Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 GT Jtd unfortunately wants to drive itself. It doesn't obey the driver , it only reflects all the bad of the road path to the steering wheel

The steering wheel is also a problem itself , it's very hard (not because of tyres) ,and what else can we blame ? The pump , or the hydraulic liquid ? Anything else ?

But the biggest problem , after changing a lot of things on the front , we cant get rid of "driving of its own" situation of the car ? ...

I have to GTs , one of has 16 inch wheels , other has 18 inch ... but having 18 inch wheels ONLY will always make this problem ?

Any help ? Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got them checked and many of them changed. But the services man insists that this is a normal situation when using 18 inch wheels on bad path.

It may be , okey but isn't there any way to get rid of it . Car is Q2 1.9.. Slower speeds are mess to drive at.

The steering wheel moves on its own according to the path faults

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
What size wheels and tyres do you have? Are they standard?

Sorry you mentioned 16" and 18". Are both cars affected?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only 18 inch one .. 16 inch has noises ,some disturbs on bad path but not like self-moving steering wheel like the 18 inch one ...

the biggest problem is to choose the part to put the blame on ... wheels checked ,tyres changed , balanced ,route calibration done .. wishbones , axles checked ..

if it may be any other part , which one ... if it's only because of 18' wheels , are there any mods to get it solved

i also found this topic .. similar to mine

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/190280-steering-problem-on-gt.html

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you tried jacking each wheel up and checking if they're loose ? Could be nuts, wheel bearing, ball joint etc.

What you're describing isn't very clear though, it sounds like 'tramlining' which basically means the car follows dents in the tarmac caused by trucks etc. Not a great deal you can do about that , reducing the wheel camber may help but that will affect the handling. You can achieve a similar result on a lesser scale from just altering tyre pressures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's nice on clear paths ,no problem , but i doubt if driving even on a corrupted path , should it reflect that much to the steering wheel ..

which drives me suspicious , the only difference from my previous GT , is the 18 inch wheel.

aside from that , what "may" any other problems be ? chassis or ... etc ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My mistake , forgot the pass of the old account (tribaldancer) , then remembered .

but from different computers two seperate accounts were set as auto login ..

i'm logging off from this one (sharpbug) , other is intact ... sorry for my bad ..

·
Registered
28 Posts
What tyres are you using?
I've found asymmetric tread pattern is a real pain on my GT, that tramline and wear badly
I've got Good Years on mine and they're fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My previous tires (17" unevenly worn bridgestones) were also pretty bad at tramlining. Problem disappeared entirely when changing to a new set of falkens. Pretty expensive to change a full set of tires just to find that the problem isn't solved though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That test will be done =) , and to support the info , my tyres are goodyear eagle f1 ass. 2 - 225 /40 / 18

(2.5 bar front , 2.4 bar rear ) (but the tyres are new and old ones had the same prob.)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
That test will be done =) , and to support the info , my tyres are goodyear eagle f1 ass. 2 - 225 /40 / 18

(2.5 bar front , 2.4 bar rear ) (but the tyres are new and old ones had the same prob.)
I have Goodyear eagle F1's 215/45/17" on mine. I also have a slight creak on the front offside which is probably a dry/worn wishbone bush? However there is no tramlining whatsoever on my car.
Tyre pressures were roughly the same when I last checked. Might be the 18"'s but I have not heard of anybody else complaining. An old Mondial I had with 240x390mm (metric) tyres was awfully good at tramlining. :(

Maybe get all your geometry checked, toe-in/out camber etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the 18" on mine, no particular tramlining on a normal surface but if it's particularly bumpy it will tend to follow the contours. Just a characteristic of the size wheel, I feel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts