Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neck's aching from the constant motion of looking backwards as I've walked away from the car this last two days ;-)

Having got the oil issue sorted, I'm checking off small jobs as I go (fantastic help on here with the radio code, I even had the old Halfords tools from changing a stereo last year)

Next up: slight metallic rattle from steering column. Sounds about 4 inches closer to the engine than the Alfa badge on the wheel, so it's nothing "deep" and is only heard when going over a bump. It sounds like there's another set of keys in there gently tinkling. Any thoughts?

Likely Alfa characteristics?:
Notice a constant whirring noise, reasonably quiet, from the Auto Duel climate unit when turned off but key at MAR, I'm assuming this is just a common trait for the unit.

Also, a buzzing from the passenger side door speaker, again almost imperceptible.

Finally, the clutch 'groans' a bit, again this sounds like a spring rather than the clutch mechanism itself. Perhaps some WD40 will fix it - or just some use. The car was sat for a while before purchase.

That's literally it! Loving my GT Blackline, it has no right to look as good as it does!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi I would say that the rattle if when going over bumps is more likely to be the top suspension wishbone.

and I get the buzzing from the climate control too...

have a search or look in the usual problems in the sticky section of this section for an answer to the clutch isue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? It sounds as if its just inside the steering column?

I'll check out the stickies for clutch (although its now stopped)

Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what service are you due cambelt service, ie 36k or three years? they are not too bad but can be a bit of a pig apparently.
36k, had 26k last year so due cam/pump. If it can wait until then I'll leave it a couple of months, but no idea how big a problem it is

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Daft question, but this is going to be the drivers side top wishbone if that's the side the sounds reporting on isn't it?

Anyone recommend a good source for parts, looking on Ebay but you never know with that.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Upper Wisbones will squeak rather than rattle. More so in the morning when it is cold. A question about the tinkling. Does it do it when you turn the wheel or bang the wheel when the car is stationary? If it does then it is probably the airbag. Keep meaning to change mine on the 156 but as it isn't that loud I haven't got round to it. It's something insode it. Found it when I had the wheel apart a year or so ago.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Upper Wisbones will squeak rather than rattle. More so in the morning when it is cold. A question about the tinkling. Does it do it when you turn the wheel or bang the wheel when the car is stationary? If it does then it is probably the airbag. Keep meaning to change mine on the 156 but as it isn't that loud I haven't got round to it. It's something insode it. Found it when I had the wheel apart a year or so ago.
I need to check that actually, not sure whether it does it when stationary or not. No discernable difference when turning the wheel. Tends to just "tinkle" according to whether i'm going over a rough road surface or bump - same as the keys a few inches away!

I'll pop out at lunchtime and give the wheel a couple of taps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final post on this, in case anyone experiences similar.

As it turned out it was neither the wishbone nor the airbag. I narrowed the sound down to the panel below the steering wheel. After investigation, the rattle turned out to be coming from the two metal rods at the base of the panel - it appears the plastic hook on the bottom of the panel had come loose from one of these rods, and thus created the space for a jingling rattle. Reconnected it, rattle gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts