Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a Sandisk Sansa Fuze specifically to use in the car but I can't get the stereo to recognise that it's there. The stereo is the standard Bose system. I don't know if this will have any relevance but when I changed the battery recently there seems to have been some electrical glitches for example the second set of data from the trip computer disappeared. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
How are you trying to connect it to the head unit? The standard head unit has no AUX-IN (unless it changed on late models), there are workarounds, such as utilising the CD-IN, this was all discussed at some length in this thread a few weeks ago.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the ipod connection lead in and am connecting MP3 player to that. Does it only recognise ipods? Damn those overhyped, market-grabbing folks at Apple if it does. Oh yes, and this is a '58 model which has MP3 written on the head unit.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Sounds like a lead problem to me. I have an "ipod" lead connected to an ipod and it works a treat. If yours is the ipod lead, how do you manage to connect it to an MP3 player? I would have assumed the connector would have been apple specific?

·
Registered
262 Posts
have you read the post that pub has put up,as iff you have followed this all will become clear and it says mp3 on the head unit as it is mp3 enabled which meens it will play mp3 discs as in cd
steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have just bought a Sandisk Sansa Fuze specifically to use in the car but I can't get the stereo to recognise that it's there. The stereo is the standard Bose system. I don't know if this will have any relevance but when I changed the battery recently there seems to have been some electrical glitches for example the second set of data from the trip computer disappeared. Anyone have any ideas?
This might be a dumb question but you are selecting the right 'channel' aren't you? Select CD Changer and it should work - I only mention this because if you're specifically looking for MP3 player you won't find it and it occurs to me this could be the root of the problem. If that's not it then I haven't a clue!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of that. The thread previously (pub) seems to be talking about a different version as mine has no AUX/AUX2 option. I've checked out the lead that came ready connected with the car and it is the same as the one for my MP3 player. The manual says that the SRC button on the steering wheel should cycle through radio-CD-MP3-CD changer. Mine doesn't come up with MP3 although I think that it used to. Perhaps it is only shown when there is an MP3 CD inserted. I have been trying on the CD Changer channel but nothing. Is it possible that if the sound files are not in playlists then it won't recognise them?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I think I've got a very similar in car set up to you. The head unit has "mp3" written on it, but this is to show it reads mp3 written CDs.
The playlist feature does work from the ipod as though each list were an individual CD, but it also works on shuffle to play the whole track listing.
It has been stated that some of the headunits haven't got the CD changer function enabled and needs this to be done by a dealer?
When you scroll through the function (using either the head unit button or the steering wheel) do you see FM1-FM2-FM3-LW-MW-CD-CD changer?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Thanks for all of that. The thread previously (pub) seems to be talking about a different version as mine has no AUX/AUX2 option.
The standard head unit doesn't have an AUX input, we discovered that in the previous thread.

I've checked out the lead that came ready connected with the car and it is the same as the one for my MP3 player.
So it's a 3.5mm jack (headphone socket plug) you have, rather than the iPhone specific lead here.

The manual says that the SRC button on the steering wheel should cycle through radio-CD-MP3-CD changer. Mine doesn't come up with MP3 although I think that it used to. Perhaps it is only shown when there is an MP3 CD inserted.
Exactly right.

I have been trying on the CD Changer channel but nothing. Is it possible that if the sound files are not in playlists then it won't recognise them?
Well, if the car came with the lead already installed one would think it should work, I suspect it's one of these leads, however the blurb says they're not compatible with the standard head unit. Are you confident the previous owner ever had it working?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was one of the people trying to get my CD player to recognise the AUX cable. But failed miserably.

Having just seen this though:

I think I've got a very similar in car set up to you. The head unit has "mp3" written on it, but this is to show it reads mp3 written CDs.
The playlist feature does work from the ipod as though each list were an individual CD, but it also works on shuffle to play the whole track listing.
It has been stated that some of the headunits haven't got the CD changer function enabled and needs this to be done by a dealer?
When you scroll through the function (using either the head unit button or the steering wheel) do you see FM1-FM2-FM3-LW-MW-CD-CD changer?
When I scroll through the functions I get, FM1-FM2-FM3-LW-MW-CD. This is with the AUX cable connected, and without (have even connected pins 13/14 together on the plug to fool the head unit into thinking a cd changer was connected)

If I were to buy a CD changer would this mean that wouldn't be recognised also? (was planning on buying one)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks again guys. Pubsinger, it isn't one of THOSE leads, it's one of these. The previous owner was honest and very particular in everything (as I suspect most of us here are) and said that it worked. I guess one of my next options is to borrow an ipod from someone and see if that works. Yes Wynne71 it's exactly like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just found this on a Sansa forum
Some cars now come with a built-in dock for iPods – which could be pretty aggravating since that won’t work for a Sansa!
This could be the problem!!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Thanks again guys. Pubsinger, it isn't one of THOSE leads, it's one of these.
But that cable you've linked to *is* for an iPod, it's the same one I linked to above.

Has the SANSA got exacly the same socket as an iPod... and even if it has I'd think it very unlikely it would work with an iPod/iPhone cable.

Can you borrow and iPod/phone to see if that works?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right, sorted. The lead connected works with Apple products. It is the same connector as my Sansa but Apple use a different combination of the connectors within the lead. There is the option of a lead with a female ipod end and a 3.5mm headphone jack. In this case the stereo will recognise it within the CD Changer option. Damn you Apple you win again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts