Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened the bonnet on my GT Coupe today with no problems (usually feels like it's struggling to release) but when I tried to open it again 5 minutes later there was no resistance on the lever and the bonnet won't open.
Anybody know how I can get the bonnet open to have a look?????
I've done a search but can't find anything about getting the f'kin thing open :confused:
Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
860 Posts
Have you looked underneath the foot well where the handle is .The plastic holder could have split mine did I ordered one from local dealer it wasn't dear cant remember how much .It was an easy fix I would check that first .I just waited till I had new part to open the bonnet I understand it can be very tricky if the cable has snapped .You could try to remove under tray jack car up and attach string to the bonnet release not sure if that's possible

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No such luck Stu, mine had snapped at the bonnet end.
I had to cut the central grille out with a hacksaw blade, undo the 3 nuts holding catch assembly to the slam panel and then repair the cable with a solderless nipple.
[email protected] job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you remove the top chrome bar on the grille (prise it off with screwdriver) you can then use a hacksaw blade to cut just below where it fits. Then cut down the side in 4 places and the centre grill comes away. Break your fingers and wrist so that you can get a 10mm ring spanner in to undo the catch assembly and hey presto it's open.
I cut back the outer cable by about 40mm and fitted a solderless nipple on the frayed end of the inner cable. Works a treat now.
Use clear bathroom sealer to fix centre grill back in place and refit chrome bar to hide the cut.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I snapped the cable on mine just after I had completed the cambelt/water pump job. The end of the cable is prone to corrosion so needs some talc. I gained access to the catch by removing one of the black trim panels next to the grill. They come out undamaged if you gently lever their catches to one side. I then operated the catch with a long screwdriver. I then replaced the cable inner with a galvanised cable so it won't rust. Now it works like a dream. I took the opportunity to remove the catch and clean it up then grease it. 3 nuts hold it on, the lower nut can be removed with ease with a socket on an extension as there is a hole in the grille to allow it. I realised this after struggling with a ratchet spanner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I snapped the cable on mine just after I had completed the cambelt/water pump job. The end of the cable is prone to corrosion so needs some talc. I gained access to the catch by removing one of the black trim panels next to the grill. They come out undamaged if you gently lever their catches to one side. I then operated the catch with a long screwdriver. I then replaced the cable inner with a galvanised cable so it won't rust. Now it works like a dream. I took the opportunity to remove the catch and clean it up then grease it. 3 nuts hold it on, the lower nut can be removed with ease with a socket on an extension as there is a hole in the grille to allow it. I realised this after struggling with a ratchet spanner.

Just wondering which side you went in from and how long a screwdriver? I unfortunately have akready broken my grille and just found the forum to my delight before i cause any more damage?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts