Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've looked all over for some more clues on the exact factory setup for the front of a Blackline and I'm still at a loss, here's the story...

Just before the MOT I felt the front of the car was a bit loose, put some new rubber on there and it felt better but not great, MOT time came, regular guy checked it over and said it was fine from an MOT point, MOT passed.

But it still didn't feel right, gets really skatty under decent right foot use, like really bad torque steer, but not if that makes any sense?? Anyway..

Had a look and someone has done a right bodge on the drivers side strut, looks like somehow the damper thread has stripped, they've packed it up with washers and there's a nut on the top with barely enough thread to clamp it in so there's clearly play!! I'll post some pics later.

So I'm just going to replace the whole strut spring and all if I can find one, and do all the arms bushes etc while I'm at it. Thing is there are so many colour codes on the springs and can I heck find one anywhere with the coding on the Blackline!!

Did they ship these out with a different suspension setup? And if I can't find right complete replacement are the dampers the same so I can just swap the spring over?

Thanks in advance, need to stop scratching my head over this and get the job done

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Paddy, what about the colour codes though can't seem to find anything definitive about them??

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If you're worried about getting the correct springs then don't replace them, just the struts. Unless there's something wrong with the springs?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're worried about getting the correct springs then don't replace them, just the struts. Unless there's something wrong with the springs?
Its just ease of swap out that I was looking to do whole strut for, plus there's a couple of ones online but they're from petrol models, but it looks like the springs are different on the diesel models, so probably just go with swapping out the damper

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I maybe selling a full set of Alfa Cloverleaf dampers and springs? They are in good order, was going to keep them as a spare set but can't really see the point in that.

I have just upgraded to Koni FSD and Eibachs.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Agree with SV, don't replace the springs unless there's something wrong with one/both of them, or you want to upgrade the suspension. The factory suspension set up isn't great so it might be a good opportunity to upgrade springs, dampers and roll bars. There are tons of threads on AO with advice and opinions about such upgrades.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Do you mean the bolts in the engine bay?

You only need to replace the alloy mount, or the top mount on the damper.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I maybe selling a full set of Alfa Cloverleaf dampers and springs? They are in good order, was going to keep them as a spare set but can't really see the point in that.

I have just upgraded to Koni FSD and Eibachs.
I don't think there's anything special about the Cloverleaf suspension.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I'm sure they had slightly lower springs. Maybe not.

I always did think my GT Looked slightly lower tho, but it was just a thought.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you mean the bolts in the engine bay?

You only need to replace the alloy mount, or the top mount on the damper.
No annoyingly its the thread of the damper, there's a full strut on ebay at the minute from a 2004 GT 1.9 which would be the easiest thing, is there a definitive answer about them all being the same?

I'm not to bothered about upgrading to be honest, I'll likely be only keep the GT for another year or so before I move onto a Brera.

But it really does seem to be hard to find info on this spring code malarky

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a pair of front struts and springs off a 3.2 GT if your interested, I think they are the same as the diesel ones but I'm sure someone will confirm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts