Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turn it off at the switch on the stalk?

Yes - of course you're right! The problem with that is it loses the preset speed in memory - so 'Resume' doesn't resume the previous set speed.
On other systems you can disengage cruise to coast for a bit (if, say approaching traffic, to maintain a safe distance) then 'resume' once past.

It's not good practice to dab the brakes as the brake lights can cause traffic behind to panic brake. Dipping the clutch doesn't seem the right way to do it. I'm surprise you can't disengage cruise with the flick of a switch, to then be able to resume it.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
There is no other way to disengage it then I'm afraid.

I once had a Merc E250 loan car with the auto box. Cruise control on that was seriously dangerous as the resume control worked on a stalk just like the winkers, and it was on the same side as the winkers and you pushed it up to resume your previous speed just like you would do if you were indicating to turn right.

You can guess where this is going !!!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
What's wrong with dipping the clutch :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's wrong with dipping the clutch :confused:
It just seems to be an inelegant solution. When cruising i dont rest my foot on the clutch. Theres fractional wear on the clutch and the need to match the engine revs before re-engaging the clutch. If the 'resume' switch also disengaged cruise i would prefer it. No biggie! At least it works!

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
You only need to touch the clutch pedal slightly (around an inch) to disengage. That won't have any effect on the action of the clutch plate. If you need to dip it until it effects the clutch plate then your clutch pedal switch needs adjusting.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
You only need to touch the clutch pedal slightly (around an inch) to disengage. That won't have any effect on the action of the clutch plate. If you need to dip it until it effects the clutch plate then your clutch pedal switch needs adjusting.
What bobda said. The pedal just needs to be touched not fully pressed :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts