Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just received my lovely new black alu/leather gear knob. Before I endeavour to remove the cheap & horrible plastic knob, can I just establish that this will unscrew from the stick anticlockwise, albeit with epoxy to overcome.

Any tips welcomed:paranoid:
Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
The 6-speed gearknobs in the GT are push-fit and unless you have the gearknob puller they are very hard to remove. Before I bought the puller I used to put both hands on the gearknob, one foot in each footwell and then use my knees to push up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 6-speed gearknobs in the GT are push-fit and unless you have the gearknob puller they are very hard to remove. Before I bought the puller I used to put both hands on the gearknob, one foot in each footwell and then use my knees to push up.
Thanks Pud - glad I asked as I would have tried unscrewing. Mines an 08 Clover though, so still push fit (I just seem to recall someone saying that this one's threaded)?

Chris:thumbup:

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Not come across any that are threaded yet.. Sometimes a little twisting can help break the seal but they are splined as a rule, so shouldn't turn at all.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Take it you had a bad back after a few of these? :biglaugh:

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Take it you had a bad back after a few of these? :biglaugh:
Its not my favourite job, put it that way! Thankfully when Lloyd Alfa Romeo in Carlisle shut down I bought all their Alfa specific dealer tools, one of which was the gear knob puller. In retrospect it wouldn't be hard to make one really, its just a threaded bar with an end that pushed against the gearshifter base and the other hooks under the gearknob.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys - might look to tackle this at the weekend - when tolerance and strength levels are higher!:biglaugh:
Chris

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I used mole grips and twisted to break the seal and then a lot of pulling effing and blinding!

took about 15 mins of full on effort.

well worth it though, the OE one looks crap when it starts to peel, much prefer my simone racing one:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Hair drier on hot first for a good 5mins. It needs to be soft before you pull it off not hard (the glue I mean). Give it a good tug once you've warmed it up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hair drier on hot first for a good 5mins. It needs to be soft before you pull it off not hard (the glue I mean). Give it a good tug once you've warmed it up.
This.

It's pretty easy when warm, still have to tug it hard mind...

·
Registered
630 Posts
when Lloyd Alfa Romeo in Carlisle shut down I bought all their Alfa specific dealer tools
Lucky you're 6000 miles away or I'd be around at your house every weekend :biglaugh: Glad you posted this thread Chrissy, was going to ask the same question as I just found someone selling OEM GTA knobs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lucky you're 6000 miles away or I'd be around at your house every weekend :biglaugh: Glad you posted this thread Chrissy, was going to ask the same question as I just found someone selling OEM GTA knobs
I'll let everyone know how things pan out with removal of old knob and pics of new - will have a go over holiday period.
Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok - so new gear knob fitted! Top tip - Use hairdryer for 5 - 10 mins to soften up epoxy. Strong ant-clockwise turns and knob unscrews, so definitely threaded on shaft. Took about 10 mins in total.

Pics of new knob attached - I think I chose well - looks really good and OEM.

Thanks to all for help with this.
Happy Easter!!!:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok - so new gear knob fitted! Top tip - Use hairdryer for 5 - 10 mins to soften up epoxy. Strong ant-clockwise turns and knob unscrews, so definitely threaded on shaft. Took about 10 mins in total.

Pics of new knob attached - I think I chose well - looks really good and OEM.

Thanks to all for help with this.
Happy Easter!!!:thumbup:
Should also mention if anyone else buys one of these from Squadra Sportiva - use some tape to build up shaft a little (I used some 'gaffer tape') for tighter fit before securing with allen screw. Great quality items - in my view worth the extra cost.
Chris

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Did you take any photos of the threaded shaft out of interest? It could well be splined and you've just ripped the old plastic splines out of the inside of the old gear knob.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you take any photos of the threaded shaft out of interest? It could well be splined and you've just ripped the old plastic splines out of the inside of the old gear knob.
Hi Pud

No, but wish I had to verify. Definitely around an inch of thread on top of shaft on my Clover - had a good look. Didn't need to use undue force once epoxy surrendered.
Chris

1 - 20 of 37 Posts