Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cigarette lighter bulb died on me recently. There are a few threads on here about how to take them apart to replace but mostly for 147 which I think is different. So on the GT here's what I did and bulb is now successfully replaced.

1. Pull the little coin tray out and unscrew the screw below it.
2. Take the whole tray out slowly and underneath you will see the connector to the lighter.
3. push the tab in on the connector and pull it off. The tray should now be free.
4. At this point I 'thought' I had to get the metal lighter out to do the replacement. There are various descriptions of this on the forum in other threads but it's a *****. There are two 'tabs' that lock the metal barrel to to the red plastic 'lens' as it were. What I found worked for me was twisting the bottom clockwas to basically move the tabs out of the holes. I then VERY gently worked a screwdriver in between the red ring and the metal ring and then twisted and eventially the metal ring popped out. After doint this I suddenly realised for a bulb replacement it was not necessary. I include this for anyone that might need to replace the actual lighter.
5. SO, at this point metal piece is back in and we are where we were in step 3. Turn over the tray with the ligher on your left. Gently push the bottom diagonally toward the upper right corner. It should move up a bit with a click.
6. Near the base is a little plastic shield which pops off. Pop this off to expose the tab that keeps the bulb in.
7. You will see a little 'dot' that you can push in at this poing. Push this in with a small screwdriver or pen and gently pull the bulb out. Replace, reverse steps and you should be good to go!

I did take some photos which I'll try and put up later. Hope this helps keep someone else from spending too much time for a bulb! BTW the bulb you need is 12v 1.2W. I got them from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120889964005?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for that,have been meaning to do this for a while,orderd the bulb using your link,will get to it as soon as it arrives.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I should have mentioned. When I first replaced the bulb it was still not lighting. Was really gutted thinking I'd messed up the wiring. Tried another bulb and viola! For 2 quid I guess I can't complain!!

·
Registered
Alfa Mito, 2010, 1.4NA, 6-speed
9,357 Posts
Has the 147/GT got a red illuminated ring around the lighter? 156 has green and I want to try and swap.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It wasn't meant as a criticism - I'd be really happy to get down to that level. :thumbs:
none taken :thumbup:

Not sure I'm at that level. I'm just doing all the niggly crap that I think in the end makes it all the better and when the big stuff gets done I'm even more chuffed!

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Yes its red

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers t3yls ... so having acquired said GT lighter I've now go to get the b*****d out of the red plastic ring ... what a nightmare of a job ..

And I thought a head-gasket was hard! :irked:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers t3yls ... so having acquired said GT lighter I've now go to get the b*****d out of the red plastic ring ... what a nightmare of a job ..

And I thought a head-gasket was hard! :irked:
Gazza, I do have pics of my take apart but problems with my card getting them out. Hope to sort soon. Any event turn the lighter clock-wise from the bottom a bit. This moves the plastic catches over. Then from the top get a thin flathead screwdriver insert under the metal bit nad twist a bit. I put some cloth over the screwdriver to avoid damaging the plastic. It will eventually come free. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Thanks for the hints ...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Cigarette lighter bulb died on me recently. There are a few threads on here about how to take them apart to replace but mostly for 147 which I think is different. So on the GT here's what I did and bulb is now successfully replaced.
I'm sure this is all unnecessary, I've replaced the bulb in my GT lighter and didn't do all this. Pretty sure once the ashtray assembly is out you can separate the bulb holder. I'll have a look later.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
But I WANT to take the lighter out of the ashtray unit to swap it .... so the painful task is a necessity for me ...

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
You'll find it doesn't fit ... I have one and it's not the same shape/size as the 156 one.

And Alfa has three cables to a socket on back ..

Usual misleading fleabay advert ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts