Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since getting the Eibach ARBs I've had problems with noise and knocking at the back right. I believe I've finally found the reason - when the wheel rises the excess thread sticking out of the drop link which connects to the bar hits the spare wheel well. There's now a groove in the metal there. I suspect the width of the rear Eibach ARB is a bit less than the standard, at least where the drop link attaches to it, and perhaps the spare thread on the Meyle drop link is a bit longer than standard too. It could also be that my GT is bent - I hope not. I'm pretty certain the bar is mounted correctly but it does seem strange to me that I can't find anyone else reporting similar problems for such a common mod.

Anyway, it needs to be sorted. I'm of a mind to simply hack off the excess thread on the drop link. That does mean I'll probably have to saw off the drop link if I ever want to remove it again but it does seem like the simplest solution. Drop links aren't very expensive.

So, I throw it open to the wisdom of the board. What would you do? :confused:

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the drop link fitted the correct way round?
That's a good question. When I fitted the Meyle drop links I put them on the same way the previous ones were fitted - for the bottom connection the thread and nut point inwards and the top points outwards. It worked fine with the standard ARB.

Is that the wrong way round?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the bar fitted centrally (ie not mounted further to one sde than the other) or is the case that it can't be fitted any other way?
The guiding ridges which straddle the left mount point make it difficult to fit in the wrong position. In any case it looks pretty central.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
There's a kink in the bar to allow it to go round the fuel filler pipe. It's impossible to fit upside down. :)
Upside down as in that 'kink' being on the opposite side of the car, IIRC a garage managed to fit a members ARB like that a couple of months back.

Jut been out and had a look at mine, peering through the wheel and over the top of the brake disk I can see the top droplink mount and the nut is facing me, looks like your droplinks are fitted OK.

All the best

Pub

Reactions: Paddy OPlastic

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Upside down as in that 'kink' being on the opposite side of the car, IIRC a garage managed to fit a members ARB like that a couple of months back.

Jut been out and had a look at mine, peering through the wheel and over the top of the brake disk I can see the top droplink mount and the nut is facing me, looks like your droplinks are fitted OK.

All the best

Pub
Thanks for that. :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
I've come across this before, I think the Meyle droplinks are chunkier than the originals so clearance will be reduced. Also on the last Eibach rear anti roll bar I fitted, the collars were spaced much wider than the thickness of the bush so until it was clamped up tight, it could be shifted transverse across the back of the car. If not done correctly the roll bar could be further to one side than the other.

Paddy - its unlikely you'll ever have to undo your rear droplink, other than to replace it when its failed. The only other reason to undo them is to change the rear shock/spring. So sawing off the excess thread is probably not going to matter to you, if thats what you need to do to make it fit.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've come across this before, I think the Meyle droplinks are chunkier than the originals so clearance will be reduced. Also on the last Eibach rear anti roll bar I fitted, the collars were spaced much wider than the thickness of the bush so until it was clamped up tight, it could be shifted transverse across the back of the car. If not done correctly the roll bar could be further to one side than the other.

Paddy - its unlikely you'll ever have to undo your rear droplink, other than to replace it when its failed. The only other reason to undo them is to change the rear shock/spring. So sawing off the excess thread is probably not going to matter to you, if thats what you need to do to make it fit.
Thanks Dan. I was literally almost out of the door hacksaw in hand when I saw your post. I feel a lot happier about it now. :smoker:

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
How much clearance do you have on the side that isn't scrubbing out of interest?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much clearance do you have on the side that isn't scrubbing out of interest?
It's hard to see but there aren't any scratch marks on that side.

Anyway, operation complete. I've been for a quick spin and I think it's fixed. :party:

Thanks to all. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Interesting thread. And like you I probably would have taken the angle grinder to the excess.
Thing is tolerances can be so slight in all of the parts that it does take up certain issues when they are all added together.

Glad and hope you've got this sorted now.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Thanks Scotty. And now there's a thread to find if someone else has the same problem! :yes:
Where?

Should've mentioned in my earlier post that I have Eibach/Meyle ARB/Droplinks and have not experienced any clearance issues.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right here! :jester:

Should've mentioned in my earlier post that I have Eibach/Meyle ARB/Droplinks and have not experienced any clearance issues.

All the best

Pub
Maybe my ARB came with the arms a bit bent or perhaps the rear subframe isn't mounted quite centrally. I have a quite early GT and that may make a difference. Perhaps you've got harder springs on the back so they've never compressed enough to rub. Dunno.

Just happy to have it sorted. :)

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I should add as a coda that the Eibach ARBs transform the handling, especially if you have Koni FSDs. The FSDs by themselves make the car roll a bit more than standard but put them together and they give you a pliant ride on the straights but nicely firm and level on the turns. If you're looking for your first GT mod then forget the remaps and trick exhausts, this is what you want. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts