Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My cars suffering from the "can't centre when dropped into neutral" problem. ive searched everywhere and think the problem is the gear selector plate, I can either take it apart and clean, grease and replace or just get a new part.

I think I'll just get a new part from Alfa Romeo dealer tomorrow but wanted to possibly get a part number and a PROPER name for it.

I THINK it's this:
Alfa Romeo GT Gears
But it clearly doesn't say gt or 1.9... Although it IS under the Alfa Romeo GT section.

If someone could please shed some light onto this I'd be grateful.
Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Cars a 2005 Alfa Romeo GT JTD.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is the springs on the gearstick shaft - the shaft has srpings attached to a plastic housing and the plastic housing breaks. I believe that on the GT, you have to drop the exhaust and take it all out from underneath.

There are plenty of cars being broken on ebay and you should be able to get the parts cheap. You will need the gearstick shaft and all of the gubbins to which it is attached.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's the post that mainly helped but the part is the confusing thing. Although it is categorised under GT parts the part description is for 147? Same part for GT? I'll give it a crack but don't want the wrong part as in ordering online, if anyone knows please let's know

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Yeah that's the post that mainly helped but the part is the confusing thing. Although it is categorised under GT parts the part description is for 147? Same part for GT? I'll give it a crack but don't want the wrong part as in ordering online, if anyone knows please let's know
I have the parts in stock you need, it is an easy job, give me a call and I can explain how to do it and sell you the bits £5 delivered 01582 869560 option 3

You might want to do a photo how to guide for others on here :thumbs:

Ned

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
You have a GT 1.9 JTD with a gear shifter that won't centre? Is the gear selection slightly stiff when you move it side to side?. This is a massively common fault with the 6 speed box where the pivot drys out causing the selector not to centre. I think 1of1 has even done a how to thread. That part you have a picture of is the problem although the one you've pulled up is for a 1.8/2.0 ts but close enough to explain. On the picture on the right hand side you can see a flat bar coming out of a pivot with a little ball on the end. That is the pivot that is dried out :) All you need to do is strip and reagrease it. It will be hidden away under the battery tray on top of the box :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect, just ordered the part from autolusso and will hopefully put a how to guide up when I receive the parts. Fingers crossed it's as easy as it sounds

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Good stuff. Hope you get it sorted and help us all out in the future with a "How To" thread.

John at SimplyAlfas told me a very similar reason for a 156 gear stick not returning to the centre. Said they stiffen up over time, especially if they have not been used.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It is the same rason as the 156/147. It Just requires cleaning and greasing. there is nothing wrong with the original part :rolleyes: Still at least you gave AL the business :thumbs:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have started my own thread but havent had a reply. Will the same method work on the GM F40 gearbox as fitted to the 20v 156? I have a stiff lever (ooh er etc) and it wont self centre.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I have started my own thread but havent had a reply. Will the same method work on the GM F40 gearbox as fitted to the 20v 156? I have a stiff lever (ooh er etc) and it wont self centre.
Just checked. The F40 box isn't the same. 159's with the f40 box suffer with cable issues apparently but not on the 156 :think:

I just purchased the bushes not the whole thing. £5
The bushes aren't really the problem. The pivot that goes through them gets covered in rust and so causes the stiff action. You will need to clean it up with emery and regrease. The new hat bearings will be handy though as they are super easy to damage when re installing so at least you have two spare. I had to replace one due to my clumsy club fists :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone want to help me? Lol I've removed every gotten to the actual gear selector plate..... Now Im slightly confused and don't want to break anything!

http://i.imgur.com/nLvta.jpg

I know I'm supposed to remove two "ball end" cable but I'm not sure which parts. I'm ki da scared I'll break it. Help me out lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. Taken the ball end cables off, cleaned, greased, popped back on and it's sorted... Returns to centre in neutral too... But WTF I need these new bushes for? Where's the old ones?

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Update. Taken the ball end cables off, cleaned, greased, popped back on and it's sorted... Returns to centre in neutral too... But WTF I need these new bushes for? Where's the old ones?
You didn't listen to your instruction, give me a call

Ned

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorted. Will post a how to with pics tonight. Much thanks to everyone for the help and specially to ned at auto lusso

1 - 20 of 22 Posts