Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Morning Steve.... i've got my GT on finance...ywo reasons... I can drive a car I wouldn't normally be able to afford and the second is i'm not paying for the full purchase price... so in 3 years swap her for another.... :)

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Like any form of car purchasing there are some great deals around. The only downside I see is the PCH is on rrp for the car where in reality we know nobody in their right might would pay rrp at the moment.

Still a great way to drive a lovely car for a reasonable amount of money each month :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Yep it looks a cracking deal at mo Steve

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Tempting as it is - especially at the current rates - I look at it simply as paying interest on the money you are losing in depreciation. Better to take an extra 12 months payment terms at a lower APR and have something that is yours at the end of it.
Just my 2p worth

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
advert in feel magazine for them at £269 p/m over 3 years, 10,000 miles p/a. 3 months up front

very tempting it has to be said

·
Registered
130 Posts
Guys and Gals

PCH is not done on the RRP of a car. It is done on the future residual value of the car. For example a car that costs £20k with discount and is worth £10k in 3 years time has a residual loss of £10k. The residual loss will be less when the mileage is low and higher when the mileage is high. That £10k is spread over the 3 years, 36 months, at £277.78 per month. The finance charge may be supported and may be anything from 3% to 15%. I would guess this deal is supported by a buy back price where the manufacturer guarantees to buy the car back from the Finance company, even if it is their own, for a set value. This would make the car around £300 with a cut for the dealer or the broker doing it. I suggest you ask the broker or the dealer how much commission they are making as this is paid for by you.

The cost then in this scenario would be £300 to £315 per month. I advise that you look at a maintained contract so you are not billed for any maintenance you have failed to complete.

The big benefit is that unlike PCP where you either have to give it back or pay the balloon you can often keep the car if you like it on an involuntary extention paying monthly until you get what you want to replace it.

Sorry if i have taught granny how to suck eggs but I think this is the best way to own a car by a country mile.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Going to take a look at the 1.9 JTDM 170HP Q2 deal next week. Currently got a 57 GT 2 litre petrol on a PCP and I'm paying £340/month (inc GAP). I can get the above car on PCH for £319 and that includes road tax (saves a couple of hundred quid a year).

Just depends on whether I can drag myself away from the sound of a nice high-revving petrol engine and whether I actually like any of the three colours when I see them in the flesh.

Oh yeah, and the cost of settling my PCP 2 years early. As I had it on an 8000/year deal and I've only done 2K I hope it'll work out nicely.

As these are Alfa UK deals I doubt there will be any room for movement on the deal itself. Time will tell. ;)

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I'm going for a test drive in the Q2 tomorrow. :D

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a few concerns

but i'll work them through before i do anything rash

three colours is a bummer but I like the 3 colours - though one website said they do it in the 8c red for an extra £15k = misprint surely.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Guys and Gals

PCH is not done on the RRP of a car. It is done on the future residual value of the car. For example a car that costs £20k with discount and is worth £10k in 3 years time has a residual loss of £10k.
Sorry if i have taught granny how to suck eggs but I think this is the best way to own a car by a country mile.

Sorry mate i'm not quite following this. If they publish a PCH price of say £279 p/month they have obviously worked it from a starting price rrp or not. If that price is 20K surely that is the price on the forecourt as well to the cash buyer ? So the cash buyer get's his bargaining hat on and buys the car for £18K. He worships his car and sell's privately for 11K after 3yrs. He's lost 7K over three years + his loan interest against the @£10.88K the PCH price cost.

Surely it will always be cheaper to buy a car with cash (if you have it) - they key is if you are able to spend that money tied up in the car better elsewhere.....in the current climate probably not !!

I'm no expert here so please correct me if i'm wrong here :thumbs:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
nope the 8c red is indeed a £15k option:eek: i read somewhere on here thought hat there are a few cars becoming available from the ARUK press fleet which have the paint and they ain't charging any massive premium for it:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nope the 8c red is indeed a £15k option:eek: i read somewhere on here thought hat there are a few cars becoming available from the ARUK press fleet which have the paint and they ain't charging any massive premium for it:thumbs:
typically insane alfa :rant:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Spider 2.2JTS-£30,250
GT Cloverleaf 1.9JTDm Q2-£23,730
159 Ti 2.4 JTDm QTRONIC-£31,295
Brera S 3.2 V6-£28,450
All in the £15,255 red paint finish,they were the display cars from the motor show at ExCel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh yeah, and the cost of settling my PCP 2 years early. As I had it on an 8000/year deal and I've only done 2K I hope it'll work out nicely.

As these are Alfa UK deals I doubt there will be any room for movement on the deal itself. Time will tell. ;)
If you lower the annual mileage it does lower the monthly payments.

We will not do anywhere near 10k in a year so went for 8k to be safe (could have gone for around 6k) and it brought the payments down ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was expecting to do far more but I had to have heart surgery in April which reduced my driving considerably. All in all I've had almost 5 months off work and spent the rest working from the office during the year so that curtailed my mileage somewhat. Besides that, who wants to put massive mileage on a GT, she's really just there to look stylish and gorgeous and to put a smile on your face when you sit in her. :D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
As others have said PCH is a great way to finance a vehicle. Its simply paying the depreciation monthly without the hassle of having to arrange a loan and then sell the car at the end. Plus it gives you fixed cost motoring (not susceptible to VED changes etc) and if you are really clever with you choice you can actually defeat the depreciation curve and come away better off financially than buying the car outright.

Some people gasp at the prospect of getting a car on finance, but its surely the best way - as some wise soul once said:

"If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, finance it."

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have ordered a Q2 on this deal. Got a slight reduction in the monthly payment as part of the trade-in bargaining. My take on it is that the car will depreciate more than what the total payment will be over 3 years. I am therefore covering myself at that end of the deal. I also have my money in the bank for 3 years gaining interest. So I am ahead at the beginning as well.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
TBH, I wasn't that impressed with the Q2 cloverleaf.

Need a 24hr test drive really.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts