Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there

I currently have a GT Diesel (150bhp). Annoyingly my girlfriend has just got herself a mint condition Golf R32 (03). I say annoyingly because driving down the slip road to the motorway the other day she absolutely smoked me. This was embarrasing for 2 reasons:

1) Its a Golf so not an Alfa
2) Its my girlfriend.

Heres my questions for my fellow forumites:

1) If I remapped my GT via AHM etc to say nearer 200bhp and 300 torques would this stop this sort of thing happening again?

2) I don't have a Q2 although I think the rest of my car is in pretty good nick (touch wood!), would the remap result in my clutch and everything else going bang meaning a stay on the hard shoulder until the AA arrive? Obv this would be even worse than being burnt off and confirm all those Alfa stereotypes you hear about. Could a Q2 'and' a remap solve this?

NB: I'm almost certain I can't afford a GTA either in running costs or petrol

We all know on this forum why we'd have an Alfa over a Golf - for me its the looks, the style, the interior which makes me feel like I'm in a mini Maserati and the fact that I can say I drive an ALFA. But I could do without being burnt off!!

Many thanks

A GT owner

·
Vendor
46,270 Posts
Golf will probably still be faster, but it will considerably narrow the gap.

She'll soon get sick of fuelling the Golf ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
the thing is 240+bhp....so even remapped you'll still be good 50bhp- ish behind..if not more
The thing goes 0-62 for 6.6seconds....you'll have to get A LOT of work done to get even close to these figures...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Tough one brother!! being smoked by your woman is really not good for the old male ego!!
Like pud237 said, remapping your Gt would help but the R32 would still be faster in the performance stakes. And clutch slippage etc will happen. And things will wear out faster.
Hey your Gt is a way more beautiful car and general all rounder. Not knocking the R32 as its an awesome bit of kit. Its a choice! fuel economy great looking car.... faster petrol with huge fuel bills?:)

Damien.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You've summed it up well. The R32's a great car but you know that special feeling you get when you sit in an Alfa? I don't get it. At all.

My gfs' commute is half mine; so she can afford the running costs; the ideal would be a metallic blue GTA but I don't think I can justify it. Although I'm tempted......

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can't have it all. You've gone down the diesel route which gives good economy, but your woman has put performance ahead of economy. The mods you propose will close the gap but you'll not overcome the advantages of 4 wheel drive, a broader rev range and higher power in a Sprint. You need a 3.2 to really get close...

G

·
0 Posts
The only way you'll beat her is if you trade your GT in for a 147 GTA ;)

The diesel GT is a great tourer with good running costs but is not really a sports car. The 3.2 on the otherhand!

Seriously a remap does make a huge difference. I reckon the 0-60 time must be in the region of 7 seconds or so compared to the near 10 seconds it was before and the extra torque will give you a slight edge when in higher gears....bu you still won't beat her in a straight line race I'm afraid. Take into consideraition just how ugly the mk IV Golf is though and at least you have a MUCH better looking car :lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
147 GTA FTW :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,270 Posts
Any GTA will beat the R32 to 100mph, even though the R32 has the advantage off the line the Alfa is significantly faster on the move.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just had my first go in the R32. Obviously this is an Alfa website but bare with me theres some Alfa in this post somewhere.....

Its fast, obviously; but its the way it delivers the power that is so extraordinary. I've been tooling around in diesels for the last 5 years so had gotten used to having to deal with a bit of turbo lag. Here your on it in the middle of the power band immediately +1 to the Golf

It drinks petrol....a mixture of A roads and Mway at admittedly 'some' speed gave up 19mpg. Jesus. +1 to the GT

The interior....looks like it will still be here in a millenia, but its all very solid black and germanic. And the recaros were like slabs of concrete. My Alfas interior is probably not as well built but it looks like so much better and the red leather sports seats are the best I've ever sat in +1 GT

The gearchange in the R32 is awful; not sure if its this car or what but I had trouble finding a gear. I used to have a Golf GTi and the gearchange was awful in that too. +1 GT

The damping is way superior to my GT. In the GT pretty much every pothole whether its big or not punches through the suspension and crashes into the cabin. I gather Alfa dampers are cr*p and I'm at Autolusso soon where they'll probably be replaced. I know people rave on about Koni FSDs etc, but I can't afford them. +1 Golf

So thats 3-2 to my GT. I think I'm going for a remap so I don't get so embarrased the next time I'm with the R32.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a GT and got absolutely battered by a brand new candy white VW R32 the other week. i was doing a fair whack but the R32 just seemed to find another gear and dissappeared into the distance....at which point i took my toe off the pedal and 'sat back down' wouldn't swap though....never!:cool:

·
Registered
387 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts