Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has been converted to Alfas by my Spider. He is considering a nice wee GT Cloverleaf in Misano blue - same as Andyman's I think.

The only stumbling block is that he's been told that it doesn't have any ipod connectivity options. I was a bit surprised to hear that on a new car these days TBH.

Is it correct? And, if so, how do you guys get round the problem?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hi,

The Cloverleaf comes with the Bose Stereo system but this only refers to the Amp and speakers; the head unit is in fact a Blaupunkt 937... From the best of my research, this Blaupunkt bluetooth adaptor adaptor should give it USB connectivity, including limited support for IPods..I've not bought an Ipod for exactly the same reason that I didn't buy a BMW 3 series!

I've specifed bluetooth/MP3 connectivity as part of the deal from my dealer, so I'll let you know exactly what I get in about 3 weeks if you can wait 3 weeks!

Regards

Kendal

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll pass this info on.

I've already got an FM transmitter - and expect No. 1 son does too. OK for short term but has shortcomings for long term use.

He's really looking for an integrated solution.

I'd be obliged if you'd keep me posted Kendal. Although I don't quite get the ipod / BMW connection.

Anyhow he / I already have our Ipod touch / Iphone, so we just want to know to best to get our music into the cars.

His question is more important than mine as it could be a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The alfa GT does have a ipod connection but surprise surpise it is an optional extra. The connectivity comprises of a connection lead, this allowes you to control the ipod through the radio or via the steering wheel controls. Part no 71804065. And an ipod draw which replace the cup holder and card draws, Part no 50903187.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't have an ipod?? :rolleyes:
It has an mp3 player if thats any use.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
It doesn't have an MP3 player - it'll just play CDs that have MP3s on them.

Yes, there's an iPod connector as described above, I have one, but it's a £200 option.

Alternatively, Dension make one that's pretty much identical which you can probably find and fit for less yourself if you're that way inclined.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
It doesn't have an MP3 player - it'll just play CDs that have MP3s on them.
:eek:
Thats what I meant.

Why not get one of those transmitters, play the music through the phone/mp3 player and it gives a radio signal. Total cost around £20, far cheaper than the £200 option.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The alfa GT does have a ipod connection but surprise surpise it is an optional extra. The connectivity comprises of a connection lead, this allowes you to control the ipod through the radio or via the steering wheel controls. Part no 71804065. And an ipod draw which replace the cup holder and card draws, Part no 50903187.
Gav you're a star!

Just what he wanted to know - with the added bonus of losing the cup holder which he thinks is a bit naff.

Brilliant.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hi, The standard GT head unit does, but I'm pretty sure that this won't fit the Blaupunkt headunit that comes in the Cloverleaf with the Bose system; there doesn't seem to be a partcode specifically for this.. I may be wrong but I'm 95% certain that the stock head unit and the Cloverleaf are different and have different connectors..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, The standard GT head unit does, but I'm pretty sure that this won't fit the Blaupunkt headunit that comes in the Cloverleaf with the Bose system; there doesn't seem to be a partcode specifically for this.. I may be wrong but I'm 95% certain that the stock head unit and the Cloverleaf are different and have different connectors..
That would explain the dealer's statement that it wasn't an option.

Back to the aftermarket options then.....

..... or resign myself to being the only Alfa owner in the family.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
:eek:
Thats what I meant.

Why not get one of those transmitters, play the music through the phone/mp3 player and it gives a radio signal. Total cost around £20, far cheaper than the £200 option.
Fair dos - but what people mean when they refer to "an MP3 player" is a solid-state or hard-drive device that you can store MP3 files on (which is more or less what an iPod is).

The sound quality on the FM transmitters is shocking, IMHO, plus the Alfa and Dension units give you control of the iPod through the steering wheel controls, which in an age where you can get nicked for so much as looking at a mobile phone whilst driving is a lot safer, I think.

:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
The alfa ipod lead does work with the bose system, i have it on my blackline. You need to double check the ipod drawer part no. as it comes in two colours, silver or dark gray.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Fair dos - but what people mean when they refer to "an MP3 player" is a solid-state or hard-drive device that you can store MP3 files on (which is more or less what an iPod is).

The sound quality on the FM transmitters is shocking, IMHO, plus the Alfa and Dension units give you control of the iPod through the steering wheel controls, which in an age where you can get nicked for so much as looking at a mobile phone whilst driving is a lot safer, I think.

:)
Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the transmitters. You have a point though, I might "get with the times" and get myself an ipod. :lol:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You'd be surprised how useful they are. Took me ages to take the plunge, but having so much music on such a small device is very handy :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the after market transmitters, the best one one the market is the McNally cup, it sits in the cup holder, you can adjust the frequency and it has by far the best quality of any on the maket, I had one and it was outstanding. Plus you can plug it in to the utility port (ciggy lighter) and it doesn't depend on the ipods battery life. But again you loose a cup holder.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I`ve been told the cable is £85,and the Ipod drawer is £35 (approx)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Personally, dont buy the drawer, just have the lead appearing in the glovebox instead.

The drawer might as well say 'steal me' on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts