Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a runn up and down the motorway this wekend (Bristol - Ely via Autolusso) at *cough* usual motorway speeds, I started noticing the clutch feeling as though it was getting lower and lower. After I got off the motorway it was through the floor and not working at all.
I managed to limp home after a bit of luck getting it into 3rd about 1 mile from home.

Now, I've got an RAC warranty that says the the clutch isn't covered "Where the failure is due tto the clutch having reached the end of its normal working life due to age or mileage, or the clutch is burnt out."

It's an '04 JTS with 53K on the clock. In my mind the clutch should not have failed so early, and I'm certain that I haven't been riding it etc in order to burn it out.
Before I call the warrant company and try to argue my case, what should I be saying to them in order to get them to pay up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
More likely to be the slave cylinder. Remember that clutch life is wholy dependent on type of use. A car which spends a lot of time in traffic will have far more engagenments and disengagements than a car which has a lot of motorway use. Also I don't know if you've had it since new but previous owners can cause damage that shows itself later on in the cars life. We used to have a customer who burnt the clutch out every 1500 miles !

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
My misses went through a clutch at 30K in her Punto, all town stop start miles. 8 year old car on 54k? I would be amazed if any warranty paid out on that.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It's probably the slave so the clutch is fine and you're probably covered :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just heard back from the garage.

They think that I have a leak in the slave cylinder but cannot find it anywhere. They've changed the fluid as it was "dirty and all gunked up", bled the system and it seems to work now they say.
The warranty company would pay for the slave cylinder if the garage strip the whole clutch system down to prove that that is the actual problem, but won't let the garage do this unless I agree to pay for all the labour/parts etc if it turns out to be the clutch itself.

Now the garage say that if this goes ahead that "for good engineering reasons" they would recommend changing the master, slave & clutch all together, coming in just over £800.

As the car is now driving and clutch seems to work I'm told, I reckon I'll put off the work and wait to see what happens in 200+ miles. If it goes again, then play warranty roulette...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
And this is why you shoudn't waste your money with a warranty company. You end up being the loser and footing the bill as well as paying a premium for there supposed service. :rolleyes: I'd cancel it if I were you :) Still at least its working but yes if the slave has gone the master usually fail not long after :(

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Absolutely crazy to suggest changing the master cylinder as well - they rarely fail. The slave cylinders often fail however and it is good practice to change the clutch at the same time as the gearbox has to come off to do both jobs.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Absolutely crazy to suggest changing the master cylinder as well - they rarely fail. The slave cylinders often fail however and it is good practice to change the clutch at the same time as the gearbox has to come off to do both jobs.
Er actually they are known to fail after changing the slave. It's a bit of an alfa trait :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Really? Well I've seen a fair few in my time on various models. Seems to be about a month or two later. :(

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Change my slave and clutch last March and master is still going strong!

At least on a diesel you can get at the slave and simply change it ... unlike my TS!

I had the clutch go at 14 months from new. I'm not hard on clutches and at first Alfa said it wasn't warranty. Then when they took the box off, they phoned to say it WAS .. and the clutch cover had failed. They changed it with no cost to me ... but that was Alfa and not some dodgy take-it-or-leave-it warranty company.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Master cylinders can fail with no fluid leakage apparent. The failing seal may then start to work again especially if the fluid is changed. The symptoms you describe are 99% likely to be hydraulics so the obvious thing to do, if the same problem happens again, would be to change the master, cheapest first option by far. If that doesn't cure it then you've got to take the gearbox off whatever and take your chances with the "Warranty" company.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It could have been me writing the original post, just about made it home last Monday, 4 miles from home. Gear selection became notchy and pedal was getting lower and lower to the floor.

Luckly not too many lights on the way home, I had noticed a bit of clutch slippage in 4th gear when excelerating hard. When I got home I had to switch the engine off to select reverse, engine on, just to park the damn thing.

Anyway, Slave cylinder was replaced to no avail, so clutch kit was ordered and fitted along with master cylinder and os ball joint (somehow threaded) was also replaced.

Just got my baby back and had a quick test drive! :thumbs:

The clutch now feels as light as my '94 Mazda 323, which is quite remarkable considerering I have been complaining to Alfa about the heavy clutch when I bought it in Dec 07 @ 27000 miles. I still think it's a bit early for this failure to occur on a car thats only done 69000 miles, my Mazda has done 138000 on the orginal clutch!

Cost me 800 quid all in!

My mechanic said that everything he changed needed changing as they were knackered, full of dirt (slave), Clutch (f`ed), Master C (leaking), os Ball J (Threaded) all I need now is a set of front tyres :wow:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sounds like another clutch rip off job to me. This is a JTD right ? Your fundamental problem was probably just the clutch release mechanism needed lubricating, clutch was probably fine (I'd hardly expect the garage to say anything other than it was worn out in order to justify the unnecessary work). The heaviness probably killed the master cylinder which caused the gear change problem, just a new master cylinder required. There is a thread on here that covers all of this ... heavy notchy clutch, slipping in 4th etc etc ... easily cured all for the cost of a bit of oil. Still doesn't stop garages changing perfectly healthy clutches for no good reason.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another clutch rip off

I have read in previous posts that a new clutch transforms the driving experience, and yes I can confirm this is so!
-Take up of each gear is slick and a pleasure to use
-No hesitation in 2nd/3rd gear corners
-Super Smooth power delivery
-I can now use full power with confidence.

Plus a set of new boots (Pirelli PZero Rosso)

All those bits mentioned needed changing cos I saw the state of the previous clutch and it was knackered.

Another clutch rip off, I don't know, but it feels fantastic!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts