Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the market for buying a new car and am in love with the ***** Romeo GT. Can anyone tell me the most common problems in the GT that I need to know about.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Err: ***** ?

If you mispelt something as important as that, then I think you should return to the VW. ;) :lol:

Congrats on the purchase. I hope you really enjoy the car.

What engine does it have? There can be more specific problems associated with particular engines: JTD vs JTS vs V6.

:)

ADDIT: oh, I notice you're local to me. :D You won't have a JTD cos we never got that model in Oz. And come and join us at ausalfa.com and if you love your Alfa this much you can join us at our next Meet and Drive :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Aussie ! Where are you from exactly. Everytime i spell the 'al' word it comes up with all those symbols - cant understand. Anyway I have not bought the car yet but would like one and am asking what the common problems may be. I want petrol and manual no selespeed. So what do i need to know about the engines.

Thanks Monica

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Hello Aussie ! Where are you from exactly. Everytime i spell the 'al' word it comes up with all those symbols - cant understand. Anyway I have not bought the car yet but would like one and am asking what the common problems may be. I want petrol and manual no selespeed. So what do i need to know about the engines.

Thanks Monica
Alfa ... not...... a l p h a .... simples :D

·
7,713 Posts

Thanks Monica
Hey Monica

The Oz GT's are very well spec'd compared with most overseas/UK models. On the V6, things like rear parking sensors, tinted windows, xenon headlights, etc, are all standard.

The 3.2 V6 is a fantastic car, but not very fuel efficient, and most owners would say 'requires' the standard factory differential to be replaced by the much better 'Q2' version. This is far stronger, and makes the car far more civilised; it virtually eliminates 'torque steer', which is when the steering wheel can take on a disconcerting mind of its own when the wheels squabble for traction and make the car dart around. Plus the standard diff is well known to be at risk of breaking; and if it does, that will cost many thousands to replace/repair, and may not be covered by any warranty at all. So you 'must' budget for it, and have the upgrade done as soon as possible, which will cost about AUS$2000 (better than $3000~5000 on repairs). If the seller denies any knowledge of such a problem, they are either lying or plain ignorant. The xenon headlights in the V6 are excellent.

The 2.0JTS is apparently very civilised. Not really affected by torque steer, and doesn't require a diff upgrade. Not quite as well spec'd as the V6, and misses out on the xenon headlights.

There are no common issues with Oz spec versions, except the diff in the V6. You may find the suspension 'hard', but this isn't a problem as such. Overseas earlier versions can have a 'squeak' from the rear hatch area from the body panels flexing, but Oz versions seem to have been fixed in this regard (reinforced design).

As with any car, there are wear and tear parts, and regular maintenance. Again, these are not to be viewed as 'problems', just maintenance:
*suspension parts wear, in particular the bushings on the front parts as the kilometers go up
*cambelt in the engine: needs replacing every 3 years or 60,000 km, whichever is sooner; if the car you buy is overdue, then that is a risk; if the belt snaps, it is also often many, many thousands to repair; the cost for routine belt replacement as part of a major service is up around AUS$1500~2000

The Buyer's Guide above is quite good. But the advice about the V6 cambelt is incorrect for Australia. 3 years or 60,000km here.

Any other issues will be peculiar to the particular car you look at. So just the usual common sense things: ensure everything works, car has full service history, no accident damage that isn't repaired properly, etc

In Oz, there is very little specification-difference between early models cars compared with a brand new one. It is mostly cosmetic. Probably the main differences are:
*wheel size: earlier model 2.0 = 16" wheels, 3.2 = 17" wheels; later model = 17"/18" respectively
*exterior garnishes: latest models have silver trims along the front bumper lower edges and silver door mirror coverings; latest 2.0 has twin exhaust pipe tips but early models have single tip

Realise too that the Oz importer - ATECO - usually buy cars in big batches, and it can take YEARS to sell. This means, a car like mine which is first registered in 2006, was actually built and came to Australia in 2004 (meaning 2 years sitting around before time to sell). It doesn't really matter, but dont' be confused by 'Build Date' (which is stamped on a metal tag attached to the engine bay) and 'first registered'.

Best of luck finding the right car. I live in the Geelong area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Shiny_car you have been wonderful and full of information. And if it wasnt for you I would not have been aware that the alfa's in australia affect us differently to some changes built for us and due to our hot weather too. I did register with the aussie site and noted the Q2 diff problem and the cambelts. Just one more question on the cambelt - it is every 60,000 klms or every 3 years whichever comes first isnt it - its an ongoing thing. And the 2.0JTS does not need the diff upgrade - is this the 4 cyl model or still a V6 model?
And Xenon lights - what is the difference between those and the standard lights?

And Geelong is a great place !

·
Registered
934 Posts
Check the discs for wear, see if they have scoring etc, check the rear hatch rubber bush things they can causes hatch to rattle, its quite a big hatch!

·
7,713 Posts
Thank you Shiny_car you have been wonderful and full of information. And if it wasnt for you I would not have been aware that the alfa's in australia affect us differently to some changes built for us and due to our hot weather too. I did register with the aussie site and noted the Q2 diff problem and the cambelts. Just one more question on the cambelt - it is every 60,000 klms or every 3 years whichever comes first isnt it - its an ongoing thing. And the 2.0JTS does not need the diff upgrade - is this the 4 cyl model or still a V6 model?
And Xenon lights - what is the difference between those and the standard lights?
No probs - glad I can help.

The cambelt is an ongoing thing.

Indeed, the 2.0JTS does not require the diff upgrade. It is less powerful, with less stress on the diff. And yes, the 2.0L (Jet Thrust Stochiometric) is 4cyl. The 3.2L is a V6.

The 2L is 'brisk', and should be a very nice car to drive. I used to have a 2L 156. The 3.2L is a real performance car, with a lot of power, and sounds incredible.

Xenon headlights (also called HID (high intensity discharge)) are a high voltage lighting system which is far brighter and the 'colour' of the light is very white-blue. Not like normal 'yellowy' headlights. You will see cars with these driving around at night; in particular the Honda Accord, and some European cars. They work much, much better, and if I ever have the choice in the future, I will always buy a car with them.

They are not an option on the 2L. You cannot add them (technically). In the UK, and with other marques like BMW, Audi, etc, they are an expensive option, like AUS$3000+. It's not just the actual globes, but there is a mechanism to provide 'self levelling'; meaning, if you have rear passengers that results in tilting the whole car (more weight at the rear), the xenon headlights automatically angle down more. This prevents glaring oncoming traffic, and is actually a mandatory ADR (Australian Design Regulation) requirement on all cars with xenons; the other requirement with xenons is headlight washer jets, which you will notice on the V6 GT hidden under small covers in the bumper. The levelling mechanism/electronics and washers contribute to their cost.

·
Registered
36 Posts
alfa gt

please dont bother no garage but main dealer can fix it is 95 an hour my gt i have had for 4 months is broke and no garage can find the fault an now i have no car is in the mail dealer has been there for 4 days now and nothing i payed 7 for it and is only worth 3.5k scrap and i am going to scrap it

C

·
0 Posts
please dont bother no garage but main dealer can fix it is 95 an hour my gt i have had for 4 months is broke and no garage can find the fault an now i have no car is in the mail dealer has been there for 4 days now and nothing i payed 7 for it and is only worth 3.5k scrap and i am going to scrap it

Random 1st post. Where abouts in cheshire are you?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
:lol:

very random first post! The more traditional method is to

a: say hello

b: state you have a problem

c: describe the symptoms / current status

d: ask if anyone can help?

Most of the faults will have been seen before and are usually fix-able........

·
Registered
36 Posts
ok

Hi am michael i am a disapointed gt owner 7k 6 months ago to buy broken fuel pump = 1750gbp to fix mechanical fuel pump the part alone is 1300 now i will be scraping it a 2006 car if they want to rebuild there rep you dont ask 1300 for a fuel pump when vauxhall is only 120gbp

·
Registered
19 Posts
the part alone is 1300 now i will be scraping it a 2006 car if they want to rebuild there rep you dont ask 1300 for a fuel pump when vauxhall is only 120gbp
£1300 for a fuel pump? :eek: I think you need a word with your garage!

£143.13 inc VAT from Alfa at most for any of the in tank pumps for the GT. Decent pattern parts much cheaper than that.

Since you don't say whether it was petrol or diesel, even the diesel injection pumps are at the most £689 inc VAT from Alfa, and can be had as recon parts with guarantee for under £300. Which as far as diesel injection pumps go is pretty damn cheap, you'll pay more that that for a second hand untested pump for some cars!

You'll certainly find that no Vauxhall diesel has a £120 injection pump. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
is a mechanical fuel pump on the engine it has 2 the 1 in the tank is fine the HP mechanical pump retail is 1300 have a look 2.0 jts selespeed + 400 pound to find the fault been in alfa for a week

·
Registered
19 Posts
is a mechanical fuel pump on the engine it has 2 the 1 in the tank is fine the HP mechanical pump retail is 1300 have a look 2.0 jts selespeed + 400 pound to find the fault been in alfa for a week
Ah, forgot about that pump on the JTS! :lol:

Yeah, that's a pricey one! Still can be had a lot cheaper than £1300 though. Pretty rare for them to go wrong in a manner which requires complete replacement too, certainly not a common enough fault to write off the entire model of car over!

My comment above still stands - Try buying a pump for any direct injection petrol from a main dealer. They're complicated things, I think you'll find the Alfa price is perfectly in line with other marques, and in some case looks an absolute bargain. :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts