Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
bad on 18's

get a set of 17's or 16's and pop on narrower winter tyres... not just a big difference but huge

M

·
0 Posts
bad on 18's

get a set of 17's or 16's and pop on narrower winter tyres... not just a big difference but huge

G

·
0 Posts
First winter with my 156 Q-system auto... thought it was going to be a nightmare with having a V6 and an auto in snow but the little "ice" button works fantastic...Not one slip from the wheels, well impressed!:thumbs:

·
Registered
822 Posts
The traction control on my 20V certainly works to stop wheelspin and makes things very controlled but it just doesn't get up snowy hills very well. I was just happy to get back in the drive so didn't 'play' further but it felt like it would have gone better with a bit of wheel spin ie it turned off.

Keith

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think we should all thank the v6 owners..... without there cars adding to global warming we could have alot more snow /sarc :p

has anyone tryed the socks on 16" wheels do they work?

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My JTD is useless in the snow. I have been stuck on an incline already before Christmas. Thankfully a local and a spade or two helped me clear a inch or so of snow.
The Rover 25 I had before with no driving aids was reasonable but the VW passat before that had a brilliant ESP program that I am sad to say makes the Alfa one a joke! Mind you it is only ASR on the Alfa not the full system. That Passat was only stoppable when I had beached it on deep snow :lol:
There is a slope coming out from where my GF lives and the Vectra ahead of me had no issues at all on Saturday, I on the other hand only just made it.
17" with Goodyear Eagles F1's.

·
Registered
912 Posts
>SMUG Mode on<

Kleber Quadraxer all season tyres on an old set of 16in Teledials - no problems anywhere and I live in the Peak District near to Buxton.

>SMUG Mode off<

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
My 20v on 17" Rainsport 2s has amazing traction, coped perfectly with 5" of snow with no slippage including on inclines, braking could be better but I guess we could all say that. No really surprising with all that weight over the front wheels; it makes me smile when you see Beemers struggling on just a light dusting of snow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 20v on 17" Rainsport 2s has amazing traction, coped perfectly with 5" of snow with no slippage including on inclines, braking could be better but I guess we could all say that. No really surprising with all that weight over the front wheels; it makes me smile when you see Beemers struggling on just a light dusting of snow.
For my beloved AR 156 2,0 jts SW
Got 16 " in the snow and Wintertyres Goodyear UG 7 + and esc on ekcellent :lol:
Alfa Romeo 156 og lidt sne - YouTube
had to wait for the snow to be removed in one lane!!! : Alfa Romeo 156 i sne - YouTube
and for christmas : White christmas in the radio nice : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPkxm1mOpXc&feature=related
- 23,5 yesterday I hate that Siberian winter grasping for me in Denmark :cool:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've had no trouble driving in the snow, got 18"s on, no Q2, didn't slip about, I would say it's probably one off the best cars I've owned for driving in the snow :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
I suspect my mostly worn tyres (on 16" wheels) may have been a major contributor to my problems. From what people have said about the Rainsports they are definately going on soon. Battery died on the Alfa this morning so had to take the Volvo instead. Now BMWs may be bad but 2 tons of rwd estate is certainly worse. I got stuck getting out of the drive :rolleyes:

Keith

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 147 is on its 195/60/15 Vredestein Snowtrac 3 for the third winter. Never got stuck. Can get going from a standstill up a snowy incline. Grip brilliantly on a cold wet road surface too.

So far, I've done 13,000 miles on the winter tyres and there is still 6mm of tread left. Winter tyres wear A LOT more slowly than summer tyres during cold weather.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I do think maybe reading some of the above in my case it is tyres that are the issue.
I had budget tyres on both the Rover and VW, though the latter came with 17" RS6 lookalike wheels.
I actually wonder now that maybe budget tyres cope better than these Goodyear I have on :confused:

My 1000th post ;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had no problem driving my GT (JTD & 18 inch wheels) in the snow last year, and for a change the snow was pretty bad here in the Emerald Isle. Had about 3-4 inches of snow some days and I even managed to drive up a steep twisty hill without loosing traction at all.
Had Toyo T1 Sports on and they had plenty of thread (were only 2-3 months old) so maybe it's a case of having good tyres making the difference.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I do think maybe reading some of the above in my case it is tyres that are the issue.
I had budget tyres on both the Rover and VW, though the latter came with 17" RS6 lookalike wheels.
I actually wonder now that maybe budget tyres cope better than these Goodyear I have on :confused:

My 1000th post ;)[/I]

My last car was a Rover 25 diesel with Rainsports on and I concure that it was pretty brilliant in the snow. I was going to change the tyres on the Alfa at Christmas but it seemed like we were not going to get a bad winter so I just changed them around so they would last until the Spring. If we get any more snow though they are going straight away :cool:

Keith

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had a set of winter tyres for the 156 Sportwagon, made life much easier. I drove from Geneva to Frankfurt through a snowstorm one January before I fitted them, bit hairy in places but no real problem.

My first day with the GT and guess what - it's snowing! No problems so far though.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Winter tyres rule - 16" are better option as they are likely to be less wide for the same rolling radius. With the Q2 helping out I went up the hill to my house last winter with no issues - unlike the doctor who lived in the next house in her Audi Quattro estate with road tyres.

No snow at all this year so my winter tyres have been a bit of a waste - apart from keeping the nasty salt off the pristine 18" alloys :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts