Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
alfa 156 3.0 v6
Neither on Eibachs. The Eibachs are A) Too low and B) too soft, especially with the weight of the V6. Monroes with original GTA springs would be the way to go for you. You can pick them up handy enough second hand. Either that or coil overs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Neither on Eibachs. The Eibachs are A) Too low and B) too soft, especially with the weight of the V6. Monroes with original GTA springs would be the way to go for you. You can pick them up handy enough second hand. Either that or coil overs.
Eibach has diff set of front springs for v6.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Hmm, interesting, I used 156 SW 1.9/2.4 Eibachs and the GTA/GT 3.2/Sportpack Monroes on my 147 to try and eliminate any problems like this. Monroe make (made ?) about 6 or 7 different rear ones for 147s, 156s and GTs but the same front for all those cars, my logic was to pick the ones designed for the lowest factory springs.

The rear was pretty high, as expected with 156 SW springs on a 147, the front low but not too low (can get 2 fingers between arch and tyre).

I have a 1.9 GT now and I ve swapped the springs and dampers over to the new car. The front seems about the same height as on the 147, but strangely the rear is very very low, I can only get 1 finger between the arch and tyre. I have the standard top mount, not the lower sportpack/GTA type, so cant gain any extra height by changing the top mounts.

Pud said youre an expert on this, so n=been meaning to ask you - I cant understand why 156 SW springs/dampers make a GT sit so low, they must have altered teh height of the rea mounts.

Luckily the 147 was a project and so is the GT so I ve only used them to drive a few hundred meters to the garage to work on the cars and hopefully havent damaged them, clearly I need to find a solution for the rears before I do.
So what you are experiencing is exactly what I had with the Eibachs. Except I found my front very soft, and bouncy, i.e. it would kind of see saw after a dip or rise in the road before settling. The GTA front and GT 3.2 rear springs give a perfect, level front to rear, ride height similar to the Sportpack that came on my car from the factory, but with the Monroes and Michelin primacy 3's, a superb ride together with nice fluid handling. Its the best set up I've ever had on the car since buying new in 2003 and 286k miles. You can pick up second hand springs for roughly £60-£100 for the set of 4. Its very close to our Giulia in terms of ride, its that good. The problem with the Eibach is they offer the same rear spring for all models, 147, GT, 156 saloon and SW, and as far as I know the same front for diesels/V6's. They don't work. So while I have you, know of any reflexes available to buy ?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts