Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have bought some new headlamp bulbs for my GT, but changing them seems to require the services of a contortionist! With the plastic cover removed, you can hardly even see the back of the bulbs - especially on the offside. Is it easier to completely remove the headlamp? To do even that, looks like i'd need to remove the front of the car! Also, the front foglamp bulb spec I found on the 'net, was H3 - but these are not the same as the bulbs that are fitted to my car. Went to Halfords the other day and they don't even list the foglamp bulb - anyone know the correct foglamp bulb part? Thanks! BTW - car is 2006 GT JTDm

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
And helps if you have Boa constrictor snake arms!:lol:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I did my GT (normal not Xeon bulbs) and they are .....tricky!!

I literally felt for the back of the lens, then started squeezing the metal clip in all sorts of directions until it did what I wanted. Same for refitting.

Took 15 minutes all in for both sides.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I recommend a small mirror to help you see what is what. It should be a criminal offence to design a car whose light bulbs cannot be chaged in two minutes.
+1

just use a small mirror did drivers side headlight and both side lights recently mirror makes it so much easier

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
+1

just use a small mirror did drivers side headlight and both side lights recently mirror makes it so much easier
used a mirror too. took a photo of what i made too ....its on here somewhere! I would go so far to say its virtually impossible to do without a mirror. Plain old luck might work ....eventually.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies - glad it's not just me having the problems!! CCOVICH - no, just the normal lights, that's why i've bought some Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs for them, but just need to fit them now!! I will try the mirror suggestion - cheers!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i changed my dipped bulb last week and still have the scars on my hand to prove it! Blatantly an italian midget who designed that headlight unit! mine takes H7's i found by removing the metal prong and taking the bulb out i could succeed in my task, but also requires a pint of blood!:)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Think I might just leave mine. The nearside headlight mists up a bit. I tried to remove the bulb to allow the hot air from the hair dryer to enter. I have gave up and still have the battle scars :lol:

Compared to my Spider they are actually very good anyway. Thing is the bulbs in the car could well be some better than standard bulbs anyway I suppose.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Ok, so for the normal headlights, it does seem tricky, but once you've done it enough (at least once every 2 months it seems :rolleyes:), you get the hang of it.

B

·
0 Posts
Mirror and torch. Once you work out how the retaining clip comes out and goes back in its a very quick job - believe it or not. Once you crack it, its easy (coming from years of experience replacing side lights on 156 & GT). Upgraded main and headlight on the GT in less than 10 mins - Oh no I'm boasting now, its a usless skill and not really that transferable, and it won't impress the laydeez - unless you find one with blown Alfa bulbs (mmm, feel a new chat up line coming on......:lol:).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These headlamps are a nightmare! Just had another go, using mirror & torch. Tried the easiest one first and ended up getting the bulb out - along with the metal ring, that the spring clip mounts to - i'm sure that's not meant to happen! I've managed to get that back on and have put the original bulb back in. I think i'm going to set aside a day to dismantle the front of the car and take the headlights completely out :mad:

B

·
0 Posts
Wait! :eek: Don't be hasty there pgtkc. Seriously - just take your time and don't do anything rash. Go out to your car and take your time - don't even take the bulbs with you and work out the way the clip comes off and goes back in - take out the bulb and put it back in a couple of times. Don't make the mistake I made at the begining of trying to hold the mirror, torch, clip and bulb all at once! :eek: If you concentrate on getting a good look at the assembly before you start it should be simple. I used a make-up mirror the size of a matchbox and a mini maglite torch. If you lose your patience then its no good. Honestly, this is a 10min job once you work it out. I have managed to replace several bulbs on a GT & 156 (still doing it on the 156 - which is twice as tricky btw) without any trauma. Put on a latex glove if you have some - it gives your hand a bit of protection against the sharp plastic edges and will protect the new bulbs from any grease on your fingers plus it will help to stop your hand catching in the small hole. You can do it!! Don't give up!! One last thing - when you are all done (and you WILL get to this point!) before you put the back covers on again, just make sure from the headlight side thst the bulbs are evenly seated and tight into the hole. I'm not sure if its the 156 or GT or both but some bulbs have a tab on the back which needs to go into a slot - just gently turn the bulb once its in to make sure its in the right spot. "Failure is not an option!" (Demi Moore in GI Jane BTW).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Braiiking - thanks very much for the moral support! I will give it another go before dismantling the car! I didn't take the new bulbs out to the car and I was using a mini maglite - however, the mirror I was using could have been better! Yes, it's the GT bulbs that have the tab, so they will only seat one way in the lamp. I'll post again after my next attempt, which will hopefully be more successful and also before my next night shift!:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally changed them!!! Thanks for all the advice & moral support! The secret was a better mirror and then just looking at the clip to get your head around the way it comes off - which is basically push and slide to one side or the other (which was where I was going wrong!). Cheers!:thumbs::)

·
Registered
33 Posts
After reading this and watching YouTube I decided with trepidation to try and change my near side parking bulb...... 10 mins and it was done! And that was with the infamous missing tag.
Led lit mirror on a stick, just gently pulled on the wires and it came free!
Off to buy a lottery ticket now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts