Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Uber proud GT owner, she is gorgeuos, but this is my second problem in only a week of ownership :cry:, anyway the problem is that the fan isn't running, primarily when the ac is switched on but I arn't sure if it's coming on with the engine temp as it never rises above 90 to test it out, I left it idling for 40 mins last night, the stat opened at 80 to fill the rad but the temp gauge never rose above 88ish so never kicked the fan in.

I have searched the net but there isn't really anything specific geared towards a GT for this problem.

Were are the places I should be checking/looking at before I shell out more cash :(

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Which engine?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It is very cold atm and the JTD doesn't produce as much heat as a petrol engine. Rev the car to produce some extra heat. Are you sure the aircon pump is engaging? When you turn the aircon on the clutch whihc frewheels will engage. It won't do this if you have no aircon gas left mind. Pop the bonnet and down the front left you'll see the aux belt running round. The cylindrical unit you can see is the ac pump. Look at the pully end and you'll see a triangle like plate which won't be spinning as it part of the clutch. Turn ac on and see if it is.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep the compressor is engaging, as it clunks and the revs rise a bit to compensate, the ambient temp maybe an issue as the condenser won't be needed. I left it to idle for 40 mins to try and get the cooling fan on but she wouldn't rise above 88ish, will keep an eye on it and when it gets a bit warmer will investigate further!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ok so it is working. teh diesels really don't produce a lot of heat, especially a idle. Left mine when I had a MAF fault and I don't think it ever actually got to 90 temperature in the entire time it was sat there. The rad is efficent :). Try running it with some revs while stationary. that should get some heat into it :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts