Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right im currently looking at a 2004 GT JTS and i have a few questions...

Whats the JTS engine like?
Does it have a variator, and how reliable is that? when should it be changed..
Any other information you can give me?

Also does anyone know anything about this particular one?
For sale in N4 Cars Sales Alfa Romeo GT SPORTIVO, 3DR, TOP-SPEC, NCT APR-14, TAX SEP-12, NEW T-BELT, VARIATOR and WATER PUMP, AS NEW, ""MUST BE SEEN"", www.N4CARS.ie Petrol 2004 Hatchback for sale in Dublin 20 €4,999
also looking at it today, sais 158k on the clock, cant remember is thats miles of kilometers.. what are they read in? kinda seems a little expensive to me for the miles...

also if anyone is looking for parts for a 2.0L 166, he has one there till tuesday he is looking to scrap and sell parts real cheap. ICS for E30 if i take it out myself... which im considering, need to check it for the CD changer.

·
Administrator
87,304 Posts
Right im currently looking at a 2004 GT JTS and i have a few questions...

Whats the JTS engine like?
Does it have a variator, and how reliable is that? when should it be changed..
Any other information you can give me?

Also does anyone know anything about this particular one?
For sale in N4 Cars Sales Alfa Romeo GT SPORTIVO, 3DR, TOP-SPEC, NCT APR-14, TAX SEP-12, NEW T-BELT, VARIATOR and WATER PUMP, AS NEW, ""MUST BE SEEN"", www.N4CARS.ie Petrol 2004 Hatchback for sale in Dublin 20 €4,999
also looking at it today, sais 158k on the clock, cant remember is thats miles of kilometers.. what are they read in? kinda seems a little expensive to me for the miles...

The JTS doesn't exactly have a great reputation, here's just one thread on the subject http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/336791-alfa-gt-1-8-ts-vs-2-0-jts.html
That being said obviously some people have no issues & are very happy with theirs.

Try a search/have a look here Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum for more general info on the GT & the JTS.

A 2004 car should have Miles not kilometres as the main units, I notice the ad says 98,000 miles/158,000km.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The JTS doesn't exactly have a great reputation, here's just one thread on the subject http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/336791-alfa-gt-1-8-ts-vs-2-0-jts.html
That being said obviously some people have no issues & are very happy with theirs.

Try a search/have a look here Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum for more general info on the GT & the JTS.

A 2004 car should have Miles not kilometres as the main units, I notice the ad says 98,000 miles/158,000km.
ok thanks ill have alook in there so.. but yeah it definatly said 158 on the cars clock, cant remember if the dial was in kilo or miles ... anyone with one that year able to tell me ???

·
Administrator
87,304 Posts
As I said a 2004 car should be miles so if it said 158,000 on the display it should be miles.

Kilometres weren't introduced until 2005 (as part of the EU metric changeover IIRC) & when Alfa changed their clocks to kilometres miles were not also listed, if you look at the pics in the ad you'll see two scales, miles & kilometres.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said a 2004 car should be miles so if it said 158,000 on the display it should be miles.

Kilometres weren't introduced until 2005 (as part of the EU metric changeover IIRC) & when Alfa changed their clocks to kilometres miles were not also listed, if you look at the pics in the ad you'll see two scales, miles & kilometres.
yeah i know i see the 2 scales but that doesnt mean he entered the information right.
generaly when the car starts it will display its standard information, ie. if the car is in miles it will show miles till changed then change back when the turned off and on again..
which mean that in that case its 158k miles not kilometers, and well over priced for that millage.

·
Administrator
87,304 Posts
I though from reading your 1st post that you saw the odometer reading 158K but that you weren't sure if it was miles or kms.

The odometer display only shows miles & cannot be changed to display kilometres AFAIK.

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Well the JTS as quoted
The JTS engine debuted in 2002 in the Alfa Romeo 156.[3] The engine was based on the 2.0 Twin Spark, replacing Twin Spark with direct injection, dubbed "Jet Thrust Stoichiometric". This improved power from 114 kW (155 PS; 153 hp) to 121 kW (165 PS; 162 hp), but more importantly, torque climbed from 187 N·m (138 lb·ft) to 206 N·m (152 lb·ft). In 2003, this engine was introduced to the GTV/Spider coupé and roadster. In spite of its benefits to power, torque and economy, the JTS was not used in the smaller 147 or the larger 166, and much less in other models from the Fiat Group. This was allegedly because the JTS engine cost a lot more to produce than the Twin Spark.

I had a 2ltr Jts in my 156 Ti which was also 2004 (and it was Miles on the ODO) I had a 1.6 TS and also the 2ltr TS and preferred the JTS to be honest . It seemed quicker but it was the torque figure of 143 ( Rolling Road) that made it fel quicker . TBH I never had any problems with the Jts but it seems others may have had . If that GT has 158 Miles on it its not worth it ..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looking at a different GT now.. wondering some things.

first off, Its a 2004 GT 2.0 JTS with about 67k miles on the clock, due a service.
There is also an engine warning light on the dash and the variator is gone or going. (would this cause the engine warning light?) they guy said that when he hooks it up to his computer he can clear the code but that its a general one, with no real information ...

My biggest concern is that warning light, if it is there cos of the variator or if its Jets maybe (i herd this can be an issue with the JTS cars)

hes asking for 3000 Euro and i am thinking of giving that to him since that car seems to go for about 4500-5000 from the dealers and even private ads (hes only looking for what the dealers will give him)

any advice or thoughts are welcome please...

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Link to this gt ?

someone on here will be able to tell you about the code (thats if you can get it from the seller ) If its the one I'm thinking of its for sale a while

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Link to this gt ?

someone on here will be able to tell you about the code (thats if you can get it from the seller ) If its the one I'm thinking of its for sale a while
i asked him what it was, did say earlier yesterday but couldnt remember..
its 'Motor Control System Failure' ... did a search and seems to be the crankshaft sensor is gone.. so easy enough fix, if a little bit of a pig of a job.. so im happy enough.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo/gt/2004-alfa-romeo-gt-for-sale/1911408

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
looking at a different GT now.. wondering some things.

first off, Its a 2004 GT 2.0 JTS with about 67k miles on the clock, due a service.
There is also an engine warning light on the dash and the variator is gone or going. (would this cause the engine warning light?) they guy said that when he hooks it up to his computer he can clear the code but that its a general one, with no real information ...

My biggest concern is that warning light, if it is there cos of the variator or if its Jets maybe (i herd this can be an issue with the JTS cars)

hes asking for 3000 Euro and i am thinking of giving that to him since that car seems to go for about 4500-5000 from the dealers and even private ads (hes only looking for what the dealers will give him)

any advice or thoughts are welcome please...
Bring it to Gerry in TI Autos and ask him....
Only up the road

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
i asked him what it was, did say earlier yesterday but couldnt remember..
its 'Motor Control System Failure' ... did a search and seems to be the crankshaft sensor is gone.. so easy enough fix, if a little bit of a pig of a job.. so im happy enough.

How do you know it's the crank sensor? That light could indicate any number of faults.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you know it's the crank sensor? That light could indicate any number of faults.
i dont know... it was what i found by searching... but anyway went out to check it again and turns out its not.
error code is P1141, Fuel injector issue...
so gonna price the fix up and see what i can do.. still very interested in it, once i know the problem its not a problem anymore :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Get used to the engine light if you buy a jts as electrically it was a bit of a step backwards in the quality department but theory wise it was a step forward.

D

·
0 Posts
Funny we never had an EML light on our 156 or the subsequent owners didn't either, I suspose it depends on how their looked after and by who, who make all the difference to Alfa's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Funny we never had an EML light on our 156 or the subsequent owners didn't either, I suspose it depends on how their looked after and by who, who make all the difference to Alfa's.
Very true but these are cars with less then 3000 miles and at the time Alfa italys heart was broke with them but sure this a forum for everyone to express an opinion but opinions can be like arses as everyone has one

D

·
0 Posts
But I wasn't speaking from opinion I was speaking from fact. The JTS has it's problems but as I said, I blame it due to people be unable to maintain them correctly and lack of good dealers around to fix their issues when they first came out.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
But I wasn't speaking from opinion I was speaking from fact. The JTS has it's problems but as I said, I blame it due to people be unable to maintain them correctly and lack of good dealers around to fix their issues when they first came out.
Well said Damo.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah surprisingly few dealers about now, and Ireland is meant to be the biggest consumer of Alfa Romeo outside of Italy.. go figure.. I guess though have them properly maintained in this case helps greatly to be able to do the work yourself... which is what i generally do :)

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
yeah surprisingly few dealers about now, and Ireland is meant to be the biggest consumer of Alfa Romeo outside of Italy.. go figure.. I guess though have them properly maintained in this case helps greatly to be able to do the work yourself... which is what i generally do :)
Ah great to be able to do your own work and as most of the people on here we are here to help and if your in Dublin Ti Auto's will always help you , as they do know there Alfa's .
Good to know that we are the biggest consumer of Alfa's out side of Italy , that means loads more for me to buy when they get older :thumbs:

Good luck with your new car whatever its going to be , be it JTS or TS , or V6 :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts