Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GT has been parked up for a while. i restarted it, took it for a spin. brakes were por and disks were rusty, so I gave it plenty of stop start to clean them. now the pedal is gone really bad , have to pmp like mad to even stop it. no leaks, no loss of fluid. Its goes solid when i pump it with the engine off. Is it the servo or the master cylinder? how to tell which is at fault?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
When was the last time you changed the brake fluid?

Fade with hard use is an indication that the fluid might be goosed... Cheap and easy to change too!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long time ago, and then it was a Groupon deal, where the garage (Toyota main dealer) presented me with a ?1000 estimate of work they 'found' needed doing, including replacing the not long replaced front anti roll bar, so I reckoned it was a scam, not sure if they even replaced the fluid. Long time ago anyway, so I'll try that first. What does 'goosed' mean? Is it gas pockets popping up due to moisture in the fluid?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
What does 'goosed' mean? Is it gas pockets popping up due to moisture in the fluid?
It's a silly idiom, in this case in means knackered and in need of repair/replacement.

Easy job to DIY if you're confident, if not then any local mechanic should be able to do it for minimal charge tbh..

For future reference, brake fluid should be flushed/exchanged every 2 years.. It does absorb moisture over time, which can be very dangerous if/when the fluid in the caliper gets hot.. You completely lose the brakes!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking closer, front pads are shot, metal back binding on the outer lip of the worn disk. Friction material must have pulled off when I braked hard repeatedly on the corroded disks. The metal back can't press flat to the disk because they're so worn and indented. I'm replacing the lot, front and back, then fresh fluid and a bleed. Mister-auto have disks and pads for e126 in total front and back, so its a cheap job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts