Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the GT I bought the other day has had its trip to the lads at Autolusso. I got it for a steal, but there are some issues with her. Potential Swirl flap problems too. I just wish the previous owner had that sorted when they recommended it in 2015!
So, they’ll be taking the manifold off soon and we shall see what shenanigans have happened in the engine. It drives really well, but starts a little rough. Fingers crossed it isn’t too bad! I can’t wait until those damn things have been removed.

Has anyone here had swirl flap issues on the 1.9? What are the usual symptoms?

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I did on my 159 poor starting and lack of power, 3 out of 4 had detached found 2 stuck in cylinder head no 3 had gone through causing head damage and wrecking the Turbo wheel exhaust side. Autolusso recon head,recon turbo,swirl fully deleted,egr blank and delete and it was back to life again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I feel for you. That’s some serious damage caused by those small metal flaps.
May I ask roughly how much it cost to fix it all?
I’m getting myself ready for a potential shocker!

But I know it’s in good hands with Ned and the team at Autolusso.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I did mine myself so no labour involved.
If I remember correct was roughly £600 for all the parts. Exchange head,recon turbo,belt kit,bolts and gasket set then filters and fluids etc.
EGR blank/delete £150.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think you're possibly the first person ever, on AO, to have dodged that bullet. With the vast amount of money saved, get an EGR delete and Stage 1 remap, for a much better car, and put the rest toward a new clutch :)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I’m so relieved it didn’t lose any! Haha
Ha!

I was in your shoes a few years ago... Sent my GT in to Loz at Autolusso Bournemouth for a deflap and a few other jobs... Cue 2 days of anxiety waiting for "the call"...

Turns out everything was still attached and working well in the manifold, but needed a new alternator and crank pulley, as well as a cembelt and waterpump :thumbup:

Glad you got it in on time!

I'm sure Ned will tell you this also, but get the EGR mapped out whilst they've got it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I guess that's the whole point of these forums. The ones with more disposable income do the R&D so the less well off know what to do to avoid ruinous bills.

Frankly anyone with a Euro 4 JTDm which still has swirl flaps and EGR active is just a thrill seeker.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Thank goodness I have a CF3 engine, no swirl flaps and no clogged up DPF.

Another 'thrill seeker' is the water pump. Since that water pump was leaking there was definitely double dosage of living really close to the cliff edge. If keeping that GT make sure you change the belts and water pump every 36,000 miles. I've had one tensioner starting to fail at 32,000 miles and a water pump seizing after only 30,000 miles:titanic:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
...and here's me with 4 pot petrol engines thinking 'meh, I'll get round to changing the pump after it gets to 100k'.
Belt and pulleys are another matter though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I certainly will be looking into the EGR removal. It’ll need a clutch anyway as far as I’m aware. Did not want to go into gear at all when driving it to Autolusso. At one point I even had to turn the engine off just to put it in first, then start it again to pull away ? Is in a little bit of a sorry state right now, but will be a work in progress getting the GT back to how it should be.

Will definitely keep me busy. Currently in the process of looking for new brake pads and discs, and which shocks and springs to fit soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...and here's me with 4 pot petrol engines thinking 'meh, I'll get round to changing the pump after it gets to 100k'.
Belt and pulleys are another matter though.
I know what you mean. I had a 3.2 JTS Brera before and didn’t have to worry about all the water pump/ belt shenanigans.
However, had the constant anxiety it would stretch it’s cam chain and hit me with a random 3k bill ?

So, what do I do? I buy a GT, only to find out they also have a little swirl flap issue that could randomly hit you with a massive bill also! There’s no escape I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts