Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

The wife took the car to the hair dressers this morning and broke the car on the way back, luckily only down the road from the house.

After quick diagnostics it seemed the clutch cable had snapped. But upon a little research on the forum i understand its a hydrological system. I had great hopes when i found the info about split pins coming off. but on inspection the pedal is still connected to the master cylinder and there is fluid leaking around the seal on this cylinder. not peeing out, but a drip.

Dose this mean the master cylinder need replacing. ( It seems easy enough to replace. )

Can anyone point me in the best direction to get a replacement by Monday so i have it fixed for work on Tuesday. I'm in Ormskirk need Liverpool / Wigan.

Thanks

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
Are you sure it is the master cylinder and not the slave?

The slave sits on top of the gearbox.

If it is that try shop4parts. It is a common fault but an easy fix.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its the master.

The one in the cabin directly connected to the pedal via a push rod. there is fluid around this. I think the seals are ruptured.

There is no signs of fluid in the engine bay ( i had a feel around, although i haven taken the battery box out to fully check. )

·
Registered
61 Posts
Must be the season for it - my master cylinder went on Wednesday whilst travelling back to Norfolk from the Wigan area (spooky eh ?). The Alfa Shop in Norwich fixed me up and all is well again !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks All who helped. It was the Master Cylinder. after a few hour swearing I changed it over. Its 10 times easier to refit than remove! After a quick clutch bleed the system is up and running again.

I got the part from Fiat Parts, Fiat Spares, Alfa Parts and Alfa Romeo Spares Welcome in the end as no where local had one available. I ordered on Tuesday. it arrived at 11 today. fitted it with my brother in law as helper and peddle pumper.

So im back on the road

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey JohnnyBlond.

did you sort out that master cylinder problem . i think i have the same problem myself. clutch opedal not working properly. it wont let me change gear unless i pump the pedal a few times.

if you did change the master cylinder , how difficult was it and did you have to take of that black housing that seems to be in the way. any other advise

Chris !

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
More likely to be the slave. Checkk that first as it's easier to change, costs less and is usually the main issue when you have a pedal pumping issue as you describe

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, yep the slave had gone also. But not fully. Lots of people have reported both the master and slave going at the same time. Yours sounds like just the slave. But I wouldn't be surprised if the master fails soon too. If your mechanically minded it's easy enough to replace both your self. Master is a bit of a pig just cause of position but I did it road side in 40 min.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh!
Replaced the master cylinder - pain of a job . Especially gettig the cylinder disconnected . Anyhow ! It's on now but nothing is happening at all . Just pumping the clutch pedal and nothing -- do I have to bleed it & how do I do this - any advice ! I'll post a how to shortly from start to finish as I can't find one any where !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yer you'll need to bleed it.

You need to take out the battery then remove the tray under it. This gets you access to the slave, then loosen the bleed nipple with a spanner.

Get a mate to help with the bleeding. One pumping, one loosening and tightening the nipple. Remember to keep topping up the brake fluid as you go so it doesn't pull more air in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts