Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: :mad: Some little s**t decided to steal my GT's aerial, ye fair enuff only ten quid to replace so not the end of the world, however the lil s**t decided to just yank the aerial off instead of unscrewing it!!! The lil s**t therefore pulled the thread bit shown in the pic out of the aerial base luckily the lil s**t didnt scratch any of my paintwork during this process. And the the thread bit was left on top of the aerial base the w****r must have realised they needed to twist to undo the aerial. :mad:

So the dilema i have now is the threaded bit wont fit back into the aerial base, where do i go from here??? Dont really want to be ripping all the headlining back or ripping the aerial base from the roof.

Not a happy bunny!!! :rant:

Attachments

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
bl00dy idiots!

i'm not 100% sure, but i expect you'll need to replace the whole base, and unfortuately that means dropping the headlining to access the nut that holds it in place.

:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Shiny,

Ye i didnt know about the bolt holding the aerial base in place but i imagined that the roof lining would have to come off. Might have found a quick 20 quid fix though.

Found this on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shark-Fin-Aerial-Antenna-ALFA-ROMEO-GT-Gift-Idea_W0QQitemZ350193892817QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item350193892817&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

With my reckoning i will be able to cut into the original aerial base to make the thread fit. Once done i can then screw the shark fin into the thread then stick the shark fin over the original aerial base.

Bit of a bodgit job but should work. Will no doubt get stick for it though with it been a german look alike looks like someone has all ready bought one though. So i wont be the only person with one.

The radio reception wont be as good but only listen to radio to find out about traffic jams any way.

BTW Just had a look at your pics of the alpine head unit that you have got fitted, noticed you have the same red leather interior as mine, Hows your leather holding up???? My GT has done 78000 now and its still looking good, its worn slightly on the drivers side edge but that happens to any leather seat.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
So the dilema i have now is the threaded bit wont fit back into the aerial base, where do i go from here??? Dont really want to be ripping all the headlining back or ripping the aerial base from the roof.

Not a happy bunny!!! :rant:
can you post pics of the base there may be a better way to repair the mount.

M

·
0 Posts
I think the roof lining on the GT is the same as the 147. Do you have a courtesy light at the rear? Is it at all possible to get to the retaining bolt through the hole where the lamp fits? On the 147 the two points are not in line but it maybe worth a go??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm starting to regret the idea of even suggesting that shark fin lol, Chavvy and BMWY both not good things, definitely wouldnt leave it the gloss black that it is though.

See pic below of aerial base, the problem is getting the threaded bit back inside as the square part of the thread will not fit threw the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will go check now sparkywills 1, Never travelled or had many people in the back so i dont know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just popped the rear courtesy light out and i can see the wires going to the aerial base and the bolt holding it in place however there is no way of getting a spanner or socket to it whatsoever. So the whole headlining would have to come out. Dont use radio too much anyway might just super glue an aerial to the base and be done with it lol.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
you may be able to just drop the back edge/corner down. with the courtesy light out, and removing the hatch rubber seal, you may be able to reach through from there.

i like things to be fixed (!) so when you have the time, i think you should give it a go.

:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
unless you get a decent connection between the antenna and the wire your not going to get any reception i can't see from the hole enought detail.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've bitten the bullet, New aerial base on order with Mangoletsi costing me 40quid all because some lil s**t wanted to steal a 9 pound aerial. Also got new front and rear badge on order so busy weekend for me. Will take pics to show how its done or how its not done!

·
Registered
624 Posts
When you catch the little **** use the bit that broke off to ram up his japs eye that will teach the little ****er

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any joy with replacing the Aerial unit ?

I have the same problem trying to replace the little fixing unit to enable me to screw in the aerial ( Kindly removed by the Car Wash - :mad:)

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Any joy with replacing the Aerial unit ?

I have the same problem trying to replace the little fixing unit to enable me to screw in the aerial ( Kindly removed by the Car Wash - :mad:)

Why do you think the aerials are removable?!? :rolleyes:

I'd never use a car wash anyway ... unless I wanted the paintwork covered in tiny scratches! (or a sponge to wash the car).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes Ray is quite correct - I did the same - mine got pulled out by the local car wash - just removed the rear interior light unit - removed the seal along the rear hatch & bpulled a couple of retaining plugs - Wiring clips are a fiddly but easily doable - I found by standing outside the car reaching in that getting the nut to bite on the new base much easier too. Best of luck.

Ps Now remember to UNSCREW the aerial prior to going through the car wash. :thumbs:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes Ray is quite correct - I did the same - mine got pulled out by the local car wash - just removed the rear interior light unit - removed the seal along the rear hatch & bpulled a couple of retaining plugs - Wiring clips are a fiddly but easily doable - I found by standing outside the car reaching in that getting the nut to bite on the new base much easier too. Best of luck.

Ps Now remember to UNSCREW the aerial prior to going through the car wash. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts