Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm bringing the wife back into the fold :yes:

12 months is up since we sold the 156 s/w and she opted for a Mini Cooper (05). She doesn't like it - I did try and persuade here but she had an itch to scratch......

It pretty much looks like we'll be able to swop like for like without too much money being exchanged (if any), win, win.

Looking at the 1.9 diesel or 2.0 petrol - not bothered which tbh.
I've got the 1.9 jtdm in my 159, it's totally stock but good enough for my driving. Now, she only does a couple of thousand miles a year so the diesel should be a no go BUT if we go down that route then I'll HAVE to use it a couple of times a week to keep it running :biglaugh: another win, win.

I've searched through the forum and most of the posts are from pre 2010. So I'm just after general experiences of ownership for 04, 05, 06 (70-110k) if you have any to share please.

Tony

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
2.0 petrol will be the JTS which is a crap engine IMO. Good ish when it's running right and a PITA to fix when it goes wrong.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got a '54 plate GT JTS (2.0 petrol) currently in the low 90,000s miles - I'm into my fifth year of ownership and I'm still very happy with the car. It has been extremely reliable mechanically: the only engine related issue was a coil pack causing random MCSF lights last year - that's now fixed (replacement coilpack from ECP £46). I've also had issues with a broken geartooth in the diff and tricky gear selection due to tophat bushes - again both rectified at nearly zero cost. The passenger seat required the operating cable fixing and the drivers window has been troublesome on a couple of occasions - other than that the car has performed flawlessly. Only requiring fuel, oil and tyres and scheduled regular maintenance to keep going smoothly. It has never let me down and never failed an MOT while I've had it. It's been almost the perfect vehicle for my needs; comfortable, reliable and practical, but just about sporty enough for me; and still looking a bit special and rare. Since I retired from work a couple of years ago it now only covers a few thousand miles per year and it seems to be dealing with that well enough (battery keeps its charge well and no "mayo" on the oil filler cap).

So my advice would be - get one - I'd buy another like a shot.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my advice would be - get one - I'd buy another like a shot.
Thanks for the time taken to respond, much appreciated.

I think the missus now really hates the feeling of going from a bit of exclusivity to part of the biggest flock there is, there's bloody minis everywhere.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
this is going to come down to mileage really..

if it has to be a GT (and I agree its a great car!) you have 3 (as the busso is not an option) choices all with advantages and disadvantages. 2.0 JTS,1.8 TS,1.9 JTD or JTDm .

2.0 JTS or ''jet thrust stoichiometric'' is a petrol direct injection engine, had one before my 1.9 derv. in the short time I owned it it required an exhaust camshaft a variator and cambelt (36k intervals) and used about a litre of oil every 1000 miles or so, for me its honestly the worst engine in the range and if I wanted a smaller displacement petrol I would opt for the much nicer sounding,more reliable and arguably the more enjoyable 1.8 TS. why they never put the 2.0 TS in the GT is beyond me....it would have been a great match for the car. I am not going to say the JTS is Sh*t as lots of people own and like them but its not Alfa's finest moment, maybe worth a punt on very low yearly mileage as it is more powerful than the 1.8 twinnie but I would not have another.

1.9 diesel, well its torquey, easily tuned to 200 bhp with a £250 re-map, if you do this be prepared to replace the clutch and possibly flywheel shortly afterwards. The EGR and swirl flaps can be troublesome, if I wanted an easier time of it with a derv I would go CF3 engine 04/05 plate (no swirl flaps) and blank the EGR along with the remap, they also go through upper and lower wishbones faster than the either the JTS or 1.8 TS due to the extra weight up front, clutches and flywheels are also bordering on consumable due to the torque. (I had to replace both clutch and flywheel at 80k) but to be fair it was after a re-map. also as with all turbo diesels boost hoses and VNT actuator vac hoses will need changing around the 75k mark, best to upgrade to silicone. they can suffer from sticky VNT if they have been driven on lots of little journeys and the EGR is still in place, my turbo was recently replaced at 102k and on removal it had play in the shaft, although it was deemed to be ''good for another 50k'' turbo life varies wildy and is dependent on regular oil changes and some good long runs to blow the crap through, just worth considering when you come to buy.

mine is now an a hybrid turbo ,goes like stink and is very economical, but I will never love the sound of it TBH, that said all is forgiven when I hit the loud pedal and despite its 220 bhp and lots of torque it returns an average of 50 MPG and even better on a long run...if your mileage is 10k a year or more it may be the best choice. normally on a diesel option I would say 20k a year is the tipping point. its just in the GT the petrol choices are not so great assuming the V6 is out.

I have actually driven all of these engine choices several times when looking for my first GT and then my current diesel, I only choose the JTS initially because I couldn't get my head around an Alfa with a diesel engine! and the 1.8 TS felt under powered to me having come from a Z3M coupe. the JTS just a bit less so as although its only 25 ponies more at 165 bhp it is torquier than the TS , I could not even consider the V6 just based on economy, that and boot space was why the Z3m went.

had I researched the JTS it's unlikely I would have bought one and may well have bought the 1.9 straight off the bat but I was seduced by the GT's lines and practicality for a coupe...in the two smaller petrol's I have no doubt that the twinnie is the better option..it won't be as quick as the Mini its replacing if it was the supercharged cooper s, and they are also a bit thinner on the ground only having been available as a blackline or cloverleaf in this country, those trim levels will cost you a bit more than a standard car...oh and that reminds me, the TS Blackline had a cloth interior, the other reason I initially bought the JTS...as I wanted a leather interior.

I think the main reason the diesel sold so well in the GT is the other engine choices are just a bit compromised. the 1.8 TS is a great engine but 140 BHP in a 1300 KG car is just not enough...the JTS is ''average'' at best leaving the 1.9...

good luck with your choice I hope you find a nice well maintained example..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought the 2.0 jts at the end of Jan mines an 04 with 100k on the clock. It drives well I would never buy a diesel it's does like a drink of oil bit hopefully am oil n filter change will help lol. I bought it cheap 950 quid with fsh but needing brakes all round and a pair of tyres. Also I've found it needs a new thermostat 65 quid and I've fitted them all myself. Cam belt will be next better safe than sorry. It's a drivers car and the gt looks stunning. But with 3 kids I probably shouldve bought a 159 lol

·
Registered
998 Posts
Personally i would never even consider a diesel in a car as stunning as the GT.

Despite all the negative comments on the JTS i still went out and bought one and its been great, sporty enough, reasonably economical and not for a minute have i felt like i've made the wrong choice.

As with any other Alfa however, make sure it has a full history to back it up

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If she only does a couple of thousand miles a year why rule out the V6. Fuel is reasonably cheap at the moment so it's a great time to run a Busso.... I've had mine for nearly three years and have done about 26,000 miles in that time and it's not cost a fortune to run. Oh, and it's a fantastic car!!!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
good luck with your choice I hope you find a nice well maintained example..
Wow, cheers Joey, what a great detailed response (I didn't want to re-quote everything you said), it's much appreciated!

Thanks to everybody else's responses too. I was just looking to do a quick swop tbh but such positive comments means I'm going to think about this a bit more.

Loved our previous s/w - love the current 159 (even though it is diesel) so going to look for the right one and love it just as much if not more :biglaugh:

Thanks again for all of your input.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally i would never even consider a diesel in a car as stunning as the GT.

Despite all the negative comments on the JTS i still went out and bought one and its been great, sporty enough, reasonably economical and not for a minute have i felt like i've made the wrong choice.

As with any other Alfa however, make sure it has a full history to back it up
Cheers T, I must be getting old - my 159 is diesel (my first ever derv) and it's more than adequate for me. I think both variants will suite us - 'cos I can always keep the mileage ticking over if we go the diesel route :smoker:

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Cheers T, I must be getting old - my 159 is diesel (my first ever derv) and it's more than adequate for me. I think both variants will suite us - 'cos I can always keep the mileage ticking over if we go the diesel route :smoker:
It is a bit chancy, but you could consider a V6 version. If the engine really is only going ~2000 miles a year, then you could probably get one and keep it for a time. It may hold its value much better than any TS will, being more closely related to the GTA and having that special engine.

Prices recently seem to be lower for the GT than any 3.2 GTA, but they look to be picking up slowly.

DNG is selling his car somewhere on this forum and he only wants ~£4000 for it with the belts done and such (for example).

·
Registered
600 Posts
It is a bit chancy, but you could consider a V6 version. If the engine really is only going ~2000 miles a year, then you could probably get one and keep it for a time. It may hold its value much better than any TS will, being more closely related to the GTA and having that special engine.

Prices recently seem to be lower for the GT than any 3.2 GTA, but they look to be picking up slowly.

DNG is selling his car somewhere on this forum and he only wants ~£4000 for it with the belts done and such (for example).
£5000 plus unfortunately, worth every penny ;)

I could do a deal on a mini mind, that would be much easier to sell!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've previously owned a Gt 1.9 diesel and now own a Gt 3.2V6. The diesel was an absolutely fantastic machine, its obvious why they are the biggest seller in the range. (not just because of the current trend towards diesel power) If you listen to the motor whilst on idle or from the outside they are awful (in a typical diesel sounding way) but on the move actually they sound pretty good. Fuel economy is excellent, I could get 800+ miles out of a tank during an epic drive with the entire family on board. The cabin feels quite spacious even in the rear seats, plus there's the big boot coupled with the split folding rear bench to make them very practical. Gt's look so stylish and are a relatively rare sight on the roads today, which is another bonus.

I only cover about 4,000 miles per annum so after my diesel Gt was written off I decided (after a couple of other Alfas first) "what the hell" I'm gonna have a V6. Now despite my low mileage the fuel consumption was a concern as I didn't like the thought of going on a family holiday and have to re-fuel before I got to my destination. This fear was expunged when we travelled from the midlands to the south coast and back, for a weekend on one tank of petrol. Day to day driving sees 23-27 mpg average which sounds bad but in the real world the V6 is quite an efficient engine, long runs see more like 30-34 mpg. If you currently own a 159 then you will already conditioned towards poor fuel economy as they are heavy beasts. I had a 2.2 Jts and to achieve 40 mpg was a struggle.

The best all round engine for a Gt would have been the light and tuneful 2.0 Twin Spark, but I'm guessing that it didn't meet emissions or Alfa was winding down production of the Twinny and had more 1.8's to shift.
If your wife does low mileage and doesn't tear up the tarmac (like my wife tries to) then I would defiantly consider a 1.8TS, but only after a lengthy test drive, as real world fuel economy wouldn't be that far away from the V6, however power would be a long way off. Like I said earlier the diesel is fantastic and never caused me any problems doing small annual mileage, but they can do.

Reactions: tony4hop

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I've previously owned a Gt 1.9 diesel and now own a Gt 3.2V6. The diesel was an absolutely fantastic machine, its obvious why they are the biggest seller in the range. (not just because of the current trend towards diesel power) If you listen to the motor whilst on idle or from the outside they are awful (in a typical diesel sounding way) but on the move actually they sound pretty good. Fuel economy is excellent, I could get 800+ miles out of a tank during an epic drive with the entire family on board. The cabin feels quite spacious even in the rear seats, plus there's the big boot coupled with the split folding rear bench to make them very practical. Gt's look so stylish and are a relatively rare sight on the roads today, which is another bonus.

I only cover about 4,000 miles per annum so after my diesel Gt was written off I decided (after a couple of other Alfas first) "what the hell" I'm gonna have a V6. Now despite my low mileage the fuel consumption was a concern as I didn't like the thought of going on a family holiday and have to re-fuel before I got to my destination. This fear was expunged when we travelled from the midlands to the south coast and back, for a weekend on one tank of petrol. Day to day driving sees 23-27 mpg average which sounds bad but in the real world the V6 is quite an efficient engine, long runs see more like 30-34 mpg. If you currently own a 159 then you will already conditioned towards poor fuel economy as they are heavy beasts. I had a 2.2 Jts and to achieve 40 mpg was a struggle.

The best all round engine for a Gt would have been the light and tuneful 2.0 Twin Spark, but I'm guessing that it didn't meet emissions or Alfa was winding down production of the Twinny and had more 1.8's to shift.
If your wife does low mileage and doesn't tear up the tarmac (like my wife tries to) then I would defiantly consider a 1.8TS, but only after a lengthy test drive, as real world fuel economy wouldn't be that far away from the V6, however power would be a long way off. Like I said earlier the diesel is fantastic and never caused me any problems doing small annual mileage, but they can do.
a good balanced view:thumbup:

I would only add that the JTS is almost certainly the cheapest option in terms of purchase price but if you have 5k+ you can afford to spend the V6 is THE one to have, DNG's is a great option if you are looking for a well fettled one...If I had not spent so much modding my diesel I would sell it and Buy DNG's 3.2 in a heartbeat. with my current yearly mileage the 3.2 makes a lot of sense...it was 30k a year when i bought the derv so it was the only option for me.

The diesel is the most flexible of them all though and whilst it does sound like a bag of spanners at idle it would leave all but the V6 standing in real world application,and my re-mapped 220 BHP example would keep up no doubt and by the time I add the FMIC and the final map tweak and stage two clutch it will be as quick,and it does sound OK once you are on the move.

the 1.8 is as previously mentioned a sweet little engine and if your good lady doesn't want to hare about its a good option, my only concern is that it will cost you 3k+ for a 1.8 TS as they were clovers or blacklines where as the JTS can be had for as little as 1k, a good one for 2k and you would be very unlucky to have to spend £1000 in the first year if you have bought wisely.

The cheapest 1.8 I can find on Autotrader is £3800 and that is a lot of money for an un-tunable car with only 140 BHP and 120 lb ft of torque..the cheapest JTS is around the £1300 mark for what looks a decent one so call it £1100 with haggling and despite its flaws it IS fun to drive.

whenever this topic comes up I am made aware all over again that Alfa accidentally designed its best looking car in two decades in the GT and then failed to furnish it with a decent engine range.

bar the V6 which is not practical for most owners the remaining engines have flaws.

1.8 TS underpowered for the weight of the car and not much torque at all, very peaky, and high oil consumption. short cam belt intervals at 36k

2.0 JTS direct injection woes, high oil consumption and lambda and coil pack failures galore and the propensity to eat their own camshafts for fun. same 36k cam belt as the TS.

1.9 diesel, swirl flaps,EGR,and also all of the normal diesel related stuff, DMF and sounding like a tractor..it's like a supermodel that sounds like Eliza doolittle.

so I advise you to choose the one you enjoy driving the most, and for me that was undoubtedly the diesel once re-mapped....(discounting the V6 of course) i probably have not made your choice any easier!

once again good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
a good balanced view:thumbup:
2.0 JTS direct injection woes, high oil consumption and lambda and coil pack failures galore and the propensity to eat their own camshafts for fun. same 36k cam belt as the TS.
:thumbup:
Don't forget that the jts ain't even an Alfa engine, it's a GM unit (GM Ecotec L61) GM supplied the Fiat group with the blocks for Alfa to work on. It was part of the failed tie up between Fiat and General Motors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't forget that the jts ain't even an Alfa engine, it's a GM unit (GM Ecotec L61) GM supplied the Fiat group with the blocks for Alfa to work on. It was part of the failed tie up between Fiat and General Motors.
Not on the GT, 156 or GTV. The GM units came only with the Brera/159.

·
Registered
640 Posts

Not having heard that before I did some research (well I looked at Wikipedia) and if that is to be believed then the 2.0 JTS is indeed a proper Alfa engine (maybe even the last Alfa engine) - it's the 1.9 and 2.2 four cyl JTS ; plus the 3.2 V6 JTS engines in the 159 and Brera that are the GM based units. The 2.0 JTS is a development of the 2.0 Twinspark (but with fewer spark plugs and direct injection) - and used only in the 156, the GTV (and Spider) and the GT. It is said that because it was such an expensive unit to produce it didn't get used on other vehicles. And the aforementioned GM blocks were used on the later 159 and Brera models, which although having the same nomenclature are in fact totally unrelated engines to the 2.0 JTS.

Way off topic I know but it's the disease-als that share an engine with the Vauxhall Astra not the 2.0 JTS.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yes, re-reading the ops 1st post, if only doing 2000 miles a year then i would go for the 3.2 V6

Only point is, if its for the missus then will that fine engine be a bit of a waste, i mean will she really appreciate what she's got under the right foot, the busso is one for the proper afficinado to appreciate ..

Obviously depends how much of an Alfa nut she is !

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
In reality with a mileage of 2k a year none of these cars should cause you any issues...

Except ironically the diesel...egr and flaps.

How about a 147 with a 2.0 TS.. ?

Perfect!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts