Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any one find a change in the brake pedal feel between winter & summer, so the cold & the not quite so cold? Is there to be expected any difference in performace of types of brake fluid? Does it go off? I know its down to be changed every 2/3 years. Well mine likes the warm, a bit of a unsmooth feel in the cold/wet. This is nothing to be with the brake pads, as its the feel with the car started but not moving. So in the heat of this weekend , applying my foot to the brake pedal its a smooth even movment. But in the colder,wetter days earlier in the week the first pressure on the pedal was jumpy & creaky, this is with the car standing no brake pad applying on discs I am thinking air getting in the system? or perhaps the fluid better when thinner. What is peoples thought on upgrading the brake lines & changing the fluid?

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
That is more likely to be related to pad compound than the brake fluid.
The discs will cool slightly quicker in the cold weather and some pads need more heat than others to work at their best.

M

·
0 Posts
Ambient air tempature will not affect brake fluid in any way you could notice but a regular change is advised but as Davidc said the pad material makes a big difference and also the tension of your handbrake...

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic .. it attract moisture, so after a while the efficiency drops. It's recommended to change the fluid regularly and a big improvement can be found using some of the newer performance fluids ..

'Goodridge' type flexible brake hoses can also make a difference especially on older cars where the hoses are weaker due to their age.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On checking my invoices, had car since new & its nearly 5 years young, I can see the 'replace brake fluid' being 'ticked' on the 3 year service but no charge on invoice. So could be original. Any cost to replace brake hoses known?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts