger footwell and run the cables from there, hopefuully it'll be long enough - if not, a cut and shut shouldn't be a drama.
Will let you know how it all pans out! Will hopefully put some pics on during the process for anyone else whos interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts