Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all..

Car has been fine but just now the Battery Warning light came on the dash, with the battery symbol and loss of power steering. No MCSF though. No other warning symbols.

Engine running fine, power good etc.

Any suggestions? Not seen this one before.:confused:

EDIT: Should have said "Battery Low" warning.

·
Registered
30,324 Posts
Is your aux belt still there...?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just about to pop bonnet.. Where's the aux belt? Alternator?

·
Registered
30,324 Posts
Just about to pop bonnet.. Where's the aux belt? Alternator?
Opposite end to the gearbox (ie the end with the belts on!).
It runs the alternator (to charge the battery) and the power-steering pump plus the A/C compressor.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here's what I can see with engine cover off: timing belt and below that another pulley with a belt on, this one is smaller with grooves. Below that another belt, very smooth though.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forget last post

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bizarre. Scratching head, new neighbour stops by.. He said he'll have a look, straightaway spots that the big drive belt (not timing) is very slack. I tell him well done for spotting it, he tells me he runs a motor racing team ,is no mechanic but it looks like a tensioner packed up. He then offers to climb under car with his tools, takes off a cover, and confirms that a tensioner from bottom belt has failed. Can't believe how lucky that the only guy on the street who came out runs a race team! Advent Racing apparently..

Anyway, that's the problem. Any ideas on cost to fix anyone?

·
Registered
30,324 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
None on there apparently.. I'm going to have to get a mechanic to look at it. Anyone got any ideas on how much this may cost?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts