Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the offside (RH) headlamp from my 2004 3.2V6 GT (the sidelight bulb has failed and the plastic lug has broken off the bulb holder making it impossible to pull the bulb out with the headlamp insitu).
Looking at it, it seems likely that I have to remove the bumper to get the headlamp out, can anyone confirm that this is correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct bumper off job

2 screws on liner , peel it back , 2 bolts attach it to the wing each side. 1 bottom of a strut then just the ones along the top under the bonnet

30 mins and its off if the liner ones ain't rusted to fook .
Thanks Evel.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've managed to remove the sidelight bulb from my GT (twice so far!) even though the tab was broken off the holder. You need narrow long nosed pliers, a mirror l, a torch and a bit of patience..... Use the pliers to grab the side of the holder and you can pull it out (may need a bit of a pull) - use the mirror and torch to see what you are doing. A lot easier than removing the bumper.....!!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris, I'll give it another try after Christmas. Not sure there's room to manoeuvre the pliers, silver pipes (air con?) almost prevent access with fingers!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mine's a JTS with halogen headlamps but the tab was absent on my n/side sidelight bulb holder same as yours. I managed quite easily to remove it simply by pulling it out by the wiring attached to it. The first time I did it was a bit scary. But if you ensure you get the right wires (it is a bit crowded in there) and watch the effect you're having through the headlamp glass you should be fine. I've done it a couple of times since (dodgy led bulbs) with no probs. The holder is only an interference fit in the headlamp - no twisting or releasing of catches needed, just pull it straight back and B.Y.U.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
same here, no tab, so pull the wires! Tricky to get back in but it helps if you put the side lights on and peer through the headlamp so you can see when the bulb is lined up with the hole

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
same here, no tab but got away with pulling the wires. Its a good idea to put on the sidelights on so you can see when the bulb is lined up with the hole and ready to push home

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
and don't put your fingers on the bulbs, these side lights are halogens and greasy fingers will cause them to blow in a few weeks. If you do touch the glass, degrease them with meths or similar

HTH

G

·
So you guys are saying you can replace the running lights without needing to pull the bumper? I replaced the main HID headlight last year and it was a pain pulling the bumper and housing apart. My running light went out this week and need to swap it now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
So you guys are saying you can replace the running lights without needing to pull the bumper? I replaced the main HID headlight last year and it was a pain pulling the bumper and housing apart. My running light went out this week and need to swap it now.
I know it to be true of my car - and I think for all with factory fit halogen headlamps - I think if you have factory fitted HIDs then it is different. Someone who has them may confirm but I think is is bumper off for them.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I had the exact same thing with my GT just two weeks ago. It has normal bulbs but could not shift it from the socket. Eventually it was a bumper off job and complete headlamp removed from car. Even then it had to be 'chiseled' out of the socket has the heat from the bulb had melted the holder and it had fused itself to the surround. A complete nightmare of a job, the one on the other side took about five minutes and pulled out without any difficulty at all !!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice in this thread. My Offside sidelight almost fell out! Sadly that's not the one that has blown...
Meanwhile the nearside (blown) sidelight is completely stuck in, the tab broke trying to remove it and a hard pull on the wires isn't budging it at all. So it looks like bumper off job - LEDs replacements on their way to avoid doing this again in the near future..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts