Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably old news and really obvious stuff but given the time of year, I thought I'd just post up some of the problems I had in the snow last year with my Alfa.

ABS & VDC failure warning lights

After trying to get uphill in the show with a lot of wheel spin, I got this scary looking message flashing up on the dash. Restarting the car didn't work, and I thought I was looking at a big bill.

However, this was just caused by the wheels spinning too much. The cure is just to drive a few hundred yards with no wheel spin, and you're sorted. Phew!

Handbrake frozen

Apparently very common. Just park in gear with the handbrake off, otherwise you need to try and defrost the brake which can take a good while. I had to replace the handbrake cables after Christmas after trying to drive off too soon - probably not unrelated.

Windows freezing shut

The window lowers by a couple of inches when you open the door - normally not a problem, apart from when it gets icy. This can cause the window to get stuck to the bottom seal, so it doesn't drop. This means that the door won't always shut properly once you're in, and I think it might also require the windows to be reset.

I took to keeping de-icer spray in the boot (left it in the back seat once, and of course this defeated the purpose!) and/or running a very thin card between the seal and the window to break the ice a little.

Sorry if this is obvious stuff, but it might be of use to any new GT owners here, should it get quite cold this winter.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You might want to add door handles to this non exhaustive list :lol:

I spray some silicone on the door handles and along the upper lip of the window and rubberised door seal to help reduce the risk of freezing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got away with the handles freezing thank God! I did try the silicon stuff for the window, but clearly arsed it up as I just ended up getting the window all greasy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good call on the handles - missed them out with the silicone lube up i gave Alfie at the weekend.

Worried about the handbrake cables - think mine are worn.

Good call on the de-icer for the seal along the window - great minds...i picked some up this weekend for just that purpose.

Silicone - do it and leave it for a long while - takes time to dry, especially with the weather the way it is.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably have the receipt, but can't remember if I had other work done at the same time too. I think it was about 2 hours labour.

Like I said, remember to keep the de-icer in the boot! I thought I was very clever buying it, until I was looking at it through the frozen window, stored in the back seat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just went to the shops last night and the front brakes seemed a little sticky (or could have been the handbrake) when I first started her up- problem for anyone else?

Thought I'd run over the neighbours cat for a second :lol:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
ABS & VDC failure warning lights

After trying to get uphill in the show with a lot of wheel spin, I got this scary looking message flashing up on the dash. Restarting the car didn't work, and I thought I was looking at a big bill.

However, this was just caused by the wheels spinning too much. The cure is just to drive a few hundred yards with no wheel spin, and you're sorted. Phew!

Happened to my Passat (which was superb in the snow). I hope the GT is at least half as good!

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Should ASR be switched off when on the slippy stuff?
Not really no. From the Handbook:-

IMPORTANT When travelling on snowy
roads with snow chains, it may be helpful
to turn the ASR off: in fact, in these conditions,
slipping of the driving wheels when
moving off makes it possible to obtain better
drive.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The ABS/VDC failure can also be cleared if you can manage to brake really hard - but if conditions are icy, this should obviously be avoided.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My radio cd stops working if the temp outside gets lower than 3 degrees:confused:, as for driving in the snow did'nt have a problem last year.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Maybe it's just me. My car has heated seats and I rarely use them however I'm sure with my Climate on full auto that the seat warms instantly for about 20s. This is not the first car I've had with leather and not noticed this warming on any of the others (which have not had heated seats). I have not had a curry either :lol:

Is it me?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts