Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered in several threads but I need a little clarification so please bear with me.

Long time lurker, rare poster; my 2000 156 2.0 TS has succumbed to the demon rust and so is bound for the great parking lot in the sky...:depressed:

However it is being replaced with a 2008 GT 1.9 JTD Collezione 11 with a full dealer history, belts, tensioners, water pump, wishbones and steering rack just recently replaced. Me likey!

Only niggle is a nick in the chrome/alloy/aluminium gear knob. I originally thought I could sand it back but now I read it is actually just coated plastic. So I want to change this soon.

I'm reading up about it and haven't got a clear picture on removing the chrome 6 speed, lift-reverse knob. Is it glued, screwed or both? Some say twist, some say heat, some say just pull at it. Also, knob gags, let's get it over with.:biglaugh:

Can I remove the top knob and leave the lift-ring in place? I realise I'll have to enlarge the hole to accommodate the shaft (Ooh matron!)

It may be obvious once I look at the hardware; I'm not afraid of getting stuck in. I replaced the wooden knob with a leather one and shortened the shaft on my 156; but that was a simple 5 speed. Thanks for your patience!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just the top piece, yes. The lift collar is a separate piece from the knob. The shaft just has grooves to prevent the knob from turning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Evening Ladies and Gents
I'm a longtime Alfa owner but recent joiner to the forum and first-time poster, so please be gentle with me!
So why am I piping up now?
I'm in love with my '08 GT and now it's starting to get a few niggles I'm keen to keep it tickety-boo, starting with replacing the gear knob.
I'm no expert when it comes to car maintenance - I did my own servicing etc when I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it but that was long ago, so it's great to get full, blow-by-blow details from you guys...keep up the detail!
Specifically my gearknob then....so I'm expecting to pull it off rather than unscrew it and get the message that applying heat with a hairdryer to melt the glue is going to help. But where do I apply the heat - to the knob or the shaft?
PS so many opportunities for knob-gags I felt it didn't need me to point them out so insert your own punchlines where you feel like it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out the top of the shaft was threaded on mine; the knob was secured with glue over the thread. I tried pulling and heating repeatedly but had no joy. Eventually resorted to the hacksaw approach and then could see the thread. So apparently some are threaded, others splined.

Replaced it with a Richbrook unit, needed to make my own adaptor as the shaft is narrower than the dimensions the replacement parts. I also sanded back the inside for the lift-reverse movement to fit smoothly.

All told, it was more work than I thought I was taking on. It's all done now and looks the business.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this has been covered in several threads but I need a little clarification so please bear with me.

Long time lurker, rare poster; my 2000 156 2.0 TS has succumbed to the demon rust and so is bound for the great parking lot in the sky...:depressed:

However it is being replaced with a 2008 GT 1.9 JTD Collezione 11 with a full dealer history, belts, tensioners, water pump, wishbones and steering rack just recently replaced. Me likey!

Only niggle is a nick in the chrome/alloy/aluminium gear knob. I originally thought I could sand it back but now I read it is actually just coated plastic. So I want to change this soon.

I'm reading up about it and haven't got a clear picture on removing the chrome 6 speed, lift-reverse knob. Is it glued, screwed or both? Some say twist, some say heat, some say just pull at it. Also, knob gags, let's get it over with.:biglaugh:

Can I remove the top knob and leave the lift-ring in place? I realise I'll have to enlarge the hole to accommodate the shaft (Ooh matron!)

It may be obvious once I look at the hardware; I'm not afraid of getting stuck in. I replaced the wooden knob with a leather one and shortened the shaft on my 156; but that was a simple 5 speed. Thanks for your patience!
I just changed the gear knob on my GT & used a plumbers wrench to remove the old one. Took little effort & about 10 x secs. The new one took a lot longer to fit mainly due to dropping the tiny screws down the side of the seat & not bothering to read the instruction leaflet. Once i'd retrieved the screws using a cable tie & strategic flicking & read the leaflet. It took about 10 x mins. My sense of achievement is immense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts