Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know many other GT owners have had rattles, creaks and other noises from their rear hatch - my'04 GT JTD was no different.

The squeak/rattle (sounded like plastic on glass) seemed to me to be coming from around the brake light area in the near side corner of the hatch close to the hinge. It drove me up the wall.

So after 5 visits to Mangoletsi (car left for 20 days in total) including have the official "fix" done, copious amounts of dry-lube, taking off all the panels and "insulating", removing the boot poppers and replacing them, the fine chaps at Mango's finally nailed the problem.......

Open your rear hatch. Facing you on the rear edge of PARCEL shelf you will see two rubber stoppers/grommits. By simply removing these, the issue has been sorted - these items were apparently pressing against the inside trim to the extent that they were putting the whole rear hatch out of alignment and causing the rubber surrounding the window to rub against the paintwork.

I am not saying this will work for everyone, but its worth giving it a try......

Its like a different car now - the one it should have been from day one!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I actually removed all the plastic trim fitted to the inside of the boot lid to see if that helped, but this meant that the parcel shelf could then bounce up and down over bumps as it wasn't being held down firmly by the plastic trim pressing on these 2 rubber pads on the parcel shelf. It goes to show that there is pretty much a different cure for each and every GT.

Glad it's fixed though, mine is also silent as a mouse after a spell at the bodyshop to fix the spot welds.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Have done the same to mine and must report that all is quiet. Mind you it always has been in cold weather - we'll see in the summer....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jonwood,

My GT creak/rattle was less noticeble on really freezing mornings but as it warmed up, it came back.

4 days so far of rattle free motoring. I am a happy man!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My Gt could go for weeks being quite and then that hatch rattle would return with a vengeance for a few days and then go away again.

I was afraid to let the dealer start ripping trim apart as I am sure there then would be several rattles. Being told by the Alfa garage (when I complained about the rattle) that 'its a hatchback - all hatchbacks are like that!' :rolleyes: did not inspire confidence.

I now drive a Toyota Landcruiser as my everyday car and its serene quietness is so soothing after a hard day's work.:cool:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Well last night it was rattling all over the place. So I'll probably put the bungs back in again.....not that my girlfriend noticed. Maybe I'm just listening out for it now?!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I always suspected that it was the wiring loom or its supporting brackets inside the tailgate that were rattling but had it sold before I got around to finding out. If you have not done so already you should check the spare wheel / jack etc. Mine were completely loose and when tightened reduced the number of rattles to one - but as you say its a very annoying rattle when it happens. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a GT Q2 a new one picked up in July last year and it had had a rattle from new it was mostly at lower speeds.

It has just come back from its first service and it seems to be cured! :)

I am not sure what they did to it it was I beleive the official fix.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Nah, I've come to the conclusion that there simply isn't a general unified fix for the GT boot rattle. Mine's been through the lot and sometimes it's as quiet as a mouse and sometimes it squeaks and rattles like a em, er,......mouse.

Occasionally it's just that the ski-hatch ain't quite shut, sometimes it's because the weather is particularly freezing, sometimes the rubber bumper stops are a little out (I think there might be summer and winter settings).

I now just turn up the stereo and pretend i can't hear it.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have you done the "back seat catch fix" yet? (Grease / tape / re-alignment)

I 'temporarily' stuck a short length of insulation tape around each bar bit that the seat backs latch onto, and no creaks, squeaks or rattles since!!:thumbs:

Worth a try if you've not already done it.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Have you done the "back seat catch fix" yet? (Grease / tape / re-alignment)

I 'temporarily' stuck a short length of insulation tape around each bar bit that the seat backs latch onto, and no creaks, squeaks or rattles since!!:thumbs:

Worth a try if you've not already done it.
Haven't tried that one......:thumbs:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm glad to report that my GT is still silent as a mouse (a non squeaking one that is!) after 2 months due to the fixes carried out by Western AR. The service manager said he was currently driving a 57plate GT with the same rattles that mine had (mine is a 55plate) so they were going to carry out the same fixes as done on mine. Sounds like they have got is sussed finally.

It may be worth getting your dealer to phone Western AR in Edinburgh to expalin what fixes they have carried out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts