Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GT Door Interior Grab Handle - Plastidip

GT Grab Handle Plastidip

Apologies for the Dropbox link, I've maxed out my AO limit for images.

Took the door card off and removed the handle, it's only lightly glued at the bottom and held with a large circlip at the top, easy enough to remove and replace. The handle is solidly held with bolts top and bottom so no damage done.

Light rub down and good clean, 4 coats of Plastidip, allowed to dry overnight and put back on this morning, really pleased with the result.

Seems to me the damage is caused by opening and closing the door with keys in hand, must stop doing that.... or use the door pocket as a handle.

All the best

Update - new images added June 2014

Pub

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
may i say.......that looks awesome matey.........good job well done !!
Why thank you. My eyes were getting drawn to the grab handle everytime I sat in the car....and I hated it, ruined the look of the cabin.

Of course it remains to be seen how well the Plastidip wears, but as it's meant for tool handles and suchlike it should wear well.

All the best

Pub

G

·
0 Posts
Nice job there pub:thumbs: I think all the plastics need doing in mine :cry:
What colour is it standard black or dark grey.
How did you clean it ?
Did read a thread on hear and seemed to think that w/up liquid and water worked the best:confused:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Does tidy it up nicely, they do look awful those handles when they get scratched and it a good match to the door card as well.
Top job :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
Any one tried these thought about these due to the wear thought it might save having to re spray them item 350660119085 eBay.
Do like to keep things original but the handles do take a bit of stick .:confused:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Both excellent, should have done this to my GTA when I had t, the grab handles were scabby from rings on fingers i expect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is there an idiots guide to removing the gt passengers door card? I removed the 5 screws at the bottom including the light, removed or loosened the door handle one where I had to unhinge the plastic cover and also the screw inside the handle and still nothing grr - am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
You sir are a star, shall be doing mine at some point.

Just waiting on the dip to arrive....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Is there an idiots guide to removing the gt passengers door card? I removed the 5 screws at the bottom including the light, removed or loosened the door handle one where I had to unhinge the plastic cover and also the screw inside the handle and still nothing grr - am I missing something?
There are two Allan key screws to remove. One in the handle and one below. There's a screw under the window switch. I'd start easing the card off from the hinge side. 3 poppers. 3/4 from the outer edge. Need to lift the card up.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How are the handles holding up ?
Well it's been less than a fortnight so they're as good as day one.

Having said that I'm being a bit anal getting in and out of the car, for example I don't use it all all getting out and getting in I now tend to use the door pocket....giving the door a gentle pull to get it going build up speed and let it go before the door closes.

Ridiculous I know that one feels wary of using the handle that was designed to do the job, but I can't help myself.

Is there an idiots guide to removing the gt passengers door card?
Guide to change the exterior door handle first few steps covers removing the card.

I should add to the above that you can just about get the card off without removing the popper on the top rear edge of the door, get someone to carefully lift the rubber while you rock the card off the door.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well it's been less than a fortnight so they're as good as day one.

Having said that I'm being a bit anal getting in and out of the car, for example I don't use it all all getting out and getting in I now tend to use the door pocket....giving the door a gentle pull to get it going build up speed and let it go before the door closes.

Ridiculous I know that one feels wary of using the handle that was designed to do the job, but I can't help myself.

Guide to change the exterior door handle first few steps covers removing the card.

I should add to the above that you can just about get the card off without removing the popper on the top rear edge of the door, get someone to carefully lift the rubber while you rock the card off the door.

Good luck

Pub
Good to hear it's holding up. I almost did mine today, but have put it off for another weekend.

That step by step you linked to is quite good as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts