Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Got into my gt jtd tonights and it went totally dead.
I unlocked it with the fob ok, jumped in put the key in the ignition let the glow plug light go off turned the key and everything went off, no dash light, central locking anything.
Its like the battery is totally dead. Is there a main fuse or something that can just cut all the electrics. I havent checked the battery or anything as yet as its dark but I cannot see it just loosing every bit of power in an instant.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Sounds exactly like a dead battery. Have you not driven it for a couple of days? Wouldn't be a surprise in this weather.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi guys

Got into my gt jtd tonights and it went totally dead.
I unlocked it with the fob ok, jumped in put the key in the ignition let the glow plug light go off turned the key and everything went off, no dash light, central locking anything.
Its like the battery is totally dead. Is there a main fuse or something that can just cut all the electrics. I havent checked the battery or anything as yet as its dark but I cannot see it just loosing every bit of power in an instant.

Anyone got any ideas?
Have you got a volt meter to check the voltage from the battery with the engine off, I suspect you may be right in you assumption that the battery may be shagged. May also be worth giving it a charge preferably with a smart charger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds exactly like a dead battery. Have you not driven it for a couple of days? Wouldn't be a surprise in this weather.
Hi
I drove it home this morning from work, only a 6 mile run, but it just seems strange that nothing works.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Normally with a low battery, the dash lights will flash on and off very quickly (almost shocking the first time you try!). Sounds like a duff battery or dodgy connection :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I checked the battery and its connection this morning and found the negative connection loose. Some sort of quick release/cam lock connection. Whats wrong with the good old nut and bolt especially when thats what is on the positive end.
Anyway thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
862 Posts
This happened to me whilst driving along the A77 in the dark - not a pleasant experience doing 70-ish :eek: with no lights/engine etc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This happened to me whilst driving along the A77 in the dark - not a pleasant experience doing 70-ish :eek: with no lights/engine etc
That is scary! I am glad I was stationary.
I am going to have a closer look at it when the weather gets better to see if I can make it more secure.
Have all Alfa's got this type of terminal?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Glad you got it sorted :thumbs:

One thing I've found with mine is if you go away on holiday and leave it for a week or more make sure you only lock it by the key and don't use the remote. The alarm seems to rip the living daylights out of the battery.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Your battery has died, and yes it can do exactly that. Had it with my GTA, one minute it was fine, the next time I tried to start the car, nothing whatsoever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts