Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a bumper off job? Just did it on my 156 and was dead easy. Are there any guides? I used detergent and white spray grease as had no penetrating oil. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worth doing on the 156 as they have been known to fail and smash your windscreen and roof when doing so.
Thanks, also a known fault on the GT. Do you know if this is a bumper off job?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Can't imagine the bumper needs removing. The spring just needs a good clean and lube and give the bonnet a good slam and then a hard pull to check.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I do mine every couple of months or so along with the door/tailgate hinges and locks and the door handles and wing mirrors. I've recently changed to using a spray can of silicone lube - seems to work fine for me so far. Just ensure that the locking latch moves freely and the red plastic safety latch springs back into its effective position easily.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input people. Is anyone able to confirm whether the bumper needs to be removed or whether, like the 156, the whole mechanism can be accessed and removed by just detaching the plastic cover?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Thanks for the input people. Is anyone able to confirm whether the bumper needs to be removed or whether, like the 156, the whole mechanism can be accessed and removed by just detaching the plastic cover?
I think you can keep the catch in good order without removing anything.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I know on the 147 you can remove it without taking the bumper off, the only hard part is the single lower nut (the top 2 are easily accessible).
Sure I got to mine through the grille the first time I did it, just watch for the wire going to the alarm sensor that is in there.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I see you member car is a 156 and a GT, have you lifted the bonnet of the GT yet, if not you'll see the whole mechanism fully exposed. No need to remove anything to get at it.

I keep mine regularly lubricated and never seem to have any issues with the lock mechanism, the red, plastic release lever on the other hand can be a bit sticky.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I did mine on the 156 by stuffing a load of rags under the catch and spraying with engine cleaner. After a wash I lubricated everything with Lithium grease, it needs much less effort to close the bonnet than previously.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see you member car is a 156 and a GT, have you lifted the bonnet of the GT yet, if not you'll see the whole mechanism fully exposed. No need to remove anything to get at it.

I keep mine regularly lubricated and never seem to have any issues with the lock mechanism, the red, plastic release lever on the other hand can be a bit sticky.

All the best

Pub
Thanks! I've lifted the lid a bit but she is currently having a top end rebuild, only had her a month :censored:
Just want to get all the little bits that I can do done when she's back.

What exactly is the fault the GT has re bonnet latch?

·
Registered
400 Posts
As I understand it - it's actually two-fold. Firstly the main locking catch (the bits made of metal connected to the bonnet release cable) can become "lazy" and stick in the open position if the grease on the moving parts gets old and crusty and contaminated with road crud. Similarly the hinge on the red secondary "safety latch" if not maintained properly can stick in the open position. This combination allows the bonnet to flip open at speed - with the expected disastrous consequences.

Both of these issues are very easy to spot before they become an issue by anyone who actually opens their bonnet from time to time and takes a look at the said parts.

So the fault - if you can call it one - is that if you don't maintain your Alfa it might let you down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts