Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GT Blackline 1.9 JTDm
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another quick question folks.........sometimes I can change from 5th to 6th and it will change as smooth as silk and slip right into gear and then other times it refuses to go into 6th and is almost like trying to change up a gear when there isn’t another one to change into!.When it doesn’t slip into 6th I have to go back into 5th and almost be quite forceful.

I’m pressing the clutch pedal to the floor and it is only selecting 6th that is an issue as all the other gears change perfectly all the time, is it a matter of technique?, as I’d have though if it was a mechanical problem it would do it all the time and there are no ominous noises from the gearbox etc.

·
Registered
JTD 8v stage1+
472 Posts
Could be inside gearbox (gear, fork, sludge) or external (cable, ball joints, adjust).

·
Registered
911 Posts
Could be something broken/getting in the way at the gear stick end. While replacement of parts there require coming up from under the car, you should be able to see something if you remove some trim and the gear stick boot and have a look there from the cabin.

·
Registered
'06 GT 3.2
26 Posts
I have the same issue with my GT. The 6th gear is sometimes stuck "behind" the reverse lock. If you try, you can probably get the 6th gear in no problem if you lift the reverse lock. You can also check it by lifting off the shifter boot. I have kinda forgot about this issue as I have got used to just shifting to 6th by lifting the reverse lock, but I have thought of trying to adjust the shifter cable from the gearbox end. I am not entirely sure what is causing it, I think on mine it might be caused by the whole shifter "frame" being fairly loose. It's not fun to get access to though.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You can adjust the left/right movement of the gear lever using a 13mm nut on the linkage on top of the gearbox (under the battery). Search on here for 6th gear adjustment or similar for a full guide.

If you are having problems selecting 6th or have to use the reverse collar, it is likely this needs adjusting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can adjust the left/right movement of the gear lever using a 13mm nut on the linkage on top of the gearbox (under the battery). Search on here for 6th gear adjustment or similar for a full guide.

If you are having problems selecting 6th or have to use the reverse collar, it is likely this needs adjusting.
thanks for that Chris, it does seem as though the gearstick needs moving to the left slightly.I lifted the gearstick gaiter up and had a look and everything seems as though it is bolted to the floor as it should be but it appears that to engage 6th the stick is right up against the reverse stop bit of the frame with no clearance at all so it looks as though it needs moving over slightly to the left.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

i did this yesterday, I marked the two plates with a white marker before undoing the 13mm nut so and had a reference point and I only move the one plate approx 3mm but it now changes into 6th gear perfectly and reverse also seems easier as well......thanks for the tip 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts