Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well here we go again... After 2 1/2 years away from Alfa Ownership I have finally returned to the marque. (There was a brief dabble with a T/S GTV; but that doesn't count for me!).

Today I have secured a deal on a '05 GT 3.2. Should be delivered tomorrow and will have pride of place in my Garage. There are several known jobs to be done to bring the car up to standard and probably a couple of subtle modifications on the way too...

The car will basically be a 3rd car, but I hope to be using it regularly in a few weeks time once all the compulsory and some of the optional jobs have been done..

Wife thinks I'm crazy and really should know better - but I've reached that point now where my Alfa Scratch needs itching - bit like Marmite really!

Pics to follow soon... Closely followed by expense and tears, (of joy?). :thumbu p:

G

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I’ve had my 3.2 for five years next month and done over 40k in that time. It’s been the best car I’ve owned and no major issues so far, just the usual suspension, radiator, cambelts etc. It’s been to the south of France (and is going again in the summer), Brittany, and on various UK holidays.

I hope you’ve got a good one, and enjoy it as much as I have mine. I’ve no plans to sell, and no idea what I would replace it with anyway.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Bought just at the right time. You are not going to lose any money on this. I'm keeping my eye out for busso'd cars under £5000. Have a fondness for red or tan leather.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi all,

Well here we go again... After 2 1/2 years away from Alfa Ownership I have finally returned to the marque. (There was a brief dabble with a T/S GTV; but that doesn't count for me!).

Today I have secured a deal on a '05 GT 3.2. Should be delivered tomorrow and will have pride of place in my Garage. There are several known jobs to be done to bring the car up to standard and probably a couple of subtle modifications on the way too...

The car will basically be a 3rd car, but I hope to be using it regularly in a few weeks time once all the compulsory and some of the optional jobs have been done..

Wife thinks I'm crazy and really should know better - but I've reached that point now where my Alfa Scratch needs itching - bit like Marmite really!

Pics to follow soon... Closely followed by expense and tears, (of joy?). :thumbu p:

G
Congrats....

I have a Busso in a GTV, and my last car was a 250bhp 1.9 Blackline..

Great timing as the GT V6 seems to have bottomed out price wise..

Although you discount your GTV 2.0 as "counting" I have a 2.0 Zoe spider and a 2.0 GTV in addition to my Busso engined GTV and think the twinnies have their charm as well...in fact toe to toe on B roads the Twinnie has it IMHO.

Busso in a GT though..? What's not too like !!

A GTA in all but name.

Enjoy your new car ..:thumbu p:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats....

I have a Busso in a GTV, and my last car was a 250bhp 1.9 Blackline..

Great timing as the GT V6 seems to have bottomed out price wise..

Although you discount your GTV 2.0 as "counting" I have a 2.0 Zoe spider and a 2.0 GTV in addition to my Busso engined GTV and think the twinnies have their charm as well...in fact toe to toe on B roads the Twinnie has it IMHO.

Busso in a GT though..? What's not too like !!

A GTA in all but name.

Enjoy your new car ..:thumbu p:
Hi,

I know where you are with the T/S GTV - good fun! But I had my first Busso experience several years ago. I have waited some time for this and turned away from other alternatives that were good; but not 'just right' Once you find the right one hang on to it. They are certainly becoming sought after as we can all see it GTA prices - all other models will probably follow suit in time!?

For me though - You buy these cars to drive and enjoy them. It's what they were meant for!

·
Registered
558 Posts
My GT V6 has been stored in my Uncle’s garage in Scotland for the winter. Going up there for a drive round the NC500 to reacquaint with it. I just love the headroom of the Busso. Such a lovely engine to drive. I was up for selling it with imminent Giulia Veloce arrival however am going to try and hang on to it even if it’s parked up the road for a wee while to keep the miles off her. They’ll only go one way now for good ones.

Cheers!
Iain

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I was just looking at the mileage on mine from the last few MOT’s, I really should drive it more! 3805 miles in the last 3 years. Upside of that, is every time I drive it, the whole car feels special.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update 1.

Car delivered. Carefully cleaned and placed in the garage ready for the following weekend. Following day got it out and drove one of my favorite roads quite late one evening, (Wye Valley), just brilliant! Smile on my face the rest of the day. Quite poor MPG recorded on the OBC; really can't think why! :punch:

Returned to garage. Still smiling... (Alfa lights are still crap) but I still looked back at it again before it was locked away! :cloud9:

G

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Update 1.

Car delivered. Carefully cleaned and placed in the garage ready for the following weekend. Following day got it out and drove one of my favorite roads quite late one evening, (Wye Valley), just brilliant! Smile on my face the rest of the day. Quite poor MPG recorded on the OBC; really can't think why! :punch:

Returned to garage. Still smiling... (Alfa lights are still crap) but I still looked back at it again before it was locked away! :cloud9:

G
Chepstow to Monmouth? Great road if not busy!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: alfabeat

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I was in the Forest of Dean today but did not have time to get to the Wye Valley. Shame as it’s a great road - oh and we were in the wife’s DS3 which would not have quite been the same....!!!!

I’ve put Philips 130% brighter bulbs in for both dipped and main which has improved the headlights quite a lot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve put Philips 130% brighter bulbs in for both dipped and main which has improved the headlights quite a lot.
I probably need to do something like that too? But on closer inspection I need to 'polish' out what seems like a blurred lens slightly on both sides. (bit 'foggy' and not very smooth to the touch!). I know there are loads of different kits you can buy. Anyone have any experience of what works on the GT as I have not done this before!? :disappointed:

From there brighter bulbs sounds good. Any particular make or dare I ask at the local Halff0rds. (Apologies - bad experiences twice there before with Staff not knowing what they are advising!) :grumpy::grumpy:

Thanks
G.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Philips Extreem +130% or Osram Nightbreakers. Don't buy the Halfords own-brand equivalent. They are cheaper and work, but are notoriously short-lived and you'll be doing it again very soon. Look around and you can get much better prices than Halfords for the Osram/Philips bulbs. I got 2H1+2H7 (for a 147) Philips +130% from Amazon for £37. Very pleased with them and they've lasted 18months so far.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:nuts:Update 2.

My daily driver is in for its MOT tomorrow so I'm driving the GT to work! 65 mile round trip, mixture of roads...

Just as well I have replaced the discs and pads and fitted an Exide battery. Cleaned inside and out at the weekend, even fitted a new bonnet badge once I had removed the remnants of the previous one, held on with one screw and double sided sticky tape around the edges. (FYI - Autoglym Tar Remover was excellent at removing the residue!). Filled up with Unleaded tonight ready for tomorrows fun! :wink_org:

G

·
Registered
231 Posts
Philips Extreem +130% or Osram Nightbreakers. Don't buy the Halfords own-brand equivalent. They are cheaper and work, but are notoriously short-lived and you'll be doing it again very soon. Look around and you can get much better prices than Halfords for the Osram/Philips bulbs. I got 2H1+2H7 (for a 147) Philips +130% from Amazon for £37. Very pleased with them and they've lasted 18months so far.
Agreed. I fit the Phillips 130+ in mine and Osram Rallye 65s in the mains. Can't really fault them tbh and I do a LOT of late night country road fast work. You have two upgrade paths- standard lights with uprated bulbs and run the power form the battery via a relay and fuse, or an HID conversion such as this:

https://www.retrofitlab.com/blog/xenon-projector-mounted-on-alfa-romeo-gt/

https://www.retrofitlab.com/xenon-projector-kit/bi-xenon-mini-h1-twin-kit.html

That's the route I'd take... works out at 250E for the set

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update 3.

...and the 65 mile round trip to work was - Fine! Longest journey I have completed thus far, (but will be going much further soon in search of 'England's best driving roads').

Drove to the office at a steady pace, came home on quiet roads a little quicker. Did get a 'knowing nod' from another black GT driven on the M5 quite early in the morning as he overtook me...

The simple, sometimes expensive, sometimes frustrating, pleasure of Alfa ownership - this time my stupid grin lasted all day!

G

1 - 20 of 31 Posts