Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had any noises from their GT dashboards that aren't right? The rustling/creaking noise that I'd thought was suspension on my GT is actually somewhere behind the dash. Not fancying being without the GT for the weekend I've not yet had it looked into (it was in the dealer's today and they said the dash would need to come off), but does anyone else have any experience of this at all?

Have a good weekend everybody.

Jon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Only noise I've had from my dash is an intermittent rattle from the instrument panel, which a judicious prod on the front of the panel cures for a bit. I guess the clear perspex is a slightly loose fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of my mates has a 147 that had a rattle from around the instruments but the dealer fixed it fine first time. That's extremely irritating as it's the same dealer that now has my GT in for the 5th time to try and fix the windows.

Mine has a squeak from the passenger end of the dash but I'm fairly sure it's the door trim rubbing against the end of the dash. That's what stereos are for.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've also got the same dash noises. Seems to be coming from the passenger side, or near the passenger footwell. For me, it seems to be from the climate control... if you try switching between either the footwell heaters, or the face heaters, it seems to make the noise. I've always put up with it since i got the car last april... not sure if i should take it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did wonder if this noise was a/c related - when the system was turned off the other day, there was no noise. Then it came back again, now it's gone again. I guess it's just a characterful Alfa thing! I was really just happy to have my mind put at rest when told it wasn't the suspension.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I should correct myself there... the noise seems to come when switching between air reciriculation and normal, not between different heating areas.

It's also worst as soon as the car is started.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perhaps - I say perhaps, its the same creaking noise that I had in my 156. After almost two years of searching / listening, I came to the solution of the problem !!

The dashboard is secured to the car body by means of several, of say 5-6 hex bolts, right under the windshield, and deep in the dashboard.

These bolts are only half threaded, the rest (closer to the top) are just thicker in diameter. Apparently, their length is a tad longer than it should be and when the dashboard rubs against the car body it produces the creaking sound.

I just added some rubber and/or metal washers to take up the gap, and the creaking noise stopped!!! (you may need a special hex wrench with a hole in the middle)

(A simple test, is that the noise stops when the dashboard warms up, as it expands and the expansion takes up the gap !!).

It worked for me in my 156, hope it works for you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts