Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So as a new Alfa owner I'm preparing myself for unexpected stoppages to enjoy the look of the stationary vehicle.. Nice as it is, I would like to get back on the road ASAP..

So, what's everybody's "must have" list of practical spares and tools to carry in their car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
- breakdown membership
- blanket!
- tyre gunk (no spare with the 18's)
- bluetooth OBD reader. Read codes through smartphone and post them on here, whilst waiting for the breakdown van

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
- breakdown membership
- blanket!
- tyre gunk (no spare with the 18's)
- bluetooth OBD reader. Read codes through smartphone and post them on here, whilst waiting for the breakdown van
  • Blanket - Got the dog blanket in the back, plus my big high-vis plant jacket for work..
  • Tyre gunk - I have a spare in the back? It's a skinny spare, but spare nonetheless?
  • Bluetooth OBD reader - check! Haven't actually plugged it in yet to make sure I can pair it etc.. Should probably try that sooner rather than later.. Where is the OBDII socket on the GT? Somewhere under the steering wheel?

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
usually on 156/147 there is a fusebox cover on the right of the steering wheel lower down and the OBDII socket is there...

usually pairs up with the phone app really easily...

dont carry spares as such except RAC card but blanket water petrol jump leads tow rope warning triangle and a few maglites and warning lamps

plus altered the boot on the 156 carry a full size spare and tools to change..

used to carry tools but most times its never what you need or you dont have the parts..lol.. maybe a multi tool in case you need some thing simple

·
Registered
489 Posts
One thing I always carry now is a small nail, although others have used a paperclip or a key ring or indeed the correct replacement pin.

For if the clutch pedal pin ever breaks.

Its one of those things that instantly immobilises your car but if you have something available you can quickly make a temp fix and get going again.

Spare fuses and relays could be useful too - but I've never needed to use them yet (looking for some wood to touch).

In the past I've used gaffer tape to make a temporary repair on a leaking hose.

I also have an electric tyre pump, a longer wheel brace and a piece of hardwood about 12"x8" if ever I need to jack the car on soft ground.

And I've got one of those cigar lighter to cigar lighter jump lead sets.

My experience has always been if you carry something you never need it - but as soon as you don't have it the gods will punish you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts