Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There

Has anyone replaced the standard HU with a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB54?

Once I fed ignition 12v (to A7) and lights 12v (to A6) from the cigarette lighter and provided permanent 12v to A4 all is good.

Sadly the steering wheel controls don't work, nor do I get the station ID on the dash display.

I believe the C2 connector to be the remote interface

GT C2 Standard Pins Woodstock C2
C7 Telephone NF in + C7 Telephone NF in +
C8 Telephone NF in - C8 Telephone NF in -
C9 Telephone Mute C9 Radio Mute
C10 Remote Control Sig A C10 RC +12v
C11 Remote Control Sig B C11 Remote Control
C12 Signal Earth C12 RC GND

Looks like it should work, what am I missing?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...or do I need something like.....

this adaper according to the site it's the same part number for the 156 and 147, might this work with the GT too?

Pub

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
the permanent/constant +12V wire is wire #7 in the alfa plug, not #4. so wire #7 needs to go to the 'constant' (usually YELLOW on most brands of headunit) powerwire on the DAB54.

the ignition wire is in position #4 in the alfa plug (if it exists, cos not all alfa's have a wire here) goes to the ACCessories (usually RED) powerwire on the DAB54.

as far as i know, there are no aftermarket headunits compatible with the MFD (multifunction display) in alfa's, including blaupunkt. so i don't think you'll get the data happening.

not exactly sure about the steering wheel connection. it could be that the small difference is in fact the problem. the GT has 2 'live' wires for the signals (RC-A and RC-B); these cater for the buttons on the left and right sides of the wheel (2 groups of 3 buttons).

from what you describe of the DAB54, it has +12V to supply power, perhaps to an external interface, a single signal wire, and the GND.

as such, the interface you've linked to should do the trick. best to discuss with the seller first.

:)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there

The permanent *was* indeed on A7 and there was nothing on A4, I had to perform the mod as mentioned above as the DAB54 needs permanent on A4 and ignition on A7. I waiting for the following to arrive

Control Interface Lead
Stalk Adapter

which should restore the steering controls. I'll let you know

Quite why Blaupunkt can't make all their HUs compatible is beyond me. Unless the make a ton of cash from plugs and adapters.

All the best

Pub

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
The permanent *was* indeed on A7 and there was nothing on A4, I had to perform the mod as mentioned above as the DAB54 needs permanent on A4 and ignition on A7.
ah, i see. :)

now that i think about it, the alfa plugs presumably fit directly into the back of the DAB54. i am always thinking that the new headunit has a wiring harness that connects between the alfa plug and new headunit - it's easier to modify the harness than the alfa plug. but that's not applicable in your situation.

Quite why Blaupunkt can't make all their HUs compatible is beyond me. Unless the make a ton of cash from plugs and adapters.
it would be too simple otherwise. ;)

:)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news, the items I linked to above worked a treat, I now have the steering controls working on the Woodstock.

As for finding a colour match for the HU surround, that's another matter. I've dismantled the ashtray twice and compared it with the lids of tins of spray in Halfords, sprayed it up, and I'm still not happy with it.

All the best

Pub

1 - 6 of 6 Posts