Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am just about to pop my Alfa cherry by buying a 2005 registered GT with a 55 plate.

The car dealer has been advertsing the vehicle as being the 1.9JTD M-jet but has indicated that the car is only subject to £155 per annum road tax i.e. VED band G. However, based on the Parkers guide the M-jet should be VED band I and therefore £200 per annum. Instead it's the 1.9JTDm that is VED band G.

Alfa Romeo GT (04 on) - Facts & Figures - Parker's

Forgive my ignorance but is the JTDm engine multi-jet or not? If so any ideas why the tax is cheaper for the JTDm compared to the M-jet?

Very confused and looking for guidance.

Cheers

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes and no, it is multijet but not badged as such, they rebadged when the upgraded the injectors.

I have the supposed older one, and there's very little difference, certainly no enough to specifically discount or include a particular car. If the rest of the car is good, go for it a be happy with the marginally lower tax :)

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
The emissions for the GT 1.9 JTDm should be 165 CO2 (g/km) so the road tax is £155 from 1st April 2010. However since you have a 55-plate GT this may have the older M-Jet engine which had the higher CO2 output. Both are multi-jets but the small m in JTDm stands for modificata - indicating the uprated injectors and ECU parameters - and hence the lower CO2.

You need to see the V5 document for the GT and confirm which engine it has. The badging at the rear will also indicate the engine type but the deciding figure is the V5 - this will indicate which engine the GT has and how much tax you pay. But from memory on a 55-plate it's probably the older M-Jet, as I think the JTDm came out early 2006.

Good point though - £155 on Band G and £200 on Band I is a fairly big difference for a minor mod!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. I've asked the dealer to tax it for me and they have confirmed that the cost is £155. I guess they would have to tax it based on what is shown on the V5 so it sounds like it is the JTDm.

P

·
0 Posts
as its a 2005, jtdm, and it has only cost £155, i would assume it is therefore the earlier 140bhp JTDm, your local Alfa spares dept will clarify it for you if you giver them the numbers to run.

that would figure, as the later M-jet with the uprated injectors, and suited mapping, kicks out 150bhp, which has to kick more Co2, too, yep?

but don't worry or feel in any way inferior, its only at the outright peak i gather, the torque is nigh on identical at there respective peaks, and a decent remap will have you whistling up to 175bhp'ish from the 140bhp lump anyway.

enjoy it, it will be fab i'm sure

welcome to the converted, i hope you'll feel at home soon!

shrew

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine's an '05 and is a JTDm which falls into the lower tax band. It's badged "JTD", not "JTDm" but all documents show JTDm.

There's quite a few threads detailing a lot of confusion on this issue. A few are badged "JTDm", but this seems quite rare.

No all diesel gts are 150bhp
Some models are 170BHP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys, all really useful stuff here and given me some reassurance.

LiamGT, you mention you have an 05 GT JTDm. How long have you had it? Are you please you bought it? Have you noticed any niggles that you can warn me about?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts