Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 3 months of GT ownership I've just encountered my first electrical gremlin it appears. I'd be grateful if anyone could help and point me in the right direction.

On Sunday I went to use the car after it being stood for about ten days. It started first time and I drove for about 2 miles where I put a stop in at a cash machine and returned to my car. Putting the key into the ignition everything lit up on the dash as normal and on turning the key all the lights, bar the red airbag light, died and the car refused to start/ turn over. Opening the bonnet, I found that the negative clamp was a bit loose on the battery, so I re-positioned it and tightened it and hey presto the car starts no problem. I thought no more of it, obviously it was caused by a poor negative connection and cured (I thought).

The car hasn't been used since Sunday but again starts this afternoon first time and then drives about 6 miles where I put a stop in. Returning to the car 10 minutes later, Sunday's performance is repeated again. This time however the negative battery terminal is as tight as hell on the post. So again I try to start the car and nothing.

I repeatedly, over about 15 minutes, try taking the negative off and refitting it but nothing and then I receive a phone call just as I was about to ring the AA. Ten minutes later, just for good luck, I give it one more try and it starts first time.

Obviously I have a problem somewhere in the electrical department but can anyone point me in towards where I should be looking.

My car is 2008 Cloverleaf, 80k 1.9JTDm.

I've tried looking for similar reported faults but have struggled to find anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm the owner of alfa romeo gt 1.9 jtd 2006. I got into my vehicle this morning and noticed that my clock and date was wrong. I thought this was strange because I had set it correctly before. Any I the car started as normal and as I was driving up the motorway the dashboard started to flicker on an off until everything on the dashboard just stopped working. EVERYTHING!!! Yet the car was still running and I managed to safely get it home. When I turned the car off it wouldn't start again. I knew it was some sort of electrical and thought the ignition switch had gone. As I had this happen before so I changed it and the problem remained. I then looked in the manual at fuses and found that their are fuses connected directly to the positive side of the battery.. When I checked the fuses I noticed that one of the fuses had blown. This was replaced and the car was back to normal.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Think you know the answer. Battery has a bad cell . Get it checked before you do anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts