Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys please bear with me, After 2 yrs of misery I will be in a position to purchase a nice used 2007/08 GT. My budget will be approx £15,000 but I am confused as to which model to buy I have read about Suspension upgrades (FSD's + Eibachs Pro sport), Remaps and so forth for the Diesel models.

1, Does the Suspension have to be upgraded on the Blackline and Q2 models

2, If I purchase A high milage ie 30,000 + diesel when should the Cam belts be replaced ect. I hope to spend around £13000 on the car and have £2000 for various bits and pieces, not including servicable items.

3, Would I be better off spending £10,000 on the V6 and using the rest( £5,000) for Q2 and other upgrades and so on. The car will be my toy so around 8-12,000 miles a year. I live in Northumberland and the nearest main town is 20 miles away plenty of twisty roads;) and some rough roads:mad: in places

Sorry for the long winded post and Im sure that these questions have been asked hundreds of times before but any advice would be greatly appreciated

G

·
I'd go V6 if i had a well paid job to run it, However i dont so if i was buying nearly new id get the diesel and a good remap

·
Registered
121 Posts
if its your weekend car I'd go for the V6 but it is thirsty although it sounds great.
If its your toy you can't really have that tractor noise.

I have diesel GT, as I do 18 -20 000 miles a year

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay boys so the Diesel it will be because we're tight up here y know:lol: So that means either a Q2 or the Blackline does the suspension have to be changed on both:confused:

G

·
If its a toy then it can be non other than the V6. The diesel is a cracking motor for everyday use but when you start it up it doesn't sound special enough to be a play thing. It does go some but once again it doesn't quite feel 'special' enough. The Arese V6 engine is an absolute peach that will make you feel a million dollars as soon as you turn the key

G

·
Okay boys so the Diesel it will be because we're tight up here y know:lol: So that means either a Q2 or the Blackline does the suspension have to be changed on both:confused:
If you want to lower it then yes you can change the shocks, I personally wouldnt bother, but im a tight **** too :)

·
Vendor
46,595 Posts
The standard suspension isn't amazing on any of the models - fine for smooth roads but a bit dodgy on rough & bumpy backroads. I would say if its a toy, get the V6. You wouldn't need to spend more than £10k on the car, but then put the other £5k into sorting out all the little bits and pieces that are necessary to turn it into a proper 'toy' - suspension, exhaust, remap, brakes etc.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Agree with pud. Spend about 10k then upgrade suspension, intake exhaust and remap. Prob get those done for a few k

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
:cheese:

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
V6

I don't like the 1.9 diesel much myself

It is a pity they didn't fit the 2.4 to the GT really..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot to mention the fact that I no longer have a well paid job due to the accident and am working pt localy so buying the car isn,t a problem for short term but in the long term how does the mighty V6 fare against the 1.9 :confused: in running costs ie servicing brakes ect

G

·
Forgot to mention the fact that I no longer have a well paid job due to the accident and am working pt localy so buying the car isn,t a problem for short term but in the long term how does the mighty V6 fare against the 1.9 :confused: in running costs ie servicing brakes ect
If you drive it carefully you should be able to see 30mpg :)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
All I can say is the 1.9 is quite a bit cheaper to run.

If it wasn't no one would buy it, and everyone would get a V6.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts