Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am installing an avic 930 in my black line.....Been doing alot of reading and am taking the install nice and slowly......I never guessed it woul;d be sooooo involved!

So far......

I have removed the existing stereo and cup holder, Cut out the middle divider and slotted in the facia and tray.

The ray slots in perfect but im not to happy with the facia colour.....i ordered grey over silver but now guess the blackline uses the anthrite grey?

Just to test the stereo is working i fitted the connects adapter cable and and steering control cable and all turned on and worked nicely.

I'm now about to purchase the PC2-36-AMPR harness for my bose.

next i would guess i need to run the gps arial and mic.......any pointers? I was going to fit these to the front window....arial passenger side.....mic drivers?

After that i will look in to wiring the speed pulse.......does anyone have a wiring diagram for a GT the could send me? from the threads ive found it looks quite simple but want to be sure.....pardon my ingnorance but what is the spped pulse actually for?

ipod connector......where have you guys fitted yours? the best place you be the centre anm rest but i can't see how that would be possible with the hinged joint....any photos would be great?

After that im lost....I see lots of post about cutting into this a switching this and that.... but whats actually necessary?

sorry to rattle on but i dont want to ruin my baby by getting it wrong!

thanks,

Laurence

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I'll answer what I know. :)

The ray slots in perfect but im not to happy with the facia colour.....i ordered grey over silver but now guess the blackline uses the anthrite grey?
Yeah, presumably anthracite. These are available, as it should be the same as a 147GTA dash. Though I don't know how perfect a match they are; usually, the colour is never perfect. Perhaps take your card/drink holder tray to a good paint shop, and have the colour matched and mixed into an aerosol, and respray your trim piece.

next i would guess i need to run the gps arial and mic.......any pointers? I was going to fit these to the front window....arial passenger side.....mic drivers?
If the mic wire is long enough, run it up via the A-pillar and to the area near the rearview mirror. Or else, I have my BT mic at the top of the A-pillar; it's fine there if the window is not lowered (buffetting noise).

I believe the GPS antenna does not need to be in direct 'line of sight' of the sky. Meaning, you can hide it under the dash, and doesn't have to be on top of the dash. So if you prefer to keep it hidden, maybe stick it somewhere under the dash beside the dashtop air vent. Or even remove the air vent housing (3 Allen key screws; one at the top/back of the housing, 2 at the front corners but accessed from underneath, with the headunit removed), and places it in the vacant space beside the air vent housing.

This is my GT dash, photo taken for other reasons, but it's the cavity for the dashtop vent: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/291726061.jpg

After that i will look in to wiring the speed pulse.......does anyone have a wiring diagram for a GT the could send me? from the threads ive found it looks quite simple but want to be sure.....pardon my ingnorance but what is the spped pulse actually for?
I've not had to access it, but I save this thread for reference. You may already have seen it: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/167221-speed-pulse-signal.html#post2573470

I believe the speed pulse signal may be optional. The sat nav can rely on the combination of the GPS antenna plus the car's speed, to pinpoint your location and travel speed. But it probably works fine without the speed pulse, except in areas of no GPS reception (eg: tunnels, city with skyscrapers, etc).

ipod connector......where have you guys fitted yours? the best place you be the centre anm rest but i can't see how that would be possible with the hinged joint....any photos would be great?
Depends whether you need ready-access to it or not, and how often. I have an iPod connection for my Alpine headunit, and have the cable coming out from under the carpet, under the passenger seat. I don't need to access my iPod very often; it usually just stays connected and in teh car, so I'm happy to hide it under there.

Many people run it to the glovebox, and create a hole in the side to pass the cable.

Before I had BT, I had a hardwired phone kit. I created a hole in the base of the centre console where the pen holder is, beside the handbrake. You could run the cable there, and trim the rubber mat and sit your iPod there. This pic was when I was fitting the phone kit: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/19095446/305220210.jpg

After that im lost....I see lots of post about cutting into this a switching this and that.... but whats actually necessary?
It will be necessary to sort out the powerwires.

In the Alfa plug, the main power supply (labelled Ub on the schematic sticker atop your factory headunit) is in position A7. Ensure this feeds to the new headunit's yellow 'constant' powerwire.

In the Alfa plug, there is no ignition wire; instead, the factory headunit is triggered on/off via the CANBUS wires. So you need to tap into an alternative 'switched' powerwire, to connect to the new headunit's red 'accessories' wire. The cigaratte lighter powerwire is one option (middle of three wires in the plug).

Refer to the Guidelines thread for more details (I presume you've read it already though).

:)

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
A lot of people simply put the gps antenna on top of the metal cage containing your HU (it has a magnetic base), this usually works perfectly. As long as it's mounted right side up, with no metal between the antenna and the sky.

Re the speedpulse, if it has one (as the 930 does), it's a good practice to hook it up. It makes sure the system works, even if you don't have satellite reception (yet), such as between buildings, in tunnels etc. and the first few minutes after starting the system up (the Pioneer is quite slow getting a first fix). It also ensures the system responds quicker to turn-offs etc....

B.t.w., most CAN adapters also supply this speed signal taken off the CAN bus, amongst the other signals for lighting, switched +12, reverse etc. Saves you a lot of hassle pulling wires....
See f.i. Pioneers own: http://www.pioneer.eu/files/eur/car_acc_db/hw_remote/CA-R-PI017_R10710-08.pdf
which just pulls all the necessary signals from the CAN bus, in addition to supplying the remote interface

Also don't forget to permanently connect the handbrake input to the Pioneer to ground, otherwise a lot of functions will be disabled during driving.... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really wish i hadn't started this.....

i got the PC2-36-ampr cable today and the red wire is broken on one end so has no pin and even if it wasnt i have no idea what to do with it....the fittings on it don't match those on the stereo and the instructions provided are useless!!! what does the red cable connect to??? which do the phono's connect to?

Having downloaded the instructions for the pioneer unit off the website none of the colours on the wiring diagrams match those on the blocks from pioneer and he person that had it pefore me has clearly cut and shut bits of it.

well i have the stereo turning on and i havent done the power mod above??.....just cant get any sound!!!

plus i have no idea what a can bus is?

really wish i hadn't cut out the middle of the dash divider now.....i want my old stereo back now....all if forgiven!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i nearly had it :cool:....i had sound but it was really quite even when on full wack..any thoughts?

but then.....

i turned on the ignition and off it went......now i can get it back on :cry:

ive tried swapping the old stereo in and that worked....the fuse doesnt look gone on the new head unit. any thoughts on what it could be?

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
i think i nearly had it :cool:....i had sound but it was really quite even when on full wack..any thoughts?

but then.....

i turned on the ignition and off it went......now i can get it back on :cry:

ive tried swapping the old stereo in and that worked....the fuse doesnt look gone on the new head unit. any thoughts on what it could be?
Do you have Bose in your car ? If so, it would seem the amp is not switching on....
For Bose, there's a single wire in the yellow mini connector. This should be connected to a switched +12 to trigger the Bose amp to switch on.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Perhaps detailed photos?

Or else visit a pro ICE store and have it sorted out, especially if the original wiring has been cut-shut and you aren't confident in identifying exactly what is what.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got it working.....turns out the muppet that had it before me wired the ignition power in to the lighting so the stereo would only work with my lights on lol.

thanks for all your help throughout!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts