Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my hands on a lovely new GT Cloverleaf next week, and was planning to treat myself even further to a cd changer to go nicely with the BOSE, but I have been thinking... its not 1984, maybe MP3 is the way to go!

Anybody have any suggestions as to an add on that works really well with the GT stereo and steering wheel controls? Would prefer an Ipod as I already have Itunes ready on the PC.

Many thanks

(BTW I ordered Alfa Red, not sure if I should have got the new blue)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Ipod is the way to go :thumbs: . I always found the changer to be a bit skippy which can be annoying as hell :mad:

There are quite a few threads around discussing the various options. I have a Alfa Ipod adaptor. It plugs into the rear of the stereo where the changer would have plugged into. It acts in a similar fashion to the changer in that you create playlists which you can put 99 tracks in each playlist. Or you could just lump the whole lot into one playlist.

Do a search though there's plenty of threads regarding the various options.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just bought the Dension gateway100 (£100), (bluetooth bit still to come £50).Plugs into a cradle on dash,or the docking plug I put in my glovebox,it works with steering wheel buttons,shows cd and track nos on the multiple display screen,but not titles,and I`m a bit confused as to how many playlists I have,there`s meant to be 5 lists with 99 songs on each,and one list of all songs.Maybe I have to do sommat else? :confused:

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Gateway 100 interface is poor (I use it as a 14 day long random play jukebox so it doesn't bother me much!) :cool: ) I ran mine into the glovebox rather than buy the drawer, and it's tidier than the cradles.

Best suggestion : in iTunes prefix your playlists with numbers e.g. 1Rock, 2Pop, 3Whatever, etc. That way the 5 playlists will correspond with the numbers 1-5 on the head unit.

It is possible to work with playlists from the headunit, but you need the Gateway in the right mode (mine defaults to aux input if I don't switch off the headunit before the ignition :rolleyes: ) and then remember the combinations of buttons to press.

Give the instructions a few reads - you'll get the pattern down after a while.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thanks Straightenout,I`ll try that ,I`ve not really had a lot of time to set it up,getting too cold to work on the car.:cry:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anybody have any suggestions as to an add on that works really well with the GT stereo and steering wheel controls? Would prefer an Ipod as I already have Itunes ready on the PC.
I'e got the Alfa iPod connector as well. Works through the steering wheel controls. iPod sits nicely in the glovebox. Found it a little temperamental to start with, not being recognised by the head unit, but once I'd learnt that the iPod has to be playing a playlist before you plug it in, it was fine.

Get the garage to throw it in, fitted, for free as part of the deal if you can. Doesn't cost them much and it saves you fiddling around with the dash and causing rattles with the wires.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Am I the only person who hasn't got an ipod :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am I the only person who hasn't got an ipod :lol:
No. I have a Creative Vision M and I would like to connect it via an aux in connector as I did successfully in my previous car. I've already tried connections as suggested here but it doesn't work. It seems that connections for the head unit in the GT cloverleaf are different. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be very happy. I have searched and there are a few related threads though none has the answer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've already tried connections as suggested here but it doesn't work. It seems that connections for the head unit in the GT cloverleaf are different.
Hiya, my GT doesn't work with this either. However, I noticed the stereo may be a later model, with the MP3 logo on it, and no source button to select a changer. Could it be they've taken out the CD changer functionality? Given it can read MP3 CD's, maybe they thought it wouldn't be needed?

hasmac.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hiya, my GT doesn't work with this either.....
Hi
I've contacted the folks at partsworld and they say that this will work with the HUs factory fitted to the cloverleaf. If that's correct there must be a way of getting an auxiliary input into it. I'd be really keen to find out how it works as the price and the fact that I'd need to doctor it to work with a non-ipod mp3 player are putting me off buying it. For the moment I've gone with an FM modulator (not transmitter) and though this works I'd much prefer the quality of a direct connection.
I love just abut everything about my GT so it's a real shame that Alfa seem to be in the dark ages when it comes to ICE.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Agreed. My GT only has a Basic CD player. Doesn't even support mp3.
I'm going to order the Ipod cable that partsworld supply at the link below
Ipod Lead - Alfa 147/GT/159/Brera [71804065] - £89.99 : Partsworld-uk.com, Car Parts and Accessories for Alfa Romeo, Citroen, Fiat, Hyundai, Kia Seat and Suzuki

I will try to fit it at home. If it don't work the man said I can get my money back. Worth a try for a shade under 90 quid.
My Alfa dealer want in excess of 150 to do it. I will route the wire into the spare card holder, next to the cup holder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've given up and gone back to CDs for the moment. The quality with the FM modulator is no good for me. I'd be interested to hear how yo get on with the Partsworld thingy though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've given up and gone back to CDs for the moment. The quality with the FM modulator is no good for me. I'd be interested to hear how yo get on with the Partsworld thingy though.
I ordered it today. Should come in a couple of days. I will let you know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts