Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, went to have look at alfa gt 55reg,2.0jts 60k miles.
Needs new bumper, wing and door, didn't look like anu suspension bits will need to be changed. Just a drop link. And its a very small drop link :) She's Cat c, will need vic test. Starts and drives 0.5m ( not enough space). Looks very tidy. Full leather. he wants 2k for it, i might drop another 200 if i'm lucky.
Does anyone knows how much would be door, wing and bumper? 400?
Probably will need cambelt doing - another 100,
vic test 50
tax 100
Is it worth 3k?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
From your price estimates I assume that you are doing the work yourself and doing the minimum and then looking to sell it. My assumption is based on the fact that you can't do cam belt with water pump and variator for £100.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i thought it was this till u said it was only £2k
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-55-ALFA-ROMEO-GT-2-0-JTS-COUPE-damaged-salvage-/170757624954?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5447354975789997279
thats £2.6k though
i wouldnt do the belt yourslef unless i have the cam lock u will more than likely ruin the engine if ur thinking of tipex to mark them
to find a good door, wing bumper in correct colour is gonna be hard, id budget £500 for the parts, most with damage are front end so parts as scarce

for what is worth here is one repaired wanting a vic test.....similar year and miles
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-GT-2-0-JTS-BLACK-2004-54-REG-LOW-MILES-GREY-LEATHERS-/200697244540?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2eba7ceb7c

thats £3.1k

remember that the value of the car is allways gonna be less that one that asnt been repaired

if your car is buyable for £2k then its worth it.......the one i linked to at the top isnt....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The downside is some of the major insureres no longer cover cat c or d, another factor is the car will only be worth half the amount of a "normal" version especially with the way the details stamped on the front of the v5.3k seems a lot to me you can now pick them up (gts) for 3k undamaged.I know i may sound cynical but a salvage company will have its fair share of cronies buying nice salvage before it needs to end up on ebay.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The downside is some of the major insureres no longer cover cat c or d, another factor is the car will only be worth half the amount of a "normal" version especially with the way the details stamped on the front of the v5.3k seems a lot to me you can now pick them up (gts) for 3k undamaged.I know i may sound cynical but a salvage company will have its fair share of cronies buying nice salvage before it needs to end up on ebay.
forgot about possible insurance probs......some will refuse outright.....others may want a larger premium

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, i agree on insurance, will have to see how much will it be.
gt for 3k? i want to see one :) not near me. And if there are any, they will be high milage and diesel.
Shes silver, so one of the most common colours available - parts should'nt be a problem - the price will be.
The 3.1k black one has been fixed, but its 50 miles from me and its not road legal - will cost about half a mortgage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have recently repaired a 56 pate 1.9Jtd which was cat c which my boss at work bought.., I needed a bonnet , front bumper , radiator , pair of headlights , pair of wings , grille , indicators and all the plastics for the front. I would just like to put my 2 pence worth in and say getting the bits was a complete pain..!...It took me 5 months of trawling the internet and probably about 1000 miles of driving to find someone breaking a GT to get the bits.....seems like all damaged GT's are front enders..!...And some of the bits I managed to get weren't the best and they still needed a bit of TLC....The only part I couldn't get was an o/s wing and had to go to Alfa for it....£200 odd quid if I remember correctly.....In this case the car was worth it as it only had 49000 miles and only cost £1700......

If you had to go to Alfa for parts if memory serves i think a bonnet was £550 , bare front bumper was £350 , headlights were £200 ish , indicators £40 ish....I cant remember the price for the grille and plastics im afraid but thats my experience with repairing a GT......Would I do i again..??......errrr...no..!...

If you go ahead then I wish you the best of luck..!!...:)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That one has near side damage, so it should'nt be too hard to find parts. Im getting qoutes first for parts and then i will push the salesman further down on price. He had that car for ages, i bet in a few weeks time he will go lower.
Does anyone know roughly the insurance companies are selling salvage for? Because i can't see enough damage to be a write off. Bumper, wing, door + respray - 2k max. but the car is worth about 5 k.

K

·
0 Posts
That one has near side damage, so it should'nt be too hard to find parts. Im getting qoutes first for parts and then i will push the salesman further down on price. He had that car for ages, i bet in a few weeks time he will go lower.
Does anyone know roughly the insurance companies are selling salvage for? Because i can't see enough damage to be a write off. Bumper, wing, door + respray - 2k max. but the car is worth about 5 k.
I bet the panels come to well over a grand because I doubt you can get pattern ones. Plus labour, plus materials, plus 20% VAT. Relatively small shunts can write relatively new cars off quite easily.

If it was cheap, and a plentiful model, I'd be tempted to give it a go. In this case, it could end up costing you more than a non-damaged one, plus it's always going to be hard work to sell on.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A gt can be had for around 3k look on ebay not at classifieds but private sellers. ,Maybe it will be a diesel but imo thats a bonus, a 1.9 gt diesel with a £200 remap has over 160 bhp will do over 50 mpg thats a realistic 20 miles every gallon better than a petrol, its considerably cheaper to tax and it has a sound engine so it wont end up on ebay cos the bottom end has gone!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A gt can be had for around 3k look on ebay not at classifieds but private sellers. ,Maybe it will be a diesel but imo thats a bonus, a 1.9 gt diesel with a £200 remap has over 160 bhp will do over 50 mpg thats a realistic 20 miles every gallon better than a petrol, its considerably cheaper to tax and it has a sound engine so it wont end up on ebay cos the bottom end has gone!
Yeah,but they sounds like kubotas.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Yeah,but they sounds like kubotas.
They do indeed :lol:

Mine is a cat D. Some light front end damage requiring a bumper and offside wing I believe. Does not seem to take much for them to be a damaged repairable car :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts